Feeder reel - Ultegra 5500, Preston, or what?

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a fixed spool reel dedicated to feeder fishing for barbel, on the Wye and (Warwickshire) Avon. Budget is up to £120.00, and so far I'm looking at a Shimano Ultegra 5500 and for a bit less, Preston Extremity Feeder. Any other suggestions welcome. I don't really want, or need, a baitrunner... and I like front drag, a lot, so no rear drag suggestions, thanks.

My feeder rod is an Acolyte Plus Feeder 11ft, but I fancy a 1.75lb rod just for barbel - again, suggestions welcome, but I've been eyeing a 12ft Greys Prodigy.

Thanks.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be wary of sizing. The 5500 Shimano reels are usually mini-big pit reels that are far bigger than the vast majority of coarse fishing "feeder" reels. That's not to say that there aren't people using them for extreme range feeder fishing and big river barbelling. However, I would urge you to see them in the flesh and not risk a blind purchase. They are definitely not just a touch bigger than a normal Shimano 4000/5000 sized reel.

mikench

Reaction score
I have the Ultegra 5500 amongst others and it’s big but not excessively heavy. It’s certainly a lot bigger than the Emcast 4500 or any other 4000 size. I will repeat that a free spool facility does not mean mandatory use. It is very useful though imo. The Emcast BR l&t is a great reel . The Daiwa 20 GS 5000c is another and popular with barbel anglers.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a fixed spool reel dedicated to feeder fishing for barbel, on the Wye and (Warwickshire) Avon. Budget is up to £120.00, and so far I'm looking at a Shimano Ultegra 5500 and for a bit less, Preston Extremity Feeder. Any other suggestions welcome. I don't really want, or need, a baitrunner... and I like front drag, a lot, so no rear drag suggestions, thanks.

My feeder rod is an Acolyte Plus Feeder 11ft, but I fancy a 1.75lb rod just for barbel - again, suggestions welcome, but I've been eyeing a 12ft Greys Prodigy.

Thanks.
Have a look at the Korum 11ft 1.75 tc rods, around 50 quid and have a reasonable rep for the price. If going for Shimanos go for the smaller size 4K 5K. But go have a look before you buy. Your Anglers Direct nearest store is probably you best bet to see them in the flesh.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Whatever reel you go for, take the rod it is going on with you , Then you can check the balance and total weight .
No god thinking " I wil have that reel' get it home and find it's not comparable with the rod it's going on .
Same goes if you are buying a rod and reel at the same time .

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Just bought a Drennan Twin Tip Duo 1.5lb. Will use it as my barbel /.chub rod and a general roving rod for the winter, for both trotting and ledgering, when I only want to carry one rod.

Still can't get over the price of coarse fishing gear compared to fly fishing. I guess it's the volume that keeps prices low, but I can't see where the £800.00 difference is, between a top-end Sage fly rod and, say, an Acolyte... except that the Sage is made in the USA.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't see where the £800.00 difference is, between a top-end Sage fly rod and, say, an Acolyte... except that the Sage is made in the USA.

Whilst an Acolyte might be Drennan's flagship match/coarse range, it's not at a particularly high price point. A slightly fairer comparison would be a flagship Daiwa. They have a couple of ranges (Tournament Pro and Airity X45) that top the £400 mark. The top line Air AGS Z range starts at £500+ and goes as high as £600+. They also make their high end rods in the UK rather than the far east.

Fishing gear that is actually made in the UK, Japan or the U.S.A. does attract a significant premium over stuff made in China (and a few other far east countries). You may also find that fly fishing gear, especially premium fly fishing gear, has a pricing structure all of its own. In some ways it's similar (but more costly) scenario to the "carp tax" endured by the UK carp tackle market. An element of how much the market will bear comes into it. The average coarse angler tends to balk at paying much more than £200 for a rod.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Whilst an Acolyte might be Drennan's flagship match/coarse range, it's not at a particularly high price point. A slightly fairer comparison would be a flagship Daiwa. They have a couple of ranges (Tournament Pro and Airity X45) that top the £400 mark. The top line Air AGS Z range starts at £500+ and goes as high as £600+. They also make their high end rods in the UK rather than the far east.

Gosh, don't tempt me... I'm not even going to look. I guess another interesting comparison would be to compare an entry-level Sage, which is £500.00 and is IMO a broomstick, to a top-end Drennan at £200.00.

As someone who used to fish Sage and Winston fly rods, I might be in the demographic to want/need/be seduced by a top-end coarse rod. Maybe if I get to try a £600.00 coarse rod when I'm experienced enough to know the difference, I'll change my mind, but the great thing is, as a coarse fishing 'novice' I see the Acolyte as a premium product for very little outlay.

The only item of coarse fishing gear that I would consider an indulgence right now, would be a JW Youngs centrepin... I will buy one, but (being property rich, retired, and cash poor) probably only if I decide to give up on fly fishing completely and sell some of my fly fishing gear.

Last edited: