Daiwa Hydro elastic

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Go Outdoors has various sizes in Daiwa Hydro for sale from £5 to £12.
Easiest way to find if in stock near you is go on website and find product, put postcode of nearest store in and will show if in stock or click and collect in few days. A discount card is required if you dont have one, cost £5

rayner

Reaction score
Hydro was my go-to elastic in many different grades, I then changed to Slip now I use Zipp from Nufish, it's a hybrid as you know Mark.
I wonder if other anglers have found elastic they prefer leaving Hydro on shelves.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have heard varying reports about Nufish, some say its brilliant, others say it seems to go stiff rather quickly by that I mean as if stretched tight without using it,
Most of my elastics are Preston Hollo, and Slip, I have a few other hollow elastics in kits but cant remember the brand, I have 17 kits for one pole, and some are due for relastication, they will be solids that are going in either Preston or Middy.
I did try Drennan bungee in one margin pole, after half a dozen sessions I took it out and fitted 14/16 and 16 Preston slip in them, I kept 6/8 bungee in one kit for open water fishing.

rayner

Reaction score
I think I've mentioned before I don't exceed 10/12 I mostly use 8/10 if I fish for silvers 4/6. I prefer to fish lighter hooklengths for all fish, even bigger fish don't merit me fishing more than .013 occasionally .014. What's the worst that can happen?
I used to use to go to .018 but had too many hook pulls mostly because I use smaller hooks than some I have zero confidence using big hooks I know others think I'm wrong, it's just how I was taught before the carp explosion beside it's the way I enjoy my fishing. I tried size 10s with bomb and soft 8mm pellet with no increase to catches soon returning to size 18s.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The club water I go to has a maximum size 10 hook size, the largest I use on there is a 14, both on feeder and pole, on the waggler it can be either 18 or 20 ,unless fishing pellet or bagging waggler,
The heavier elastics on this water are depending on peg , 18 MAP blue solid through a short number one sections, maximum length 24". The others are 14/16 and 16 through power top two with side puller. The reason being some of the pegs have lilies and overhanging branches plus the margin carp run to around 20lb on occasion.but average between 8lbs and 10lb in hook n hold situations, no use trying to walk them out of peg, these know every snag going along the edges.
My go to elastics on commercials vary from 6 solid and double 6 solid upto 17h hollo ,venue dependant, I have a set of topkits for various venues,

rayner

Reaction score
Fisheries I use are generally snag-free, one fishery has removed most of the bigger fish to the specimen pond a pond that I mostly ignore. Crissh used to like to fish that pond. If I was getting snagged up I would alter my tackle.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Fisheries I use are generally snag-free, one fishery has removed most of the bigger fish to the specimen pond a pond that I mostly ignore. Crissh used to like to fish that pond. If I was getting snagged up I would alter my tackle.
The 8lbs to 10lb are no problem, it's when one of the larger specimens turn up you have a chance of snagging up.
They have removed most of the low doubles and put them in specimen lake, a few still in though

rayner

Reaction score
No, Mark even though I use girlie elastics they don't snag me I pull too hard, perhaps the odd one snaps me off, I can live with that. The fish are mostly less than 8lbs even then if I catch one it's a mistake. I wish there was a venue close by with a silverfish only policy but that's just dreaming on my part. Carp equals money is the local ethos, in fact, it's countrywide it seems anglers are addicted to the ugly brutes.