First Boat Purchase for big lochs

riverninja

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice re: my first boat purchase please.

Im looking for something in the 16ft-17ft range, to be used mainly in Loch Lomond and Loch Awe, for both fishing and family days (max 4 persons). Might also want to take it into the firth of forth once i get my experince up and pass a couple courses.

Budget isnt an issue and im happy with new or second hand if in very good condition and only couple years old.

My online searches keep bringing me to the same 5 choices:-

- Orkney Longliner 16
- Arran 16
- Explorer Elite
- Warrior 165
- Pilot 6

Has anyone got first hand experience with any of the above and able to offer a recommendation (or a warning against)?

Or, are there other boats in this category which i should consider above any of these?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
The first two on your short list will be excellent if speed is not important. Both will take the waves well (driven properly!) and if you troll for ferox trout will be perfect at the slow speeds required.

The next three on your list are heavier for their length as they are wider boats and designed to plane at speed. They require much heavier outboards and will cost more to run. These boats are probably preferable if you like a cuddy shelter of a reasonable size, certainly great day boats for comfort!

I would fish comfortably with two (max three) anglers on the Orkney or Arran. If you usually have a crew of three or four the other boats will give you more space.

Another thing to consider is trailering your boat and what sort of vehicle you tow with. There are weight limits on each car for towing, check your handbook. The first two boats will probably be OK with a non-braked trailer if they are lightly loaded, the bigger three will require a braked trailer (check the law for what weight puts you in the braked trailer category). I cannot remember now what that weight is and it might have changed since I last towed anyway.

Braked trailers are a nightmare for constant maintenance, especially if you launch in saltwater!

I would advise that you do the boating course at Port Edgar even before buying a boat. It will open your eyes to a great deal and certainly make you a safer driver on the water. Certainly I wish I had done the level 2 Powerboat course sooner, found it so much fun I went back and did the Advanced Power Boat course a year later.

Blue Runner Loch Lomond.jpg

That photo is taken of me in my Seahog Seejeep on Loch Lomond. This Seajeep fished waters around Scotland for years - Torriden for common skate, Dunbar for cod and pollack, Loch Lomond and Loch Awe for pike and trout. This boat with a 30hp 2 stroke did not need a braked trailer and I could fish three comfortably.

If I wanted a trailer boat for that kind of fishing now I would look out for an Orkney 452, just finding one at the right price as they hold their value 2nd hand. https://www.orkneyboats.com/range/open-and-cuddy-boat-range/orkney-452

Also be sure to get a decent trailer, the cheap option of a T frame trailer will make launching difficult on all but the most perfect slipways. Get a proper multi-roller trailer with a swinging cradle at the rear, that will allow quite easy launching even on a shallow beach.

Last edited:

riverninja

Reaction score
The first two on your short list will be excellent if speed is not important. Both will take the waves well (driven properly!) and if you troll for ferox trout will be perfect at the slow speeds required.

The next three on your list are heavier for their length as they are wider boats and designed to plane at speed. They require much heavier outboards and will cost more to run. These boats are probably preferable if you like a cuddy shelter of a reasonable size, certainly great day boats for comfort!

I would fish comfortably with two (max three) anglers on the Orkney or Arran. If you usually have a crew of three or four the other boats will give you more space.

Another thing to consider is trailering your boat and what sort of vehicle you tow with. There are weight limits on each car for towing, check your handbook. The first two boats will probably be OK with a non-braked trailer if they are lightly loaded, the bigger three will require a braked trailer (check the law for what weight puts you in the braked trailer category). I cannot remember now what that weight is and it might have changed since I last towed anyway.

Braked trailers are a nightmare for constant maintenance, especially if you launch in saltwater!

I would advise that you do the boating course at Port Edgar even before buying a boat. It will open your eyes to a great deal and certainly make you a safer driver on the water. Certainly I wish I had done the level 2 Powerboat course sooner, found it so much fun I went back and did the Advanced Power Boat course a year later.

View attachment 10875

That photo is taken of me in my Seahog Seejeep on Loch Lomond. This Seajeep fished waters around Scotland for years - Torriden for common skate, Dunbar for cod and pollack, Loch Lomond and Loch Awe for pike and trout. This boat with a 30hp 2 stroke did not need a braked trailer and I could fish three comfortably.

If I wanted a trailer boat for that kind of fishing now I would look out for an Orkney 452, just finding one at the right price as they hold their value 2nd hand. https://www.orkneyboats.com/range/open-and-cuddy-boat-range/orkney-452

Also be sure to get a decent trailer, the cheap option of a T frame trailer will make launching difficult on all but the most perfect slipways. Get a proper multi-roller trailer with a swinging cradle at the rear, that will allow quite easy launching even on a shallow beach.
Thanks for that pelamid. Really helpful and gives me a few things to think about. I was going to look up some boat safety courses and didnt realise port edgar did them, so thatll give me a starting point. I came across the seahog too but their website is currently down so didnt find out more or include in the list, but perhaps i should make enquiries there too. Really appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk