First post for me

Blue Fisher

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been fishing for a long time, on and off, one of the off periods was for quite a while when I only really fished while on holiday. So a lot of my tackle was quite old. I’ve brought a few secondhand bits recently but I really want to build my own rod. I did this before but that was when rods were fibreglass, techniques have changed a bit since then. I will practice using a reclaimed blank before I shell out on the eye wateringly pricy blanks that are available. Having searched the site I can see that many of your contributors have done this for themselves and I expect I will reach out to them when in need.
I mainly fish for chub, I’m happy to fish for the best local fish rather than travel to find a huge one.

Keith M

Reaction score
Not many anglers build their own rods these days, mainly because there are so many different rods on the market at all price levels and it’s probably cheaper to go out and buy one.

I used to make a lot of my rods in the past but the above is the reason that I no longer do it.

Obviously, if you do it for the fun of it then of course that’s great; and you can find all of the blanks and other accessories and also info to enable you to build your own rods on https://www.guidesnblanks.com/

Keith

Blue Fisher

Reaction score
Hi Keith, many thanks for your reply, I do fall into the category where it is all part of the fun. I have even considered buying a new rod just to get the blank! However they are so well finished I doubt if I would be able to bring myself to strip it down. However I do believe that a lot of things contribute to a good days fishing, weather, venue, company, fish caught ( size and condition) and using tackle made by oneself is just another element.

guidesnblanks seem to be the only reasonably sized supplier and I have already used them for the odd ring and cork repair. But many thanks for taking the time to recommend them.
As far as I can see they are also one of the (very) few companies offering blanks in competition with Harrison and are probably the only company other than Harrison to offer a few general river fishing blanks. But even then there are virtually no customer reviews of guidesnblanks own brand of blanks. I found a nice picture of a beautifully made example of their heavier twin tip rod curved over, but nothing else. It’s difficult to realistically justify a purchase on such little evidence.
If anyone has an opinion of their blanks I would like to see it.