Commercial fisheries

David Preston

Reaction score
Loads of waters closed at the moment, so I visited a small commercial fishery at the weekend. And really enjoyed myself.

I think there's a place for this kind of fishery, what do you think?

S

STUART JOHNSON

I agree there is a place in our sport for commercial fisheries. imo it helps to introduce children to the sport in a safe envirinment. OK most are easy waters, but it helps in teaching how to handle and hook fish safely and the basic skills, such as plumbing, striking and playing a fish. For me some of these waters hold specimen fish such as Perch which I can fish for. Also if I just want to have fun and catch these waters are ideal. In short commercial fisheries are needed and are a excellent idea.

K

Kevin Nicholson

hi Dave and Stuart I agree there is a place for them. I have a friend teaching me angling after not coarse fishing for many years. I've learn the correct way (hopefully) to handle fish, unhook, play them and put them back, causing minimal harm. With so many anti angling people about surely thats better than being let loose on a river and catching "Wild Fish" perhaps harming them by ignorance. Good Luck

David Preston

Reaction score
This isn't going to plan! People are agreeing! There must be someone who doesn't like commercials?!?

P

peter webber

Sorry David but I too like commercial fisheries. Due to the floods etc I have been fishing them alot and when i've been fishing hard waters for some time it's nice to go to a fishery like that if only to get a bend in your rod.

It's also very good for getting new people in to fishing as Kevin has said and I hope you ( Kevin ) go on and start fishing other waters and learn more. Keep at it and I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I think we all do.

Commercials have a place in fishing and are here to stay. To me they are a place you can go with kids ( and if you have to with the wife for a picknick) and are a lot safer then the river in as much that if you do fall in ( sedge take note ) you don't have to worry about being washed down stream by the current, and so makes it easier to get out.

Commercials are a good learning curve for new people to fishing and a great way to meet new friends ( don't seam to see so many people on the banks of the river these's days.

Pete.

David Preston

Reaction score
There's always loads of people on the Ribble where I go - it would make a change to see a deserted (open) river.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I like the commercials too when I want the kind of fishing they offer. And like Peter said they're great for kids and novice anglers of any age. I'm looking forward to taking my 5 year old grandson to one or two of them when the weather gets a bit warmer for him.

The people that knock the commercials are those anglers who don't want the type of fishing they offer. What they forget is that there are thousands who do, and that their kind of fishing is quieter as a consequence. For that reason we all have a reason to applaud them.

J

john conway

I’ve only ever fished one commercial fishery, which I must admit I did enjoy, although it was winter and fifty percent of the time I had a very beautiful small lake to myself. Now because of the F&M I’m looking to take a couple of days off next week and visit another commercial fishery. Like most of you I think they play a part, however, the down side for me would be the crowed ones and those that have a very bleak landscape.

D

Dave Johnson

I have been guilty of 'knocking' these in the past, but more from a species stocked point of view and we dont want to open that one up again.....
I spend a good deal of time trout fishing on reservoirs and pools and realistically, these are merely commercial waters , so I suppose it would be hypocritical to condemn them.
I am actually looking forward to this weekend on a fishery, especially waggler fishing for chub-I may even try a pole in readiness for the KC memorial match the week after-so beware of a rank outsider at the draw boys!!!!

S

Simon Thompson

Dave
Alright - I'll put you out of your misery - I bloody hate them - I don't fish them
anymore but the few I've fished have been full of miserable looking carp
with split fins, torn lips and sores and wounds on them.
And I always end up between the noddy with a sea rod who comes over
to inspect every fish you catch, only to comment "little 'un then" even though
he's caught bugger all and the guy with the 27 metre pole who fishes there
every week and spends the whole day bagging up - saying "not brought
strawberry pellets? - wouldn't even bother coming 'ere without strawberry
pellets".
I'd rather blank at Estwaite at ?35 a chuck (I think!!!!)
But I do agree with Graham's last point
If anyone mentions strawberry pellets at the Memorial match - I won't be
held accountable for my actions!!!!!!
Thomo

David Preston

Reaction score
I'd better leave mine at home if I'm after scrounging a ride down there with you then, Thomo!

(Although they are very good on the method feeder, but that won't help at Clattercote in a pole match...)

S

Stewart Bloor

Ok, don't want to spoil the party, but I'm not a fan of commercial waters. But having said that, I'm not a critic so wouldn't actually say anything negative about them, or those who choose to fish them. A case of live and let live...All I will say is, they're not for me.
But, and I think it's an important question. When is a water a commercial water, and when is it not a commercial water?
When I think of commercial water, and it's that type I have in mind when I say I'm not a fan, I think of the stereotypical 'muddy hole in the ground'. Filled with maximum (or more) fish, the numbers and weights of each species known. That is not my cup of tea (but again, I wouldn't criticise anyone that wants to fish them) it just doesn't do anything for me.
But what about the waters that have matured over the years, and contain 'unknown quantities'. They're still run as 'commercial' waters.
They may be 'commercial' but they're not 'commercial', if you get my drift..

M

Malcolm Bason

Each to their own, but I think there is a place for the commercial fishery.

They provide an excellent service to those who cannot or at least find it difficult to fish the rivers and canals.

One classic example is the disabled angler! Okay, some easy access can be found to some rivers and canals but these are few and far between!

Many commercial fisheries have pegs specifically designed for disabled anglers and I know of one that has over-sized flat pegs all round, and had a wide concrete path all round too and is designed and owned by a disabled angler.

Thommo, sorry to pick up on your answer but..... QUOTE: "And I always end up between the noddy with a sea rod who comes over
to inspect every fish you catch, only to comment "little 'un then" even though
he's caught bugger all and the guy with the 27 metre pole who fishes there
every week and spends the whole day bagging up"

Doesn't this ever happen on a river or canal then? :)

D

Dave Johnson

Simon, there is a little net pool by the lodge at Esthewaite where you can bag up-bet you know which one?-you fish with a bubble float, 57lb line and a worm......
Sedge, why dont you join Limestone and me Saturday for a pre-pole outing
I am going all out for chub on the float tight to the far bank-hopefully.....

D

David Will

Scenario for you .
Joe Bloggs wants to go fishing. His tackle dealer tells him to either go to the local commercial affair or join the local club.He goes to commercial water as not ready to make a twelve month committment or it is May and club water is shut.He goes to commercial water and catches on boat rod etc that Tackle dealer sold him.He never joins club who have already lost lots of members because of commercial water.They decide it is time to act and fill a lovely water with loads of orrible little carp.
Result another water ruined.
To quote Harry Enfield ' is that what you want? cos that's what'll appen'

M

Malcolm Bason

But David - Some Joe Bloggs may want to fish for 'orrible little carp' - the water ain't necessarilt ruined!

Anyway, aren't some local club waters run like commercial fisheries these days? :)

R

Ron Clay

I'm all for commercial fisheries of the right kind. I just wish they would stop stuffing these waters with toy carp and give us some intetesting species to catch, like a rudd pool, or a perch pool or a bream lake.