Drennan Acolyte 13ft Ultra

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Look......my beef is about not being given the option to " buy and use what's best for me" . I have 3 or 4 rods that came in these stupid sleeves. Was I given the option of having them in a plain old rod bag ? No. Will they even fit ? Not the compact ones....No. Can I buy a sleeve that doesn't come with a reel hump so it fits in my quiver ? No.

So......either I have to follow the fashion or be branded a bad angler because I don't . The hell with that....I am forced to carry the damned thing as well as a quiver because it won't fit or attach to anything. That is what I object too. The sleeves are great for storing rods when not in use at home but for me an absolute PITA as soon as I want to use that rod.

And I object to the suggestion that I'm in a minority of one because I'm clearly not. You can have every damned one of my ready rod sleeves with my compliments. I'll carry my rods in a bag/tube and tackle up fresh each time, thanks.

A pox on all rod sleeves.

I whole heartedly agree with yer Skip about rod sleeves giving the pox but I just can't stop PMSL after reading yer post :D

Certainly brought a smile :)

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
Look......my beef is about not being given the option to " buy and use what's best for me" . I have 3 or 4 rods that came in these stupid sleeves. Was I given the option of having them in a plain old rod bag ? No. Will they even fit ? Not the compact ones....No. Can I buy a sleeve that doesn't come with a reel hump so it fits in my quiver ? No.

So......either I have to follow the fashion or be branded a bad angler because I don't . The hell with that....I am forced to carry the damned thing as well as a quiver because it won't fit or attach to anything. That is what I object too. The sleeves are great for storing rods when not in use at home but for me an absolute PITA as soon as I want to use that rod.

And I object to the suggestion that I'm in a minority of one because I'm clearly not. You can have every damned one of my ready rod sleeves with my compliments. I'll carry my rods in a bag/tube and tackle up fresh each time, thanks.

A pox on all rod sleeves.

Hmm, a Pox. Can we inflict that on some other things first ?

However, why were you forced to buy rods with padded sleeves ? Surely an equivalent was or is available in 3pc or whatever section configuration without padded sleeves ???? It seems you have bought Compact rods ??? It’s true that they do not fit into any other sleeve only their own due to the location of the reel when disassembled. Did you buy Acolyte Compacts ? Why didn’t you then buy ‘normal’ 3pc Acolytes in cloth bags then ???

ken more

Reaction score
Skippy, my son is not rushing around desperately trying to catch fish before I setup, like in the picture you paint of him, he is very casually unzipping his rod sleeve, unfolding his rod, baiting his hook, and casually casting. The whole thing takes him (and anyone else that I know) less than around 60 seconds including a quick plumb up.

Keith, this i find is impossible to believe (including a quick plumb up):eek::eek:
I would need quite a lot of amphetamine just to get the Rod out in that space of time:):w Are you fibbing a little bit? :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hmm, a Pox. Can we inflict that on some other things first ?

However, why were you forced to buy rods with padded sleeves ? Surely an equivalent was or is available in 3pc or whatever section configuration without padded sleeves ???? It seems you have bought Compact rods ??? It’s true that they do not fit into any other sleeve only their own due to the location of the reel when disassembled. Did you buy Acolyte Compacts ? Why didn’t you then buy ‘normal’ 3pc Acolytes in cloth bags then ???

We've wandered a bit off topic here........ probably my fault. I'm having a rant about rod sleeves generally not the ones that Acolytes come in because to the best of my knowledge Acolytes come in nice sensible rod bags. I have one compact rod....I wouldn't have bought a compact rod if I'd had a choice but it's a lovely rod and it only comes in a compact configuration in a bloody sleeve.....so if I want that rod I have to have it like that.

I do have an Acolyte and it's not a compact and didn't come with a sleeve. Hurrah !

All I want is either the option of not having it in a damned sleeve or being able to buy a parallel sleeve so I can carry the rod without a reel attached. Neither option is available to me and that is what is pi$$ing me off.

I have absolutely no problem with anybody who wants to carry their rods made up in a sleeve...... but I don't and it's making it very difficult for me to carry these rods.

Keith M

Reaction score
Keith, this i find is impossible to believe (including a quick plumb up):eek::eek:
I would need quite a lot of amphetamine just to get the Rod out in that space of time:):w Are you fibbing a little bit? :D

No not at all Ken, although he might take another minute or two or even three to plumb his swim if he was fishing a strange water which had lots of different depths that needed noting but he'd still be setup well before me no doubt :)

Keith

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
We've wandered a bit off topic here........ probably my fault. I'm having a rant about rod sleeves generally not the ones that Acolytes come in because to the best of my knowledge Acolytes come in nice sensible rod bags. I have one compact rod....I wouldn't have bought a compact rod if I'd had a choice but it's a lovely rod and it only comes in a compact configuration in a bloody sleeve.....so if I want that rod I have to have it like that.

I do have an Acolyte and it's not a compact and didn't come with a sleeve. Hurrah !

All I want is either the option of not having it in a damned sleeve or being able to buy a parallel sleeve so I can carry the rod without a reel attached. Neither option is available to me and that is what is pi$$ing me off.

I have absolutely no problem with anybody who wants to carry their rods made up in a sleeve...... but I don't and it's making it very difficult for me to carry these rods.

3pc Acolytes come in cloth bags and the Compact versions come in padded rod sleeves. But there are many, many rods available without padded sleeves anyway so lots of choice. However, you have a Compact rod but not bought by choice ? So, as the 2 long sections are the equivalent of a std 12’ 2pc rod why not just buy a std cloth bag for those 2 sections and then put the 12” handle into your rucksack, net bag etc. It’ll take all of 10 seconds to either screw it in or take it out. Or put the 2 long sections into a tube ? Carry just the 2 sections, without any bag, and with Velcro straps around them.

If you are wandering about, with rod folded over, then just leave the 12” handle section in as it’ll be behind you and what you have in front is just the equivalent of a 2pc 12’ rod so not a hassle anyway.

Not heard of parallel sleeves but that sounds like something made-up pole kits might be stored in (as it wouldn’t have any reel section) but then might be wider/fatter and more bulky.

trotter2

Reaction score
I like the idea of the two piece 13ft rod it would be great for leaving a rod set up ready to go.

Never been a fan off those drennan jobs with a short butt section in my ow view it totally defeated the whole concept of setting up quickly.
Which is there main selling point.

If a decent 13ft float rod came on the market which was a propper 2 piece I would buy but never seen anything over 12ft .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just don't get how they can call the rods two piece when they are obviously three sections... two rod lengths and the screw on handle makes three in'it, or it was when I went to school.
I think the two section (three really) rods are more awkward to transport than a normal three section (or two section really but with a bit of rod still attached to the handle) rod when broken down because of the length of the two section (but three section really rod).
It's like telling people that something is square when it's round but because they want to believe it they do and they'll defend the fact that it is really round.....it's a mad mad world!

Richox12

Reaction score
I like the idea of the two piece 13ft rod it would be great for leaving a rod set up ready to go.

Never been a fan off those drennan jobs with a short butt section in my ow view it totally defeated the whole concept of setting up quickly.

If a decent 13ft float rod came on the market which was a propper 2 piece I would buy but never seen anything over 12ft .

It doesn’t defeat its purpose at all. The main reason for 2 long sections is to make it easier to set-up & pack away avoiding the tangles associated by some with 3pc rods which need to be folded twice and the line run around 2 joints or along 2 full sections. This then also makes it much quicker to do.

I think there is a reason why 2pc 13’ rods are not made.

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

I just don't get how they can call the rods two piece when they are obviously three sections... two rod lengths and the screw on handle makes three in'it, or it was when I went to school.
I think the two section (three really) rods are more awkward to transport than a normal three section (or two section really but with a bit of rod still attached to the handle) rod when broken down because of the length of the two section (but three section really rod).
It's like telling people that something is square when it's round but because they want to believe it they do and they'll defend the fact that it is really round.....it's a mad mad world!

2 hollow sections with guides = 2pc

They are a doddle to carry when folded whether in a sleeve or not.

We never say a multi-length rod is 6 piece or whatever we just call it what it is when it's assembled without the unused sections so same difference.

greenie62

Reaction score
I still think that the answer for roving with long rods lies with a 4-piece construction - such that they can be packed away as a shortish 4-piece or roved with 2 x 2-piecers - this should enable rods well-over 13' to be made which keep all anglers happy.
Imagine roving with a 20' Acolyte as 2 x 10' sections! :D

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

yea I know what yer saying mate, I have the 12 ft 2 piece Trabbuco sygnum :thumbs:

This is one pucka bit of kit :D

If I could also find a 13 footer I'd most definitely have one, maybe one for me wish list.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

We never say a multi-length rod is 6 piece or whatever we just call it what it is when it's assembled without the unused sections so same difference.

Oh right, I see now.....the handle isn't part of the rod :confused: :eek:mg:

Yes they do say how many sections a multi piece rod has :rolleyes:.......

Hardy Marksman Supero Avon Smuggler 11ft Coarse Rod | eBay

Ok, that's isn't multi lenght but still multi piece lol

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
It doesn’t defeat its purpose at all. The main reason for 2 long sections is to make it easier to set-up & pack away avoiding the tangles associated by some with 3pc rods which need to be folded twice and the line run around 2 joints or along 2 full sections. This then also makes it much quicker to do.

I think there is a reason why 2pc 13’ rods are not made.

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

I disagree if its marketed as a two piece that's what it should be not a 3 piece marketed as a 2 piece that's ridicules.
I am well aware of the slight advantages of the set up. And also the disadvantages of the short butt section having to transport and fit together.
Regarded of how you look at it,
Its not a 2 piece rod.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I would rather the rod consisted of 2 X 6ft 6in sections (nearly all of my rod sleeves take 6ft 6in rod sections) but just being able to fold the float rod once and have a short handle extension (instead of having all three sections with line running through them) makes it a lot easier to slot together and less prone to tangles which is the main reason why I shy away from normal 3 piece ready made up rods.

Having a short screw in handle section is not exactly a disastrous thing to have, (it only takes a few seconds to add) unless you leave it behind on the bank when you've packed up and gone home of course :)

I agree It would be great for anglers like S-Kippy if you could also buy rod sleeves without the reel bulge, as long as there were enough people wanting them to make it commercially viable.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I defy anyone to take their three piece (oh sorry two, and a odd bit that doesn't exist really) rod out of the sleeve, remove the bands, screw on the handle (which isn't counted as being part of the rod of course) on etc etc before I can put my three piece rod together when I have it assembled and banded together....it ain't gonn'a happen :).

Richox12

Reaction score
just being able to fold the float rod once and have a short handle extension (instead of having all three sections with line running through them) makes it a lot easier to slot together and less prone to tangles which is the main reason why I shy away from 3 piece ready made up rods.

Keith

Yup, that's why it's my choice

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

I defy anyone to take their three piece (oh sorry two, and a odd bit that doesn't exist really) rod out of the sleeve, remove the bands, screw on the handle (which isn't counted as being part of the rod of course) on etc etc before I can put my three piece rod together when I have it assembled and banded together....it ain't gonn'a happen :).

Aha, it's a race you want......

But try packing it away after.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aha, it's a race you want......

But try packing it away after.

I always strip the line off my reel if i'm using a pin and wipe it and my rod off before putting them away, the rod goes in it's cloth bag and tube ready to be freshly made up next time ;).
If I was simply gonn'a take the sections apart and velcro them together i'd do that in 20 seconds :D.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I always strip the line off my reel if i'm using a pin and wipe it and my rod off before putting them away, the rod goes in it's cloth bag and tube ready to be freshly made up next time ;).
If I was simply gonn'a take the sections apart and velcro them together i'd do that in 20 seconds :D.

It's a no brainier ain't it Ian :thumbs:

Simples :D

Richox12

Reaction score
To be fair, Drennan don’t say the Compacts are 2pc rods:

‘Patented design allows rod to pack away into two equal length sections plus a short screw-in handle’

‘Patented design enables the rod to neatly fold away into two plus a short handle section’

It’s just us people who use them call them 2pc because there are only 2 main sections.

For us that use them one fold with one over-fit joint is easier and less prone to tangling mishaps than 2 folds and more line about. I have used made-up 3pc rods and never personally had a problem (well, apart from once assembling a Waggler rod, discovering I couldn’t cast my 2.5g Waggler very easily only to find I’d wrapped the line around the top joint when pushing the sections together – time for glasses !!) and never got into a mess, damaged line or broken anything – not even bent a guide. But when I used the Compact IM9’s they were noticeably easier & quicker as I didn’t have to be so careful (I am anyway) and I would never go back to 3pc at that length.

So, for me, 12’ 2pc float rods are too short to be useful (probably with the exception of catching roach up in the water), a 13’ ‘genuine’ 2pc (so sections about 6’ 7 ½”) would be too long & awkward and stop me changing gear in the car or end up with me tangled in trees when carrying etc etc and 13’ 3pc just not convenient anymore. 13’ as Compacts suit me perfectly. I just wish there was a way to make a 15’.