Cheap leads.

dicky123

Reaction score
Out of interest. I've just brought on EBay some leads.

These are gripper leads, but advertised as watch leads sold for sea fishing. They are ideal for river fishing were an ounce can be used.

I paid £3.60 for 10. I will only have to add a swivel, and sleeve it off and have some great leads for the Trent. I'll loose all of them over the season, but at that price don't mind at all.

I expect he does bigger weights, but as I fish the margins, these will be ideal. I can also put some scolded pellets around the lead for a bit of GROUNDBAIT.

Hope it helps?

ian g

Reaction score
Mike, just pellet that have had boiling water poured on them and then left a little while , with the watch leads you you can press them around the lead. This saves using a feeder and means you have pellets around your hook bait.

john step

Reaction score
Out of interest. I've just brought on EBay some leads.

These are gripper leads, but advertised as watch leads sold for sea fishing. They are ideal for river fishing were an ounce can be used.

I paid £3.60 for 10. I will only have to add a swivel, and sleeve it off and have some great leads for the Trent. I'll loose all of them over the season, but at that price don't mind at all.

I expect he does bigger weights, but as I fish the margins, these will be ideal. I can also put some scolded pellets around the lead for a bit of GROUNDBAIT.

Hope it helps?

I buy these too. For the trent unless it is in drought mode I cannot imagine using one ounce.
I start a 4ozs and work up:)

ian g

Reaction score
Mike,

I haven't used the method much myself as I don't really fish for barbel or carp . There are quite a few items on the web about the method. I used 6 & 8 mm pellets but it's something you can experiment with , see what works best for the fishing you do.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I will give them a try. I have used the guru bait bombs which I suspect achieve a similar effect only in lighter weights!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
micro pellet is what you need ! pour some in tub fill with water above pellets and stir normally soak for 1 minute per mm , or half fill a bait tub with pellets and fill to brim with water and give a little stir and tun tub upside down so water runs out and leave for 15 mins and then leave right way for 15 mins and should be just right . Or my method fill with water and keep squeezing pellets in untill the stickyness you need leave to long so over wet and will turn to paste

its that easy:wh

oh and method mixes are good makes stiffer groundbait , keep adding water and mixing and you can make into a paste with stirring

dicky123

Reaction score
JOHN.

I find an ounce fine unless I want to fish anywhere but the margins. As I mostly trott nowadays I'm fishing in close. So I use my ledger rod in the same place I've been feeding.
I've never used more than 3 ounces anyplace on the Trent, as I always feed a big bow rather than just tighten up.

I'm sure on the tidal you would need much more however.

Richard.

robtherake

Reaction score
I assume they become sticky but what size pellets are best?

It's one of Binka's favourite barbelling methods, Mike; I believe he adds the contents of a tin or three of tuna to the mix, too. Maybe he'll share his method with the rest of us when he sees this post.:) Scalded pellets are stickier, in my own experience, so larger scalded pellets seem to clag together better than the cold-soaked alternative.

The tuna works really well with a standard method mix, too; either for pellets or groundbait, with the liquid it comes in adding extra flavour.

john step

Reaction score
JOHN.

I find an ounce fine unless I want to fish anywhere but the margins. As I mostly trott nowadays I'm fishing in close. So I use my ledger rod in the same place I've been feeding.
I've never used more than 3 ounces anyplace on the Trent, as I always feed a big bow rather than just tighten up.

I'm sure on the tidal you would need much more however.

Richard.

Yes its a long river so higher reaches must be more tame.

B

binka

It's one of Binka's favourite barbelling methods, Mike; I believe he adds the contents of a tin or three of tuna to the mix, too. Maybe he'll share his method with the rest of us when he sees this post.:)

Your memory is far too good Rob! :D

You are of course right...

I tend to fish it with the heavy ESP 100grm method feeders and a longish tail of around 4' - 5', the only thing I change is the semi-fixed connector for a bead or knot protector sleeve over the swivel to the hooklink so that it's completely free running...

I prefer the method feeders as their flatter profile doesn't seem to shift as much, especially after the feeder has discharged and becomes lighter in the flow.

The really (non!) technical part comes in the preparation of the pellets... Just chuck every size of leftover pellet in a bucket, fill with water and leave for twenty minutes before draining and covering over the night before you are fishing and add whatever you want on the day :)

Provided you've drained off the water you should be left with a very workable mosh the following day, whether you've used 6mm or 20mm pellets.

I've found that I can't over compress it either, no matter how hard I try and I reckon the harder the better for reasonably fast flowing water.

My theory is that the wary porkers will hone in on it but sit back waiting for the small bits to flake off and run down the current until they begin to build in confidence and compete as they move up to the hooker pellet and...

Wallop!

Apologies for the distraction Richard, by chance I came across an Ebay seller here in my home town who knocks out bombs complete with large, low friction running swivels at just less than a quid apiece but they're nowhere as cheap as the ones you're buying.

nhs service

Reaction score
Those watch leads are a bargain. I will invest.
I sacrifice a feeder and use the weight to double up on another one.
I like the Drennan flat blockends and the Korum river feeders.
So 2oz becomes 4, etc. I found some araldite on my local market which is made by Blackspur, a cheaper make I think but holds them together incredibly well.
All the best.

dicky123

Reaction score
Steve.

Can we have a picture of the actual feeder, these are so many about. Does it have sides, or it's ones without,

No problem, like new ideas.

B

binka

This is the beast Richard...

I've got some lighter ones too at around 70grm.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have got the smaller version , what rod are you using to cast that beastie ? Don't you use a cage feeder then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

I have got the smaller version , what rod are you using to cast that beastie ? Don't you use a cage feeder then ?

I use Avons between 1 - 1.6 tc but almost without exception I'm swinging 'em out underarm.

I do use cage feeders sometimes but usually with groundbait and particles, I think the flatter method doesn't roll around especially when it becomes lighter after emptying.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
What about korums river feeder that's low profile , when weather warms up I'm going to have a stab at chasing barbel . Will need a few pointers I think !