Chubless Lune

alan strickland

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the river Lune in Lancashire hold`s no chub? when river`s to the south(Ribble/Wyre) and north(Eamont/Eden/) have them.
I know it`s mainly a game river but can it really be just down to stocking by man that the other river`s have chub but the Lune doesnt?
The question has come up a few times between myself and other Ribble anglers but ive never really got the bottom of it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Alays wonndered that one myself Alan Chub everywhere but not the Lune and its got the water to support them. Maybe we will have to run a campaign to get them stocked by the EA.

J

john ledger

alan
Can remember some big chub coming out of the Lune a few years ago but nothing since. Have the game fisherman had the removed. The Eden used to produce huge bags of chub and dace but even they seem to have dried up

davestocker

Reaction score
Please don't go there! In the mid eighties a few of us on the lower reaches of the river (the Lansil fishery) realised that every salmon that ran the Lune had to go through the lower river, and we developed techniques to catch numerous salmon from what was then considered to be predominantly a coarse fishery. Long-range trotting with a sliding float and shrimp bait gave us some fantastic catches on fishing that cost ?20 a year. I once caught a roach on a red shrimp, but I've no dounbt that if chub were ever introduced they would take baits like this that were intended for salmon. The joy of shrimping on the Lune was the knowledge that if that float bobbed, moved or disappeared it was virtually certain to be a salmon. So you concentrated hard and struck every bite. Were chub to be established, and found shrimp baits to their taste, this would no doubt lead to unwanted bites and catches, and p**s off the guys who now shrimp fish the lower reaches, many of whom enjoy coarse fishing too.

fred hall

Reaction score
I still have a vivid picture in my mind, from 40 years ago admittedly, of a flyfisherman on the Hodder, tributary of the Ribble, catching the biggest chub I had ever seen up till then and tossing it up the bank. Now I don't want to upset any present day game anglers on the Lune by tarring them with the same brush but I think you will get chub in the Lune in your dreams only Alan.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Lune or the practices of salmon anglers killing all the chub they caught.

What I do know is, up until recent years it was common practice on the river Wye for salmon anglers to kill every chub that they caught. If you were lucky enough to get permission to fish a 'salmon only' stretch it was on condition that you killed every course fish that you caught. Senseless barbarity by a group of anglers who knew absolutely nothing about fishing and nature.

Yet, for all their barbarity and wanton destruction, the coarse fish survived. It took the introduction of barbel to threaten the other species but they will come back, just like they did on the Severn, nature will see to that.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

And yet the bream are still there -- catching bream on there to double figures in the late 60s-early 70s on the Lansil stretch ....

alan strickland

Reaction score
Ive no wish to fish for chub on the Lune or have it stocked with them it was just ive wonderd for awhile now why they wernt there.
To be honest the area where you can course fish isnt what id call chub river anyway.
If i was wanting to upset a few salmon anglers id ask for both chub and barbel to be stocked at crook o lune,there`s some very nice looking chub/barbel swims on there..

Bluesbreaker

Reaction score
I caught quite a few chub at Caton using feeder most around the 6 oz mark 2018. Also some fairly big eels.

John Aston

Reaction score
As fly fisherman for forty years I have encountered the odd dinosaur but they are virtually extinct now. I had no time for those who denigrated coarse fish , but equally I grew very,very tired of lazy jibes at fly fishers by people who should know better. I have to say that John Bailey was a repeat offender with his class warrior schtick and his tiresome sniping about the elitism of tweedy , posh fly fishermen. Look hard enough and you can find someone to offend you , whether it is a guy who only fishes dry fly or a someone who sneers at bream and tench because they are not carp.

In my world it is all just fishing.