Catapults?

peterjg

Reaction score
For such an ordinary, basic bit of kit and even after all these years I still haven't found a decent catapult for general use - mainly for pellets. There doesn't seem to be a good way of securing the elastic at either the frame or pouch ends? I end up taking several on trips. Your recommendations please, thanks.

The bad one

Reaction score
How far are you looking to get the bait out? I have two, a small flicker for maggots and pellets for when I'm float fishing. And a whopper dropper (metal frame for balling it in. The WD is a Drennan with a canvas homemade pouch, as the pouches Drennan make are to brutal on your knuckles. One thing you do need for WDs is plenty of spear elastic with you. I always have two spear sets at all times.
The flicker is also a Drennan and is pretty tangle free. Both do the job asked of them with little problems.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If a soft pouch and old trick is to sew a button in the base to make it firmer and for better grouping .
Small zip ties are ideal for securing elastic at pouch end . As for frame end I use cattys where the elastic goes into the frame at the top and onto a lug inside the frame . Not had any trouble with the elastic parting company there.
I will try and post pics later of the ones I use .

peterjg

Reaction score
Re above posts: I will try to find a "flicker"; and what a good idea to use a button (new idea to me) I'll raid the wife's button box first before I look further! Thanks for your replies - I have more bother with catapults than any other bit of fishing tackle.

peterjg

Reaction score
Those catapults that have the elastic coming out of a hole in the top of the frame do work well and are less prone to tangle but because the elastic is pulled back at right angles the elastic there wears very fast? Also I wish I could find a moulded pouch for pellets which had holes to attach the elastics instead of the straight bit which push into the elastic and then come off when in use.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Those catapults that have the elastic coming out of a hole in the top of the frame do work well and are less prone to tangle but because the elastic is pulled back at right angles the elastic there wears very fast? Also I wish I could find a moulded pouch for pellets which had holes to attach the elastics instead of the straight bit which push into the elastic and then come off when in use.
I think Drennan do spare kits ,such as a couple of pieces of elastic and a pouch for various models .

rob48

Reaction score
Your knuckles will know about it with the plastic pouch....... oooooooooooooooh!
It 's a really soft plastic that is just about strong enough to hold shape during firing, so it groups the feed just where you want it, but collapses when it contacts anything.

rob48

Reaction score
The inner frame of the Stonfo catty appears to be PTFE, like in pole bushes. I've had mine for well over a year and it's the first choice unless I need something to reach further. There no discernible wear on the elastic at all, although they do provide a spare for whenever it gives up.

rayner

Reaction score
I use GURU catapults I like the way the elastics can be lengthened or shortened to what is needed on the day. I carry several in case of elastic breakages, repairing them is impossible for me on the bank.

peterjg

Reaction score
Rayner, thanks for your reply. I have a Guru catapult but find the elastics badly wear at the top where the elastic comes out. Apparently (as Rob48 said, thanks) Stonfo and Preston have ptfe inserts to help stop this problem - I will try one out - in the meantime I've altered (again) a couple of my other catapults to try out.

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, they are susceptible to wear, I can cope with that. Like I said I like how the elastic can be lengthened if need be.
I also have the Preston with a plastic pouch that is perfect for tight grouping. I prefer plastic pouches on my catapults.
PS, I have no issues with cracking my knuckles.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have used the Drennan catapults for years without any problems at all with my knuckles being hit.

Yes every now and then I had to replace the elastic and/or pouches but not very often.
I have always had a couple of different sizes, and still do; and I find them great catapults.

Keith

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Rayner, thanks for your reply. I have a Guru catapult but find the elastics badly wear at the top where the elastic comes out. Apparently (as Rob48 said, thanks) Stonfo and Preston have ptfe inserts to help stop this problem - I will try one out - in the meantime I've altered (again) a couple of my other catapults to try out.
I'm with you. I've just moved over to a Guru and have found the same. Bitterly disappointed in it given the company's reputation for quality. I've been following this thread with interest in the hope of finding a replacement to it

rayner

Reaction score
The wear of elastics is a varying thing. Use produces wear.
When waggler fishing my catapult is every cast at least once constantly throughout the session. If pole fishing, I use my catapult far less.

mikench

Reaction score
Use and UV light ie sunshine causes the rubber in the elastic to break down as it does with car tyres. I will give the Stonfo type a try.