Closed Season on Canals (Essex)

Wakou

Reaction score
I was SURE that my local canal, the Chelmer and Blackwater, was closed from March 15th to June 15th, like some others, as it is a canalised river system. But I was on the gov.uk website today and there is NO MENTION of it being closed. I tried the "Anglia" Region, and the "Thames and Southern". Does this mean I can fish there?
This is from the "Anglia" page:

Canals with a coarse fish close season​

Some rivers in Anglia have been converted into canals (canalised). They are Fossdyke Canal, Louth Canal, Horncastle Canal and the Dilham and North Walsham Canal. The national coarse fish close season applies to these.

There is no coarse fish close season on other canals in Anglia.
And this from the "Thames and South East":

Canals and stillwaters with a close season​

The canals in the Thames and Southern byelaw areas that have a close season for coarse and eel fishing (15 March to 15 June) are:

• the Kennet and Avon Canal, downstream of its confluence with the River Kennet at Kintbury
  • the Lee Navigation, upstream of Aqueduct Lock
  • 2 designated stretches of the Basingstoke Canal, from SU719514 to SU967575, and from TQ016597 to TQ046616
  • the Wey Navigation

The Regents Park Canal, Grand Union Canal, Lee Navigation (downstream of Aquaduct Lock) and the Oxford Canal have no statutory close season.
Whom do I contact to have this omission corrected?

Wakou

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. But the "Official" guidance is from the gov.uk site, ie the Environment agency themselves. Is this closed season imposed by the clubs?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
One near me is closed due to being in a SSSI are those listed on the site

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Why not ring or email the controlling club/s and ask the question,or failing that nearby tackle shops..