Dove barbel.

S

Steve Boulton

I've been fishing the dove for a number of years and have yet to work it out consistently,eg best conditions.It seems to throw the rule book away,having fished other rivers up and down the country knowing there spot on and confident of catching HELP?

J

John Tait

Hi, Steve - I still owe you a 'phone call. I've not forgotten, just under enormous pressure at work at the moment.

Back to the Dove !! - Steve Stayner had a good point to make about the Dove in his bait article in the last Barbel Fisher. He pointed out that the Dove rises on Axe Edge, up near Buxton - it can be winter up there when everywhere else is sweltering in the sun !!

It isn't all that far from Buxton to Doveridge (where I fish the Dove), or even down to Coton (are you an Izaak Walton man ?)or Burton - if there is any cold rain in the Buxton area, or even worse, snow, then it can very effectively kill any chance of reasonable fishing on the Dove.

I know that this will be no consolation at all, but I too have been struggling this season. Some of this has to be due to the fact that this is my first season of river fishing for more than 20 years, but I have had a couple of ( to me ) cracking fish earlier in the season, best 8-12, but then nothing except chub since - mind you, some of those were 4+.

Now I am even struggling to find a few hours to be able to get out - still, soon be summer, long nights, fish a few hours after work !!

Jonty

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm with both of you as far as this season's concerned. The Dove hasn't been consistent at all. Apparently perfect conditions have produced blanks and far from perfect conditions have been productive, and even that hasn't been consistent!

I've got no answers to it. I just hope it's more like it's normal self next season.