Casting - Rod, reel or both?

sheffields12

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One thing I noticed when fishing on larger ponds was that I couldnt cast very far.

I'm float fishing, using a waggler float so there isn't too much weight on my line. Now and then I wanted to cast out a bit further out.

Is it a better rod I need (I only have a cheap 10ft one) or a better reel? Again, i'm only using a cheap reel (https://www.fishingrepublic.net/sha...1262646.html?gclid=CLr1692PptECFQ08GwodFKwDvQ)

If anyone cal help that would be great, my mate has a better 12ft rod for me, but if I need a better reel i will look into upgrading soon, but my budget is only about £30-40 for now.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The above suggestion is a good start - what weight waggler float are you fishing with?

also is your reel full to the lip with line? - If it about half full then this can affect the distance you can cast

sheffields12

Reaction score
Line is full.

Not sure on weight, I've not been out for past few weeks!

Could you reccomend a decent waggler? As I'm new I have no idea! :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If you are wanting to cast a fair distance then you will need at least a 4AAA weight float and with a decent tip so you can see the bites - if you are fishing for carp this might not be a problem but roach bites may be harder to spot with a thicker float tip - I would then use a quiver tip rod

predators21

Reaction score
Hi.

Normally it's due to the line not being full. You want to be able to feel a lip from ye line to the spool. If it not and you don't fancy putting more on then take the line off and put a few elastic bands on the spool first.

Is your line coiled? This will cause friction and slow the line coming off the spool and then slow it down passing through the eyes on the rod. Tie the line to a tree and walk out a good distance. Tighten up the clutch and stretch it. This should help with the coil. Then put the rod down and cut the line by the ree and wa lol back and reel the line back in with a damp cloth.

The set up between line bs and weight of float and shotting pattern is another issue. Maybe try using a heavier float?

Hope this helps.

H

thecrow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One thing I noticed when fishing on larger ponds was that I couldnt cast very far.

I'm float fishing, using a waggler float so there isn't too much weight on my line. Now and then I wanted to cast out a bit further out.

Is it a better rod I need (I only have a cheap 10ft one) or a better reel? Again, i'm only using a cheap reel (https://www.fishingrepublic.net/sha...1262646.html?gclid=CLr1692PptECFQ08GwodFKwDvQ)

If anyone cal help that would be great, my mate has a better 12ft rod for me, but if I need a better reel i will look into upgrading soon, but my budget is only about £30-40 for now.

Nothing wrong with your reel, your rod is rather short for casting a waggler and you would do better with a longer one.

You say your spool is full to the brim but not what strain line you are using, heavy line can drastically cut down on the distance a float can be cast.

Have you a friendly tackle shop that could put you on the right track?

Keith M

Reaction score
There's a few things that you can do to increase your range while still retaining the sensitivity that you often need to register delicate bites on the waggler:

Try using a 'semi loaded' and relatively sensitive float such as an Onion waggler which will fly through the air much straighter and truer and without the characteristic waggle that gives the waggler its name because of its 'semi' loaded base (see pic below); and choose a size which will give you the distance that you require:

Try shotting it so that it has its centre of gravity at its base see pic below):

Use a 12ft or 13ft waggler rod with a tippish action and standoff rings which can cast a light float really well, and also use as fine a line as you can get away with (being sensible of course).

Note: The standoff rings on your waggler rod will help to keep your line from sticking to your rod blank when the line is damp or you are casting in damp conditions.

Use a reel with a shallow spool which will take only around 100 mtrs. of line and which balances well with your float rod.

Note: deeper spools have the habit of having slightly uneven line lay and therefore the chance of having a deeper lip on the spool than is necessary, plus there is more chance of the line getting bedded in and reducing the ease that it comes off the spool; when casting a light waggler, both reasons why a shallow match spool is a lot better when casting relatively small floats

That's what I use when I need to cast wagglers any appreciable distance.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Rod, reel, line (diameter and spool fill level), weight and technique all interact to determine casting distances.

The cheapest ways to increase your range is to practice. The next is to optimise the weight of your float to match the rod and line being used. After that, you can reduce the breaking strain of your mainline and ensure that the spool is properly filled. All of that can be done before you consider buying new rods or reels.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could use a bait boat to get your rig out, or try legering lol.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I normally just increase the weight of the float when I want to cast further. If I want to cast more than half way across I tend to move to the other side of the lake. If I'm float dishing for carp on bigger waters I use 12gram loaded wagglers, them bad boys fly miles

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

sheffields12

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll look at getting some new floats including onion waggler :)

I think I'll also nip into a local tackle shop and have a chat with them!