cockels for barbel .

D

Dave Langford

I was talking to an old fella whilst fishing for barbel and he said i should use cockels. Has anyone had any joy? DAVE

R

Ron Clay

Way way back in the 60s I was fishing for chub on the Swale in Yorks. I tried cockles after a recommendation by Frank Guttfield. Caught a 4 lb barbel would you beleive.

Cockles are an excellent bait for chub & tench. Don't see any reason why they would not work for barbel. Might try them myself on the Trent later this year

R

Rob Brownfield

Cockles (not in viniger) have caught me Barbel, Chub, Tench, Carp and big eels.

Also try prawn, peeled for barbel and Carp, unpeeled for Chub...they like the crunch!

D

Davy North

Tried mussel for chub on the Tees last winter. I got laughed at in the tackle shop when I mentioned it, I don't know why when you consider mussel & shrimp flavoured meat and boilies.

As it happened I didn't get a bite on them, but to be fair the water was so cold I didn't get a bite on anything else either.

I promised to try them again towards the end of the season, but F&M put pay to that idea.

I will give them and cockles a go this season on the Tees and Swale, I'm sure they'll work.

Another thought that's been tempting me for a while is peeler crab?

R

Rob Brownfield

Davy, I presume u were using uncooked musscles? Try the New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel (Tesco sell them alive)...they have caught me chub. Also, freshwater mussels are a renowned Tench bait.

As for Peeler Crab...mmm..interesting. The cost alone would put me off, unless u can get them locally. I am sure a Chub would have a go at one.

S

Stewart Bloor

Certainly a little bit of innovation is worth a thought as far as bait is concerned...I asked Brummie if he's got any mussels he showed me his six pack...well, to be truthful, it was more like a barrell...
Concerning freshwater mussels, I think I am correct in saying that it is now illegal to use them as bait, due to decrease of numbers.

D

Davy North

Fortunately I live close enough to the sea to collect my own peeler, they are really the only bait worth using from the shore and estuaries this time of year, but as Rob says chub would have a go at them. Then they'll have a go at almost anything, in theory?

R

Rob Brownfield

Stewart...i keep forgetting that England has different rules....In Scotland, there is no protection on freshwater mussels or oysters...yep..oysters...u can pick them outta the Dee, and even Prince Charles has been pearl hunting there..lol
U would think he had enough money!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Just thought, liquidised peeler crab, mixed with some sort of binder...I bet the carp would hit that too!!