Ear Kev

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
Ear Kev - D&F Avon

A marvellous tool Cliff and not an expensive rod....very light and fine tapered but with plenty of mid section steel. is it a two piece 10 footer Cliff - or a three piece with a whole cane butt? either way a super rod and a model with which I have enjoyed some wonderful small stream chub and barbel days..

Nice mail Jim - content appreciated.
best wishes
Gary

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I think, if I may express an opinion as a 'newbie', one should remember that Gary has been writing small fishing articles and diaries for some time.

Some of these seem to have been lost (?) with the demise of another site but they are, or were, numerous and if one had had the oportunity to read them all one would see that Gary doesn't have an axe to grind about other styles of fishing, nor is he a 'preacher' ( in spite of all those hats). He just loves simple fishing with old gear .... I'm much the same myself, though in my case it is to enable me to blame something other than myself for yet another 'blank'.

I was once described as being 'a member of the lower orders of the coarse fishing world' .... a badge I wear with pride, so 'Yes', there are some right old bores in the world of fishing, particularly in the sphere of antique tackle. Gary isn't one of them

Give him time, chaps, and he will grow on you.........and you can always amuse yourself , meantime, by counting the hats.

I.C.

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
Ear Kev...

The indifferent crucian.. now there‘s a name. Thank you for kind words, and even a mention of my hats. Funny enough, I just sent some hat images to the Editors today in the hope that my ’What is it about hats?’ article may make an appearance on FM. Shame that the old web site bit the dusk, but it is possible over time that a number of articles will make it to this wonderful Magic Fishing site. I realise this is a far wider audience and many will not agree with my words, my sentiments, nor my fishing styles, tackle and techniques. But life would be truly dull if we were all the same, and all wore the same hat!
best wishes,
Gary

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
And anyone want to read said article need only scroll to the bottom of the page and enter 'hat' into the google box down there to discover it already sur le site - uploaded June last year me hearties!

A

alison3492

A very enjoyable article Gary.Good to see and read about some of the tackle you use too.There is never enough on traditional fishing for me!.More please...

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
Thanks Champ. The feedback overall makes for interesting reading - those who collect and/or use old tackle and those who prefer modern tackle, modern methods and modern baits. And those who are traditionalists or just get satisfaction from trying to outwit fish with gear from yesteryear - simple tactics and simple natural baits like worms, maggots and bread, love to read of old cane rods and reels and are happy to see the names and compare notes. I too love to know what 50, 60 and 70 year old rods are still in existence; still in use. But I fully understand that others have no interest in crotchety old tackle and want to know what baits and what methods others have used on particular waters for specific fish. I think that’s the beauty of such web sites and forums as Fishing Magic.