different baits

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There are plenty who do exactly that, but I'm with you, far better to build a swim slow and steady, creating confidence. Specially if you can do it without wetting a line for an hour or so. Takes patience to do that I know, but the dividends can be remarkable.

N

Niel Dunnage

How about an artificial nympth presented on a sinking line

R

Ray Bayes

Back to bait.
Just use Nash Whiskey boilies. They catch lots of chub, barbel, carp , tench, bream and even crabs on the tidal trent.

T

Theodore Tsoufis

WE ALL KNOW HOW IMPORTANT ARE MAGGOTS TO ANY ANGLER. UNFORTUNELY NONE OF MY LOCAL TACKLE SHOPS TRADE THEM(I LIVE IN GREECE). I TRIED TO BREED MAGGOTS MYSHELF, BUT THE RESULTS WERE DISAPPOINTING. I TRIED TO OBTAIN THEM BY MAIL-ORDER BUT WHEN THEY ARRIVED HAD ALREADY TURNED TO CASTERS. I AM DESPERATE. I CAN FISH WITH THE MOST EFFECTIVE BAIT OF ALL. ANY SUGGESTIONS? LATELY I DISCOVERED THAT DEAD MAGGOTS(NOT CASTERS) ARE AVAILABLE INTO SPECIAL TINS. DO YOU THINK THAT DEAD MAGGOTS ARE EFFECTIVE? MY E-MAIL ADRESS IS tsoufis@hotmail.com.

R

Richard Elwin

They got a brief mention but Worms, Worms, Worms. On my river (the Dane) they comfortably outfish everything else. Only problem as darkness arrives are those bloody Eels..

P

Paul Williams

Theo,
I have never tried maggots from a tin so i don't know what they are like, but yes dead maggots work.
How long does it take for your mail orders to arrive? if it is quick you could ask them to freeze them before sending them......i often use maggots that have been frozen, especially for baiting up a swim. The mail would have to be quick though, depending on how they pack them.......perhaps you should persevere with breeding them....how did you try?

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

The best bait for Barbel and (Carp in commercial waters) is a paste made-up by a bloke in Manchester, who has been doing-it for 25 years. It is loosely based around salmon pellet technology. Can't find-out any more details, suffice to say it's a friggin' top bollock bait used by loads of top anglers, keeping it a 'secret'. The bloke's phone no. is: 0161-748 0959 and it costs only ?1.99 tub plus p/p. I've spilt the beans, sorry lads!!!.

P

Paul Williams

Colin,
This bloke in Manchester...why does he have the same phone number as you??...teehee

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

You got me Paul!
Gee, why ain't I as clever as you?

R

Rob Brownfield

Minnows!!!..Top Barbel bait! Fish two lipped hooked minnows on a size 6 hook! Also fish them dead, rolled along the bottom a'la Ray Walton and his meat!