Fish in Spawn

G

Gary Knowles

Graham,

Quite right, lets not mess about here. Don't even BEGIN to consider what will make an anti angler happy, because he will be an ill educated, bunny hugging workshy moron with little or no understanding of natural history or ecology and as such does not deserve to be consulted in any way.

Mind you, you said:

" How many pregnant women do you know who give birth by being banged into by the male and then rubbing themselves against weed and gravel, to the point where they're left with physical damage?"

None - but I know quite a few that conceive that way ! ! !

A

Alan Roe

As I have already agreed there is no point even attempting to appeases the antis they are at least as committed as we are to their side of the fence.
As for putting image to the bottom of the pile and demanding our right to fish as we please and in any way that we please, try telling that to the hunting brigade!!!!

Like it or not image and retaining the good will of the general public is important if we want to continue to enjoy our sport.

Yes we do stick hooks in fish but at this time the public are very vaugely aware of it but are not greatly over bothered by it at this time.

We are currently still able to show that in general fish and their survival is better for the existance of anglers than would be the case if we were not here to be the eyes and ears of the waterways.

For this we can in large measure thank the ACA and the stirling work that they do in being the scourge of polluters they continue to feed the positive image of angling despite the fact that they are chronically undersupported by angers in general.

I naturally assume that all the contributers are individual members of the ACA if not then shame on you!!

R

Ron Clay

Jim Gibbinson once said that if you want to catch a really big tench, pray for a cool spring so that by June 16 the fish will have not spawned and be at their heaviest.

Knowing Jim I think he wrote these words with a bit of tongue in cheek.

Personally I wouldn't deliberately fish for fish either heavy with spawn or in the act of spawning. However we can't always avoid fish heavy with spawn and as Rik says the close seasons needed to prevent this would be ridiculous.

With the exception of trout and some other predators it can be very difficult to catch fish which are spawning anyway. Not by legal means that is.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It looks like I'd better clarify what I mean by targeting fish 'heavy with spawn'.

It means I fish for pike in February and March when they're getting increasingly fatter with spawn, Tench in May and June, and often into July, carp in May and June and sometimes into July, bream in April and May, etc, etc. (These periods vary with temperature and which end of the country you fish).

I don't mean that I go looking for a big fat fish that's cruising round its spawning area looking for a suitable maternity site.

It just means that I don't stop fishing during that period when the fish are carrying spawn.

P

paul clarke

just a quick note...as anglers we should all have the fishes safety and health in mind so instead of debating as to whether we catch spawn laden fish or not , perhaps we should ensure that these fish are handled in the correct manner thus reducing any problems that may occur whilst the fish are out of the water

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Alan, much as I respect your views I have to disagree with much of your reasoning on this issue.

You say (referring to putting image at the bottom of the pile) "look what happened to the hunting brigade."

So do you think that changing their image would have altered things? Could they have made fox hunting with hounds and shooting warm-blooded, pain feeling, wild animals acceptable, with a 'nicer' image?

Would the general public have said, "Oh, nice chaps those hunters, let them carry on. look at how they look after the foxes before they hunt them down, and how wonderfully they treat the pheasants and ducks before they shoot them."

It's like fishing, wrap it up any way you like but the one thing you can't alter is that we stick hooks in fish and pull them from the water. Hunters hunt down animals and shoot them dead. Image doesn't alter that one iota.

Goodwill from the general public isn't something to be dismissed out of hand I agree, but it shouldn't be top priority.

Top priority in my book is to get rid of the apathy in our own ranks so that we are better prepared to fight any fight that comes along.

And yes, belonging to the ACA, or not, is a good measure of that apathy.

And incidentally, so as not to shirk the question, I've been a member of the ACA for most of my adult life.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Paul, what you suggest is worth discussing, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the matter of spawn-laden fish. If you want to begin a debate specifically about correct fish-handling then by all means start a thread with that as the topic.

A

Alan Roe

Graham I feel that we have a diiference of degree and I am more liable to place image a little higher that yourself.
This is fine I have no problem with that.

The hunting brigade are faced with a bit of a double whammy in terms of image firstly there has been the ongoing 'disneyfication' of animals by the producers of story book and cartoon entertainment which has lead to the state when some people belive that foxes and rabbits wear little jackets at home!

Secondly hunters have the image of being an arrogant bunch of Tory toffs who look down on the rest of the little proletairat plebs. This ensures that much of society in this day and age can hate them freely. Lets face it they are about the only minority left that can be openly hated and abused and the haters can get away with it and not be brought to book by the politically correct thought police!

This combination of bad immage and open class hatred means that the hunting brigade can be discriminated against by the current administration in their opinion..

There are many occasions when bad law has been rushed through parliament on the back of a hysterical campaign by the media the last two firearms acts are just two examples of this shooters, normally one of the most law abiding sections of the community were demonised and the rest as they say is history.

I am not in the business of preaching to my 'brothers of the angle' as to how they should conduct themselves in the way that they practise their sport.
I am not proposing any bans on any activity distastful though I personaly find some of them as that is a dangerous road to go down.

What I am saying is for us all to be aware of the potential effect of our practises on the psychi of the general public and not to publisise them any further than we have to.

What does please me is that we can have this sort of informed debate and that despite the fact that there are areas of disagreement amongst us, the tone of this debate has been positive and without rancour.
How we conduct ourselves is important when discussing often emotive issues and I thank all of you for having debated this with cool heads.

Who knows in the unlikly event of my running across you on a riverbank I might even get a round in............

P

Paul Williams

I've just walked in from a fishing session with Graham,the lake was next to a bar, take it from me you won't only end up with a light lunch.....your wallet will be considrably lighter too!!! Sedge i should have listened to you!!!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I didn't forget my wallet, I just inadvertently forgot to put anything in it. And I didn't realise until Paul had got two rounds in, so I thought, 'well, he may as well carry on now......'

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Alan, we are very close to agreeing with each other so I think we're batting off the same wicket anyway. And as for buying a drink, that sounds like a good idea, and I'll return the compliment........ if I have my wallet with me, and if it's got anything in it.

L

Leon Foreman

If I had the ability to select between fish - meaning full of spawn or not - I would rather have the big ones take my bait. We do not have closed seassons and dont think it was ever a disuccion here as well - might be wrong tough. Fish in spawn is a natural occurrance and should be considdred for a record(I think that was the original question) as it might be seen as a fish in prime condition( We all know the old saying about women looking at their most beutifull when pregnant or in some aglers case after a couple of pints). To me you cant differentiate between a record fish in spawn or a record carp swimming in syndicated waters that only a handfull are allowed to fish. It seem that with each passing day the issue of fishing gets more and more confusing. In the end of the day it still comes down to personal choice and views. If you dont wish to fish heavely spawning fish its up to you. Just dont condem those that see fit to fish for them. As long as you as indevidual enjoy your angling and stay within the normal bounderies of what is ethical correct and acceptable by the general fishing publick you can do no harm. If we end up starting splitting hair about Livebait, keepnets, boilies, ground baits and all sorts of liltle personal issues we might as well pack our gear away and declare the anti's winners.

P

Paul Williams

Leon,
That's a refreshingly honest thread....if we are all honest and we could see the fish taking our bait i think the vast majority of us would will the biggest to take.
I look after my catches as best i can whatever condition they are in and that is the best we can do, i sometimes wonder why some people go fishing, at the end of the day we can only go so far, we have to be carefull not to talk ourselves out of fishing!!!