Exploring Fenland

John Aston

Reaction score
The Wild Trout Trust magazine, Salmo Trutta, had a fascinating article last year about restoration of a small drain/stream system near Martin Delph , I think on Dyson farmland , which focussed on burbot habitat . The species apparently had very precise requirements for spawning which has almost completely disappeared from the Witham system due to farming use , silting up and drainage .

Whenever I fish the Yorkshire Derwent or the lower part of the Rye, its principal tributary , I can't help wondering if there is still the tiniest chance of encountering a burbot . It is reputed to be one of the last areas in which burbot were found in the UK , and the rivers are far less 'managed' than in Lincolnshire . That said , Lincolnshire has much more fitting names for places such an almost mythical creature might lives - who wouldn't fancy their chances at a Billinghay Skirth , Pode Hole or Fishtoft Drove ?

@Clive

Reaction score
The Wild Trout Trust magazine, Salmo Trutta, had a fascinating article last year about restoration of a small drain/stream system near Martin Delph , I think on Dyson farmland , which focussed on burbot habitat . The species apparently had very precise requirements for spawning which has almost completely disappeared from the Witham system due to farming use , silting up and drainage .

Whenever I fish the Yorkshire Derwent or the lower part of the Rye, its principal tributary , I can't help wondering if there is still the tiniest chance of encountering a burbot . It is reputed to be one of the last areas in which burbot were found in the UK , and the rivers are far less 'managed' than in Lincolnshire . That said , Lincolnshire has much more fitting names for places such an almost mythical creature might lives - who wouldn't fancy their chances at a Billinghay Skirth , Pode Hole or Fishtoft Drove ?
Pode Hole? That brings back memories.

On the afforementioned juvenile holiday we walked about 3 miles from the B&B to fish a place called Pode Hole Pond for tench. We caught dozens of them, none bigger than around 4oz. The second day we hiked to the pond a couple who were staying at the B&B kindly came to collect us. Three youths, three baskets, three holdalls plus assorted nets, etc all in the back of an Austin A30 :ROFLMAO:

@Clive

Reaction score

Have you fished the Seven near Malton? It is a very small river that meanders through pasture land and contains (or did in the mid 1980's) some lovely grayling. Not many, but small numbers of fish go (or went) over 2lb. Now, grayling are a fish associated with cold water, as are burbot, and the Seven is I believe part of the last stronghold of the burbot, the Yorkshire Derwent via the Rye.

John Aston

Reaction score
I concentrate on the Rye, and its tributary the Seph, but I have fished guest days on the Seven . Like all the Moors rivers , it is delightful and the section I mot enjoyed was miles from anywhere, in its upper reaches. It is stunning up there, but for geological reasons the Rye is the better river for both trout and grayling . I had fished for twenty years for grayling and never caught a two pounder from the Pennine rivers - since joining my ruinously expensive club on the Rye my score is now about 50 . It is a beautiful river and the further upstream you go the more gorgeous it gets .

Wild Trout Trust auction is now live and includes a day on me on the upper Rye , and it always gets a lot of interest .

@Clive

Reaction score
The larger grayling were near to Flamingo Land where the river flows through pasture land. It was day ticket and in the day the tickets were bought from a filling station between FL and Malton. I could go three or four weeks apart and the serial number was always one more than on my previous ticket. The grayling were very much like chub in the places they were found. Single fish to groups of three or four. No chance of fly fishing. Trotting small worms did it for me.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just a cautionary word for anyone deciding to check out fenland, particularly in the winter months.
The narrow roads are often elevated above the fields, often with a drain on one side, a field on the other.
Cold weather brings frost and slippy conditions and a quick touch of the brakes can often have a driver losing control of the vehicle and ending up in hospital, a drain, a field or ditch like my neighbour once had happen to him and three other anglers.
Be careful!