Erewash Canal

D

Davy North

I've just been roped in to fish my works Northern region match. The selection process being something along the lines of "you go fishing, you'll do".

The match isn't until early July on the Erewash canal at Cotmanhay.
It's quite a few years since I even fished a match, and then only one on a canal, the junior National on the Lancaster canal in 78'ish.

I've never seen the Erewash, the only thing I know about it is the late Frank Barlow used to fish it a lot. Judging by his articles it sounds a bit of a grouler.
Any information anyone can give will be very welcome i.e. width, depth, tactics, species.

We also have a more fundamental problem. Even though the canal is on my road atlas, Cotmanhay isn't. Could some one tell me where it is?!

R

Robert Draper

If you look for Ilkeston between Derby and Nottingham then Cotmanhay is the northern end of Ilkeston going towards Heanor (not far from the American Adventure theme park). Can't be of much more help as I haven't fished the canal for 15-16 years when bronze maggots or casters were the order of the day.

D

Davy North

Thanks Robert,

At least we know where abouts we're going, and that's a good start.

R

Robert Draper

I'll see what I can scratch up before July, I think the water belongs to the Shipley No5 Area Club and I will be getting a season ticket soon (as the F&M restrictions have been lifted around some of their waters). Email me a reminder in July if I haven't contacted you.