Flavouring Maggots

Butcherboy

Reaction score
What spice(s) can I use to enhance maggots in winter? I used to use an Archie Braddock mix years ago but didn't really know what was in it.
I don't mind mixes spices as I love experimenting. Thanks in advance Steve

Butcherboy

Reaction score

That seems like a good mix thanks (y)

Ingredients​

Ground Coriander, Ground Ginger, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cumin, Ground Black Pepper, Ground Pimento, Ground Cardamom, Ground Clove, Ground Bay, Ground Cassia, Ground Nutmeg

@Clive

Reaction score
Try turmeric, one heaped teaspoon per pint of maggots. Give them a day to absorb the flavour and colour. If carp anglers use the venue try smoked paprika as this is close to the Robin Red flavours used in many boilie recipies. Also, aniseed powder is good in winter and I have read, but not tried pineapple flavouring from the cake making products aisle is good for roach in summer.

Ged28

Reaction score
Turmeric was very popular back in the 70's over bronze maggots on the Trent, and I'm sure other places. It goes back a bit further than that though, I think Isaak Walton mentioned it in the 17th century.

@Clive

Reaction score
Turmeric was very popular back in the 70's over bronze maggots on the Trent, and I'm sure other places. It goes back a bit further than that though, I think Isaak Walton mentioned it in the 17th century.
Yes, in one of the later editions with Cotton he mentions suet coloured with turmeric as a paste bait for chub.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Used to use liquid spice carp flavours,Rod Hutchinson did a really good one,a few drops in two or three pints worked very well,the maggots took the flavour in too,which I thought was a good thing...

Keith M

Reaction score
Used to use liquid spice carp flavours,Rod Hutchinson did a really good one,a few drops in two or three pints worked very well,the maggots took the flavour in too,which I thought was a good thing...
I used to find a few drops of Hutchinson’s ‘Bun Spice’ quite good on maggots.
Also; I’m not sure if you can still get it in tackleshops but I used to find ‘Wasp Cake’ bait spray flavouring quite good too; as was Archie Braddocks ‘Sweet and Spicey’ powdered bait flavouring.

Keith

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The one I used was ultraspice,very effective,in fact I still have a few bottles,mainly as I found that you need to flavour them as you open the bait box for your session to get maximum,quality flavour...