Fish put on weight

S

Stewart Bloor

On the current pool I'm fishing I caught a chub last month when I started to fish there. I caught it twice at 3-4-0 and 3-6-0. Nothing unusual in that. But last night I caught what I am 99.9%certain is the same fish. Only this time it was 4-0-8.
I checked the scales, re-checked etc etc. No problems there. But surely not the same fish? I'm puzzled. Any pointers. I thought about spawn, and then couldn't remember seeing a chub that fills out in the same noticeable way that, say, tench do ie with a big belly. Do chub spread out more in a general way, rather than something easily recognisable?
The only other explanation is that it's been eating all my boilies and packing on weight mega fast....

R

Rob Brownfield

Maybe all your boillies have destroyed its liver causing it to have water retention...just like that 72 pound mirror found dead a few years back!! Went from 38 pound to 72 pound in a month!!!

Seriously though, I have known tank captive fish to suddenly increase in weight for no real apparent reason. I think some fish do naturally have a spurt of growth in the spring...having been *hungry* all winter, they suddemly feed hard and pack on the weight.

C

Carp Angler

Water retention as you describe is countered through the skin and its when the skin loses its ability to dispel water and has nothing to do with what the fish eats or the state of its liver.

G

gary magee

When I a member of the Bantons syndicate up at Wyreside a few years ago a fish(hoover) on the Wyre lake syndicate which had seemed to level out at the high twenties suddenly started stated putting on weight at an alarming rate i.e.several pounds aweek and was suddenly getting caught every week. this caused such alarm that there were plans to retire it to the trout lake as It was thought it must have some sort of gland problem.But luckily it seemed to calm down and I think now has leveled off at around 40lb and is doing fine.If any one watching is a member of wyre could you please post to let me know if my facts are straight

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik, I was actually quoting from an Anglers mail report by, I think, Bruno Broughton. But hey...it was ment as a joke!