Closed season.....

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The bankside flora and fauna argument is a load of rubbish ......... just because we dont fish doesnt mean all other pursuits stop too ----there are still walkers, joggers, hikers, bikers, boaters and many other people following their leisure activities . It was the same during The F and M outbreak --We stopped fishing ,but everyone else carried on as if nothing was happening ..........

T

Tony wainwright

Even if you disregard the flora and fauna argument,my point about the EA being under funded is still valid. 10,500 staff does not necessarily mean that they have enough staff to cope. The EA has to deal with the following as a part of their remit:
Environmental pollution, this doesnt just mean water pollution but discharge consents to all industry for their water, discharge to air, discharges to water. All of these require applications from industry which must be processed, premises visited and inspected on a regular basis, licences issued, samples taken and monitored etc. Then there is waste which I have mentioned before which has the same pressures as discharge to air. Who controls all the waste sites eg landfill? The EA do!
10,500 staff could not cover all the banks of all waters in the uk even if they only had a mile each to cover!! the other work they do would still have to be carried out.
The problem lies as I said with the under funding by the government. Should you fish without a licence your chances of being asked by an official of the EA to produce a licence are absolutely minimal. European legislation and government(Any party)priorities ensure that the majority of the EA budget is not targetted towards anglers; we are way down the list. To state that the EA dont care is patently unfair and inaccurate. Give them more money directed to the right places and maybe we would see some enforcement of the law that is in place.

P

Paul Williams

Tony,
you are obviously passionate about this but i will remain suspisios......due mainly to the wastage i KNOW occurs in other goverment bodies.....the people who use the waste landfill sites pay for that side of the equation.......we are talking fishing and the EA have uniformed wardens out and about in EA vehicles checking licences, mine was checked a couple of weeks ago so there is no reason why a visit could not be made to the "hotspots" of close season abuse.......i don't want them (anglers) prosacuted, just educated.
sorry about the spelling mate....i'm tired!

P

Paul Christie

I think that you've hit the nail on the head with the 'hotspot' issue. There are areas where this abuse is rife. It's more a case of risk assessing this and diverting their attention from licence checking for a spell to deal with the problem.
I've seen this abuse recently on a camp site in Richmond - Holiday makers claiming it was private land, so it was OK, or that they were using worms for trout (whilst carrying a bag of casters). It's annoying to say the least.

T

Trent Jim

exactly...
if they were bothered there would be a hotline administering a staff of a few of hundred uniformed inspectors who could react to REPORTS of people fishing illegally. The fact is that the E.A are employing far to many people at the policy level developing ridiculous initiatives like the banning of deadbait/livebait fishing in the lake district. They need to get their priorities right and inforce the regs that exist before they start spending considerable time and resources devising new ones. When government agencies start devising new and contraversial regulations it is generally a sign that there are too many people working away from the coal face with nothing better to do than make up new rules...
nuf said
Jim

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Trent Jim.....
Dont mention coal faces....... look what the government did to those ....there are none now!!!

T

Trent Jim

and i wouldnt be at all surprised if the branch of the E.A concerned with coal mining didnt get much smaller with the demise of the industry!!
Jim

T

Tony wainwright

Great debate fellas, obviously we are all passionate about our sport. Its a pity we dont have any MP's who go fishing (at least ones who will admit to it!!)Maybe they could start to represent our views? What a stupid idea!! When have the views of anglers ever been considered properly?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Tony, we do have an MP (Martin Salter) who is passionate about angling and is prepared to stand up for the sport. Click on this link:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1844>Angling Summit</A>.

G

Geoff Cowen

If we are to retain the closed season ( I personal think we should give it up ) then a ban on bait fishing and spinning should be enforced. This would do away with people using the catching of ells and trout as an excuse for fishing for coarse fish. A fly only policy during the closed season would be easy to enforce.

A

Andrew Thomas

Doesn't matter what the policy is, it won't get enforced without bodies on the bank.

Personally, I think the coarse close season is an unenforcable sham and should be abandoned.

Chub on the fly anyone ?