drink/food for winter fishing

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A tin of new potatoes and a tin of Stagg chillie heated up and put in a wide mouthed flask also a flask of hot water to make tea or coffee as I fancy, milk seperate so it tastes fresh.

benny samways

Reaction score
Hot Ribena is nice in the flask.

I dont like the taste of tea or coffee from a flask so tend to take a flask of hot water and mix it with those ready made coffee sachets.

Thats wen Im on my own, if I go with a mate I'll take proper tea making gear along with a frying pan for banger sandwiches.

Anothers mates missus sometimes brings us hot lunches to the bank in bowls, she even got us a curry once!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anothers mates missus sometimes brings us hot lunches to the bank in bowls, she even got us a curry once!

She does?

Kin-heck, she's a real 'keeper' then.

I've had 3 of them and never a one has ever brought me so much as a flask of coffee to the river . . . . . where did your mate find her then?

Thinking of that other thread about a photographer to follow you around for £40 a day, I reckon a good looking lady arriving at the riverside bearing quality nosh would be worth a darn site more . . . . . . and a good looking lady baring with quality nosh would be worth a lot more than that LOL

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
Quality nosh and a quality nosh would be much more than that. Boom boom.

To be fair, I should of said my mates missus used to bring us food down the bank. She kicked him out over a year ago now! But when they were together and we were fishing a stretch of river opposite her housing estate she did regularly bring us hot food. Again, to be fair, it was her only good quality. Ive done farts that brought more to the room than she could.

mick b

Reaction score
Flask of boiling hot coffee in my stainless flask (Thermos model 2420) best flask I've ever had.
Dropped my original and Thermos sent me a new one under their lifetime warrantee, brilliant service from an English company.
I brought the first in the early 80s and used it and its replacement 5days a week for nigh on 20 years, and throughout the winters since, I don't like fishing in the summer so a flask is an essential item of my tackle.

For THE perfect winter fishing 'meal' try liquidising a tin of drained chickpeas and 1" of coconut cream added to a pan simmering two teaspoons of Thai Red curry paste, boil the mixture up and simmer of 15 mins, then store in a preheated flask.
High protein, high cholesterol, high sugar, brilliant tasting lifesaver.
Absolute heaven in a cup.:D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Never forget my mate bringing a flask of black peas once sea fishing. We were out of Bridlington. He'd soaked his peas well and boiled them nicely, poured them into his (glass lined) flask and packed a plastic spoon away. We got out on the mighty North Sea and at lunchtime he got his flask out hoping to pour a nice bowlful of black peas with vinegar!

However, the peas had continued stewing and were like one solid mass in the flask. He poked around for a few with the plastic fork before that broke and then he started hitting the bottom of the flask whilst it was upside down, but nothing was forthcoming. It ended when he smacked it so hard the glass liner broke and then he got his peas out, intermixed with slivers of broken silvered glass.

He never bothered with black peas ever again.

B

binka

She does?

Kin-heck, she's a real 'keeper' then.

I've had 3 of them and never a one has ever brought me so much as a flask of coffee to the river . . . . . where did your mate find her then?

I was fishing the Trent a few weeks ago and the bloke a couple of pegs down had his missus turn up with stove, bacon etc and she came up to offer me a bacon sarnie which I reluctantly accepted just so as not to appear rude... a-herm.

I was gonna put an offer in for her but thought better of it.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
MY CHORIZO STEW WITH BEANS:

1 chorizo sausage (Tesco finest is good and not too expensive!)
1 tin of can Cannelinni beans (or haricot, butter or barloti)
1 red chilli (or as many as you can handle!)
1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
1 level teaspoon cumin
1 can chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper to season
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons of Sherry vinegar
few sprigs of sage.
Heat oil in frying pan and add chopped chilli and sliced Chorizo and fry on a medium heat for a few mins, add spices and fry for 1 min to cook out the rawness then add sherry vinegar and reduce to a syrup to de-glaze the pan. Add beans and tomatoes and simmer till the sauce thickens, add chopped sage stir for a few mins, add salt and pepper to taste.

A really warming winter stew... absolutely delicious! great in a wide mouth flask on very cold days

tortoise100

Reaction score
Sausages, bread rolls ,brown sauce and a frying pan then i make fresh sausage sandwiches every two hours this is great in cold weather don't forget nappy change bags to cover your hands don't want to catch anything from the smelly dead baits .
Flask of coffee if its a half day ,water and make it fresh if all day .
I prefer bacon but its harder to stop it sticking to the pan so sausages it has to be.
Planning on crackers and pate tomorrow.
My mate always brings posh biscuits and chocolate biscuits like kit cats or rockys.
There is a 24h McDonald on the way to our syndicate lake so we have developed the habit of getting a big breakfast on the way .

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An observation I have made over the years is the fact that tea/coffee actually tastes fresh in a stainless flask even with milk, no matter how long you keep it, whereas tea/coffee from a traditional glass Thermos tastes absolutely vile! As anybody else found this or is my flask superior to anybody else's....? :D :D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's an interesting observation about the stainless flask. SS has some very interesting properties, I have a lozenge shaped lump of it in my kitchen sink which takes the smell off your hands when you have been handling strong flavoured foods, garlic, onions etc. I dont have a clue how that works but it does.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's an interesting observation about the stainless flask. SS has some very interesting properties, I have a lozenge shaped lump of it in my kitchen sink which takes the smell off your hands when you have been handling strong flavoured foods, garlic, onions etc. I dont have a clue how that works but it does.

The answer to that is that the bar (mine is aluminium) is impregnated with silver which somehow removes odours from your skin! It is also used inside fridges for the same reason...Clever idea hey? don't ask me how it works though, you will have to get on trusty old Google for that :)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Silver is a natural germicide, perhaps what kills the smells and other things. At one time, nurses belt buckles and stuff were made of silver. Used in amalgams for tooth fillings. Also used by posh pregnant women who would swallow a spoon made from silver that somehow got down to the womb where the child would then be born with it in its mouth. A few years ago it was introduced into plasters.

Some of the above is NOT true....

31lpTyapc4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Silver is a natural germicide, perhaps what kills the smells and other things. At one time, nurses belt buckles and stuff were made of silver. Used in amalgams for tooth fillings. Also used by posh pregnant women who would swallow a spoon made from silver that somehow got down to the womb where the child would then be born with it in its mouth. A few years ago it was introduced into plasters.

Some of the above is NOT true....

31lpTyapc4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Trust good old Jeff to give us an answer :)

tortoise100

Reaction score
I use a ss flask every work day and find coffee tastes better than tea in a flask gave up on glass flasks about 10 years ago far too fragile .
I actually a tea drinker by preference .

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I've taken the advice and googled, looks like nobody knows. There's lots of anecdotal evidence and theories about sulphur binding with chromium but nothing about silver I'm afraid. I did find something about stainless steel knife handles and as a keen cook I have noticed I don't get garlic smells lingering on my hands since I invested in a decent stainless steel cooks knife instead of the moulded plastic one I used to use.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I've taken the advice and googled, looks like nobody knows. There's lots of anecdotal evidence and theories about sulphur binding with chromium but nothing about silver I'm afraid. I did find something about stainless steel knife handles and as a keen cook I have noticed I don't get garlic smells lingering on my hands since I invested in a decent stainless steel cooks knife instead of the moulded plastic one I used to use.

Get yourself a couple of Wusthof Ikon knives mate, yes, a bit pricey, but they are the best knives I have ever used, the balance in the hand is superb. The German steel is incredible and keeps a sharp edge longer than the VERY expensive Japanese blades.

I will see if I can find out a bit about silver on tint,ernet (that's Derbyshire for the internet :))