Deep water float fishing

john step

Reaction score
To save the wrath of PC for hijacking the HDYGO thread I thought I would mention this in reference to Gordon Wethrough and the reference to deep water.

Last trip out I fished a deeper water. I noticed a Polaris float that I have been carrying about and cannot remember using ,ever.
I hitched it up as an experiment with bomb on the bottom and a hooklink above it long enough to sit on the bottom.
It was easier and smoother than I anticipated to use. I shall use it again as the bites were more positive than I thought on such beefy gear.
I think its too crude for roach but I shall try it for bream sometime.

rayner

Reaction score
The Polaris float is an option for anglers who struggle with a slider, a slider will outfish the Polaris every time. OK for idiot carp, silvers need a more refined style in my opinion. The Polaris is definitely simple to set up than a slider, the time it takes to get a slider set up right is well worth the time.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Gordon. I read your HDYGO, and while I wouldn't knock a Polaris for big, deep, windswept places like Irish loughs, I think a light version of a slider would be ideal for the swim you described. "Textbook" advice, imo, nearly always overstates the amount of lead/size of float needed. I was shown the kind of set-up below 20 odd years ago on a clear water pool in N Wales where, despite the depth, the roach would spook from a pole over their heads. It's been my first choice ever since in water of 9' - 14' and can be comfortably fished up to 4 rods out.

slider.jpg

The floats, home-made from foam bodies and peacock stems, take 2AAA, IBB ( or an olivette) and several no 8's. Two have thinner stem, two thicker and I choose according to weather, tow, catching on or off bottom etc. Any less weight, and the rig wont reliably slide (I've tried it) through the ring on the adapter. The adapters are tiny and made by Middy. I leave the adapter on the float - can't be missed out when setting up. I start with the bulk 2' or so from the hook, but move it up or down according to where and when bites are coming. I don't cast with the float resting on the bulk; instead, I put a no 8 or two about 8' above the hook. This means the float is only sliding, in, say, a 12' deep swim, 4', and you're fishing more quickly. I use a 14' rod for its good pick up and because if the swim is less than 14'deep, the stop knot does not have to pass through the rings when casting or bringing in fish. I usually use a stop knot - two, actually, as two will stay in place better and don't need to be pulled down so tightly as to crush the mainline. Anybody who finds stop knots fiddly to tie can use one of those rubber float stops, as this will remain, in a swim less deep than the rod, outside the tip ring. I leave the stop knots on the line for next time and keep the spool for slider fishing. For mainline, I've always used Maxima in 2.5 or 3lb, and find it perfect.

The set up is great for roach and is in no way less delicate than a fixed waggler. It's a bit odd to cast at first - you have to remember you're casting the bulk shot, on quite a long line, rather than the float. But it works a treat. The float lies flat for a sec while the bulk sinks, which takes it down to show 2 or 3" of stem, and the droppers take it the rest of the way, unless held up by a bite. When you get it working right, it's a joy to behold, and I often fish a 12' deep river marina for winter roach just for the pleasure of the method.

zzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzz1.jpg

Given your float-making expertise, knocking up something suitable would be a piece of cake.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Hi Gordon. I read your HDYGO, and while I wouldn't knock a Polaris for big, deep, windswept places like Irish loughs, I think a light version of a slider would be ideal for the swim you described. "Textbook" advice, imo, nearly always overstates the amount of lead/size of float needed. I was shown the kind of set-up below 20 odd years ago on a clear water pool in N Wales where, despite the depth, the roach would spook from a pole over their heads. It's been my first choice ever since in water of 9' - 14' and can be comfortably fished up to 4 rods out.

View attachment 21143

The floats, home-made from foam bodies and peacock stems, take 2AAA, IBB ( or an olivette) and several no 8's. Two have thinner stem, two thicker and I choose according to weather, tow, catching on or off bottom etc. Any less weight, and the rig wont reliably slide (I've tried it) through the ring on the adapter. The adapters are tiny and made by Middy. I leave the adapter on the float - can't be missed out when setting up. I start with the bulk 2' or so from the hook, but move it up or down according to where and when bites are coming. I don't cast with the float resting on the bulk; instead, I put a no 8 or two about 8' above the hook. This means the float is only sliding, in, say, a 12' deep swim, 4', and you're fishing more quickly. I use a 14' rod for its good pick up and because if the swim is less than 14'deep, the stop knot does not have to pass through the rings when casting or bringing in fish. I usually use a stop knot - two, actually, as two will stay in place better and don't need to be pulled down so tightly as to crush the mainline. Anybody who finds stop knots fiddly to tie can use one of those rubber float stops, as this will remain, in a swim less deep than the rod, outside the tip ring. I leave the stop knots on the line for next time and keep the spool for slider fishing. For mainline, I've always used Maxima in 2.5 or 3lb, and find it perfect.

The set up is great for roach and is in no way less delicate than a fixed waggler. It's a bit odd to cast at first - you have to remember you're casting the bulk shot, on quite a long line, rather than the float. But it works a treat. The float lies flat for a sec while the bulk sinks, which takes it down to show 2 or 3" of stem, and the droppers take it the rest of the way, unless held up by a bite. When you get it working right, it's a joy to behold, and I often fish a 12' deep river marina for winter roach just for the pleasure of the method.

View attachment 21145

View attachment 21147

Given your float-making expertise, knocking up something suitable would be a piece of cake.

I fish a slider in almost exactly the way Kev describes and I too find it far better than the Polaris. I would add that if you should need to alter the depth, stretching the main line slightly reduces its diameter and you can move the stop knot/knots easier and without the main line pig-tailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetthrough

Reaction score
Thanks Kev. That's more or less how I do it except I use a float stop above the bulk/olivette rather than a shot. It's the only way I've found of avoiding tangles (keeping the float further from the bulk than bulk to hook). I've tried other published methods, lead booms etc., but while I'm sure they worked for the proponent I suspect it's more down to conditions and bait used, sweet corn, bread and head winds being particularly problematic.

I'd be nervous about using a float stop rather than stop knots. OK for smaller fish you're likely to swing in but if something bigger takes hold you IMO likely to want to wind it past the tip ring?

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Where I can get away with it I'll use the slider over the Polaris but will use it if needed. I have a 20ft Bolo rod and much prefer using that at 17/18ft depth than the two other methods far better presentation and sensitivity. But I will accept fishing it take a bit of getting use too. Once learnt it a joy to use and fish with on stillwaters where you can put it in two rests big roach fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks Kev. That's more or less how I do it except I use a float stop above the bulk/olivette rather than a shot. It's the only way I've found of avoiding tangles (keeping the float further from the bulk than bulk to hook). I've tried other published methods, lead booms etc., but while I'm sure they worked for the proponent I suspect it's more down to conditions and bait used, sweet corn, bread and head winds being particularly problematic.

I'd be nervous about using a float stop rather than stop knots. OK for smaller fish you're likely to swing in but if something bigger takes hold you IMO likely to want to wind it past the tip ring?

That's true, and more likely as the depth approaches the length of your rod, less so if fishing 10' with a 14'rod. I don't use them myself - although I do use them for several other purposes. I just mentioned it because some people I've come across never try the method because they aren't sure how to tie stopknots.