Deadbait Q ?

naxian62

Reaction score
Just about to start a little deadbaiting campaign, and the question is.
How long do you generally leave your baits out ?
I'm gonna be on a large- ish water (approx 30 acres) with a moderate amount of fish to be had. As far as I can make out.

Secondly, just came across Pete Fosters drop off indicators, anyone using them ? They look rather tasty.
Cheers and tight lines.

john step

Reaction score
30 Acres is a fair old size. I would start by exploring with a mobile approach to find best areas to try with statics later.
If you want to explore with deadbaits as opposed to lures may I suggest small deadbaits used sink and draw lure fashion or alternatively a deadbait suspended and drifted longer distances on the wind.
By exploring in a more mobile fashion one can get a good idea of underwater features. The drop offs and drop offs from islands are a good start.

Philip

Reaction score
I would also be tempted to start with a mobile approach.

Its funny as it reminded me of what I am sure was basically the same question someone once asked Barrie Rickards in an Angling times year book. This is going back several decades but his reply was that he hated moving a bait in case he pulled it away from a monster Pike that was inches from taking it. He went on to add that he would recommend leaving it for at least 45mins but the biggest Pike he ever caught he left it out for 6 hours as he just got the feeling it was in the right spot.

Its probably a how long is a bit of string type question as everyone will have their own way.

keora

Reaction score
If you've got the time, it's worth spending the first couple of sessions lure fishing in different swims, to get an idea of depths and see if any spots have potential.

I'd cast out every 10 minutes or so, but I admit I rarely fish stillwaters. On rivers I move swims regularly, if I don't get takes within an hour or so I move. But I may return and re-fish some of these swims on the way back to the car.