Classic Angling Magazine, soon to celebrate 150th edition!

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
I always look forward to receiving my bi-monthly copy of Classic Angling soon to reach its 150th edition. Many congratulations to editor and publisher Keith Elliott for this very considerable achievement.

Just how Keith manages to put together such a cornucopia of fascinating material to fill over 50 pages each edition is beyond me. What I do know is that this is the one magazine where I can honestly say I read every word. This is both for my own enjoyment of the articles, to increase my knowledge and also to keep in touch with the vagaries and trends in the market-place.

In the March edition there is the headline “Brace of Carved Salmon sell for a record £25,000 “plus the not inconsiderable buyer’s premium and vat on that. So £30,000 plus.

2Carvings-533x400.jpeg

Even when considering the fish came from the highly respected Fochaber’s studio on the banks of the River Spey this might appear a hefty price; but is it? Both fish were caught in 1928 from the River Nore in Ireland and weighed 45lbs and 39lbs respectively. Huge and rare fish indeed but even more importantly from a valuation perspective the fish were carved by John Tully and his wife Dhuie painted the fish. The patina that Dhuie manages to portray on her Fochaber’s fish is a delight to behold and makes these fish much sought after by collectors.

Although a hefty price now, this, like most rare high quality items, may well prove to be a good investment over time.

Several of these magnificent carvings have passed through our hands here at TT and we are always looking for more as we have buyers waiting (including me).

The other article that caught my eye was “The Sun sets over my dream life on the Test” by our good friend Neil Freeman of Angling Auctions. This refers to the end of Neil’s 15 year tenure as the guardian of the Broadlands Fishery on the river Test at Romsey. This really is the end of an era for those of us who have enjoyed days at the fishery whether it be for brown trout, grayling, the specimen roach, and pike or even one of the declining stock of salmon that inhabit the water. Neil’s lease has come to an end and with that also goes the wonderful cottage by the water. What an experience though to have lived in that cottage and have control over such a long stretch of such an iconic river.

I was lucky enough to be there on the day Paul Whitehouse and Bob Mortimer met there when their successful Gone Fishing programme idea was born. That day guided by Jon Hall, Paul managed a 20lb + pike on the fly! Bob just fell over.

corporate-fishing-days-river-test-599x400.jpg

Another day forever in my memory was when I was fortunate enough to be invited by Neil to join his ‘Luvvies day’ although I am not sure how I qualified. Geoffrey Palmer RIP. Now that was a fun day as you would imagine.

We wish Neil the best of success as his life weaves its ongoing path and I personally will now look forward to when his bass boat is back in the water and we can go chasing some of the monster bass that lurk around The Needles.

If you haven’t seen or read Classic Angling before, then head over to the website https://classicangling.co.uk/ and take a look!

The post Classic Angling Magazine, soon to celebrate 150th edition! appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...