CONJURING COARSE MAGIC – BARBEL PART 2

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
So, after blog 2, we have the outline of how I go about things. It’s all about travelling light, fishing light and fishing where the fish are. In essence I take a rod, generally now a Thomas Turner Classic+ Avon, a reel loaded with 10lb line, pouch full of replacement hooks, SSG shot, scissors and forceps. A bucket of bait and a landing net just about complete the kit….no rests, no baskets or boxes, no bait trays, hardly anything at all. Almost always, in decent water levels, I’ll be wearing waders, a jacket with reserve bits and bobs in the pockets, Polaroids and a hat, often as not. Much of the time I’ll be fishing on the bottom so that’s what I’ll concentrate on here.

SSGs-in-winter-4-533x400.jpg

Bait will be Nash Squid 15ml boilies , as I have already said, but I’m happy with Robin Red, Source and anything Krill. I’ll often add halibut pellets to add to the bulk but keep down the cost.

THE TERMINAL RIG

Simple as you like. The main line I attach to a Korda DF Carp Rig size 10, which is wide gape and tied to a 15lb braid link about six inches long. On the hair, I obviously thread a boilie 90% of the time. For weight, I string SSG shot up the line from the hook. In very low water, a single SSG is often enough but in high levels I might have to use five or even six SSGs. I’ll place the shot about 10-12 inches apart. This keeps the line pinned down on the river bed but also when the rig hits the surface, the sound is very much like a clutch of boilies landing. This way, that splash factor neurosis of mine can be turned to my advantage and chub, and barbel even, are often caught on the drop. In really strong conditions I’ll use double SSGs but I’ll hardly ever go for convention leads. If half a dozen SSGs can’t hold bottom in a swim, I’ll look for a different, slower piece of water. Some barbel might well hold out in fast, deep water midriver but equally many will drift in to the slacker areas where I still find them aplenty.

A-hooked-barbel..the-SSGs-clearly-visible-533x400.jpg
A hooked barbel..the SSGs clearly visible

A hooked barbel..the SSGs clearly visible

TOUCH LEDGERING

I do use tip rods but 90% of the time I prefer to touch ledger like I did through the Nineties. For a while I neglected the method but I am back to it big time now. You hold the rod and feel for bites and that is exciting. It is also informative, even if you do not get hittable bites you might feel cautious pick ups that do not develop. You might also feel line bites which translate as a kind of rasping or buzzing on the line between your finger tips. Both these indications tell me there are barbel about and I just have to persevere or tweak things to get a fish. Holding the rod allows me to wade as far out as I need. Having no rod rest cuts down on baggage and assists frequent moves. It’s a win win!

Ian touch ledgering with aplomb

Ian touch ledgering with aplomb

TOUCH LEDGERING-THE MECHANICS

You want a rod around 11ft long that is light, powerful and sensitive. I’m obviously going to recommend the Thomas Turner Classic+ Avon because now I wouldn’t use anything else. Point your rod tip directly towards where you think your bait is lying. You will have to consider the depth of the swim, the current force and the number of SSGs to make these calculations. Try to eliminate as much slack line as possible between your fingertips and your terminal tackle. This means closing the bail arm as soon as the rig hits the river surface and also mending the line busily till the bait hits bottom. It will probably bounce and roll a distance before coming to rest. Wading helps because you can get closer to the action. Touch ledgering does not have to be a close in job but it becomes more tight and intimate as distances decrease.

It’s all about mobility

It’s all about mobility

Find a relaxed position whether you are wading or standing (or sitting) on the bank. I like to hold the line between the reel and the butt ring between my thumb and forefinger . There are no set rules but experiment to find what suits you best. You should feel so intimately in touch that one slight pull from your fingers dislodges the bait and sets it trundling downstream. You should feel a fish mouthing a bait, even breathing on it! You’ll soon get to feel the difference between a fish investigating a bait and a proper bite, something that is 100% impossible to ignore. It’s a life force that triggers your instincts, even if it is comparatively gentle and not the savage pull most barbel anglers expect. As you gain experience, you’ll be able to differentiate between fish and weed or leaves and even between fish species themselves. You’ll build up a better idea of swim contours and snags and every session will be a voyage of excitement and discovery.

FREELINING AND BOUNCING BAITS

The touch ledgering/wading approach is ideally suited to fishing moving baits for both barbel and chub. You simply remove some or all of the SSGs and you can get that bait on the move. Personally, I favour moving baits for chub but not so much for barbel, for which I prefer a bait to be static. but that’s just me! Double worm with a single SSG a foot above works well from June to August in quicker water. Drifting a large lump of flake downstream nails one chub after another.

Simon-R-with-the-fish-533x400.jpg

Simon R with the fish

VERSATILITY

Wye-winter-wonderland-5-533x400.jpg

You might think this approach is a summer/autumn jaunt alone but it is not. Through the winter of 2021/22 I fished most nights with the SSG rig and by sitting in the dark touch ledgering, no need for lights, isotopes or the rest. You can even doze if the mood takes you. High water was no obstacle to success. I simply chose swims with deep, relatively slack water close in and the barbel continued to come, providing temperatures were relatively kind. Once again, the light approach allowed me to move in the wintry darkness and when it came to packing up, I was up and off home in seconds.

SSGs-in-winter-533x400.jpg

SSGs in winter

Believe me…this is fun, thrilling and immediate. You are in tune with the river. Your gear is top quality but simple. Your time is not wasted on tackle and bait considerations. This is direct, visceral stuff and becomes addictive!

The post CONJURING COARSE MAGIC – BARBEL PART 2 appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...