Different aproach ...

Matt86

Reaction score
since got back into fishing I've had the idea do more after work but by the time get ti the lake its 6.30 and by time got kit set up and fishing its 7 then only a 2 hours nd need to pack away again .

I get a stretch of the Thames near Lechlade on my club ticket and I thought I would get into roving for chub . A few hours in the evenings and travel light .

As I have hardly river fished and not caught much , only roach from whirlpools on breadflake ledgered. I could do with a few tips please .

I have a korum 10ft all-round quiver rod to use .

ian g

Reaction score
I've not fished the Thames but on the Severn chub find it hard to resist bread . I would try a large piece of flake pinched on a size 8 hook with a few swan shot on the line , just enough to hold bottom . Up here they love the bread slowly sinking . You can always feed a few spots and move around or stay in one place and draw them to you.

Matt86

Reaction score
Cheers Ian, funny it's what I was going to go , regarding hiding places would be near snags and the edge of the crease or a undercut bank and slack water ? Anything else ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I do 90% of my fishing in the evenings but I usually set my rod up at home so I only need to unfold it when I get there; therefore drastically reducing time spent setting up on the bankside; so Im ready to cast as soon as I get there.

I travel light using my ready made up rod folded in a rod sleeve which is attached to my rod quiver; that way I dont disturb any fish while setting up and can cast within seconds of reaching a swim.

That’s how I do it anyway.

I find the evenings far more productive than during the heat of the day.

Keith

ian g

Reaction score
Cheers Ian, funny it's what I was going to go , regarding hiding places would be near snags and the edge of the crease or a undercut bank and slack water ? Anything else ?
I'd say they are all likely spots , if it's possible feed mash bread in a few spots and fish them in turn . Some of the best advise I was given when I started fishing the Severn was to stick to one stretch and get to know it . Chub are crafty but also greedy so if you fish carefully they will give themselves away . As Keith says evening can be a great time .

Matt86

Reaction score
I'd say they are all likely spots , if it's possible feed mash bread in a few spots and fish them in turn . Some of the best advise I was given when I started fishing the Severn was to stick to one stretch and get to know it . Chub are crafty but also greedy so if you fish carefully they will give themselves away . As Keith says evening can be a great time .
I will keep at the stretch once I start , I walked it last year and from what I remember the trees and snags was on the other bank and the fish able bank empty . Do get boat use and one reason why going to try evenings .

Matt86

Reaction score
I do 90% of my fishing in the evenings but I usually set my rod up at home so I only need to unfold it when I get there; therefore drastically reducing time spent setting up on the bankside; so Im ready to cast as soon as I get there.

I travel light using my ready made up rod folded in a rod sleeve which is attached to my rod quiver; that way I dont disturb any fish while setting up and can cast within seconds of reaching a swim.

That’s how I do it anyway.

I find the evenings far more productive than during the heat of the day.

Keith
Keith I've sussed out the kit to take is very minimal !

Bought a smaller real a 5000 sized felt a tad big on a 10 ft quiver tip rod .

ian g

Reaction score
Hi Matt, sounds like a plan , I suspect you might fancy a longer rod if you get into river fishing , then you'll be on the slippery slope , like the rest of us.

Philip

Reaction score
Limited time to fish...I know all about that & sympathize ! …the bright side being short sessions do keep you on your toes so your focused & fishing well and also it keeps you keen. I suspect I would get very bored if I could fish all the time (not that I would turn down the chance to test that theory 😊)

As for your fishing your choice of roving for Chub is a good one when you have limited time I recon. Obviously I am making assumptions here but I would concentrate mainly on the near bank. Don’t fish out too far and try and bounce baits down the margins with a light lead or a swan shot or two. Its amazing how far you can get baits under things like overhanging trees by casting out and letting the bait bounce down & round until it settles closer in. Even if the near bank looks fairly barren there are always features you can fish to. Small slacks or eddies and so on.

If there are not many anglers about feed a few spots first with mashed bread and then start fishing at your most upstream spot first and work your way downstream You should be able to cover half a dozen swims in a couple of hours. Even if you blank its not too boring as you are constantly on the move and each new swim brings a fresh sense of anticipation.

PS ..dont go too heavy on the tackle…I think there might be some good Roach down that way and you never know when one might turn up amongst any Chub.

theartist

Reaction score
It looks like there's a comparison with Matt's upper Thames with the Severn, they couldn't be more different, as he's mentioned boats it must be the navigation stretches downstream of Lechlade, if so the chub will be concentrated either in weir run offs or close to far bank overhanging trees. I'd look for the latter or areas of shallow faster water, with far bank cover.

Matt86

Reaction score
Hi Matt, sounds like a plan , I suspect you might fancy a longer rod if you get into river fishing , then you'll be on the slippery slope , like the rest of us.
It's a korum all round quiver meant to be around 1.25 lb I believe. Funny I was told a shorter feeder rod better for smaller river feeder fishing . I have a daiwa powermesh 1.75 with the quiver section with 2 and 3oz tips it's 12 ft long

Matt86

Reaction score
It looks like there's a comparison with Matt's upper Thames with the Severn, they couldn't be more different, as he's mentioned boats it must be the navigation stretches downstream of Lechlade, if so the chub will be concentrated either in weir run offs or close to far bank overhanging trees. I'd look for the latter or areas of shallow faster water, with far bank cover.
There is one weir run off but not able to fish until November. Its below Lechlade downstream of the trout Inn, il try and get a picture up if can suss how to .

So try for coverage or faster and shallow water or likely hiding areas .

Matt86

Reaction score
There is one weir run off but not able to fish until November. Its below Lechlade downstream of the trout Inn, il try and get a picture up if can suss how to .

So try for coverage or faster and shallow water or likely hiding areas .

Matt86

Reaction score
16572215290735588815069769001396.jpg

Matt86

Reaction score
From previous picture can see the banks are fairly empty, I will be on the right hand bank, where the flow comes down and around a corner I guess food will be washed into the bank or nearby also, guessing if a crease near a Bush etc another likely spot to try .

theartist

Reaction score
I used to camp out in Buscot car park in the back of my Bedford Rascal van, Buscot weir was and still is on the Thames weir permit, the chub fishing was good in the weir. I remember one day having 50lb of chub to 4lb just by freelining sweetcorn out and watching them take, it was a hot summer and I was standing mid river in my shorts and bare feet, too far to reach my net as I was bogged down in clay like silt I just unhooked each one in the water.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend that approach it does bring back fond memories. It's a lovely area to explore.