Float fishing main line B/S.

dicky123

Reaction score
I've seen written that Daiwa Sensor 6lb breaks around 8.5lb.

Has anyone seen what Drennan float fish breaks at any place please?

I used it for trotting this winter in lighter b/s and really liked it, as it floated very well. I'd like to try it for barbel in a higher strain maybe 6lb. But not if it's unrated, thanks all.

****y.

dicky123

Reaction score
Maybe your thinking about some other line buddy. Float fish is not pre-stretched as far as I know? Thanks.

thecrow

Reaction score
If it isn't and I am not sure if it is or not it certainly hasn't got the amount stretch that I would be happy with, sometimes the rod is not enough to cushion sudden lunges particularly considering the amount of inertia required to initiate the clutch giving line.

I know there are plenty on here that are very happy with it and have used it for a long time, they are probably better placed to give a view on it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know there are plenty on here that are very happy with it and have used it for a long time, they are probably better placed to give a view on it.

It has been changed recently, so be careful that anyone making recommendations are talking about the right stuff.

theartist

Reaction score
I've still got an inkling that the older floatfish was stronger but have used the new 3.2lb for winter barbel this year and that went well. The old 4.4lb took some breaking and will beat good barbel in summer although i've found it doesn't ride creases and boils nearly as well as the 3.2. As the new line is slightly thinner that issue may be addressed but as I have a stockpile of old 4.4 i'll be using that this summer too.

dicky123

Reaction score
I'd dearly love to go as low as 4.4lb but the Trent has just too many snags. I'm happy losing a hook link but not the main line.

I'll try 5lb for a while and see how it works, I'll still have a weaker bottom.

Thanks all.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I've never quite understood the notion that snaggy waters need heavier line?
In the interest of fish welfare, if a line snags up, I'd want to give them a better chance of escaping getting tethered by using lighter line?

Philip

Reaction score
In the interest of fish welfare, if a line snags up, I'd want to give them a better chance of escaping getting tethered by using lighter line?

I cant agree with that.

Better to use a strong enough line to ensure they dont get you into a snag and lost on the first place.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

It's not just snags Peter, the rivers I fish are very rocky, they're strewn with boulders sticking out the waters surface with lots more not visible below the surface and to light a line will part as soon as it touches one, especially when pulled taught.
That's one reason I use sensor straight through in 6lb, it's quite abrasive resistant plus it floats like a piece of polystyrene ;).

theartist

Reaction score
If it's a snaggy swim barbel will snap you up just as much on 8lb as they would 4.4lb Sounds strange but I've had this experience many times on different rivers when fishing the same swim as someone had previously. A retrospective chat about our fortunes has revealed that the ratio of lost fish to landed is similar and often the lighter line has come out on top. My penchant for lighter lines stems from liking the variety of catching chub and big roach as well as the barbel, big roach have a habit of being in barbel swims and are good fighters in fast water.

Even if solely after barbel in summer i'd still go 4.4lb straight through. The higher the bs the more uncomfortable the whole float fishing experience is for me with the way I fish. I still read books and articles which say you can't catch these fish on float or light line, something I believed as a youngster for far too long.:eek:mg:

There are a few tricks to help avoid lost fish the best one being about the shot, if you use split shot put them on the line as soft as possible, the amount of times you will bring in a fish where they have all pinged off or slid up the line ten feet with the float will indicate how often the line brushes against snags. Many other tips and tricks you can learn especially if you are lucky enough to be able to view these fish in clear water, we think about what we are doing far to much as apposed to what's going on down there.

The best advice though would be not to worry about losing fish, it isn't the be all and end all when your float fishing as there will soon be another one on you can battle with. It's not like sitting it out for big carp where losing a fish could result in a blank. Enjoy it sometimes the fish win, take it on the chin, often by being a bit cuter next time round you can work out what's going on under the water to your advantage.

dicky123

Reaction score
Peter.

Think you missed a bit. Using a lower strain tippet. I'd would never put a fish in danger.

It's funny but on the Trent snags just pop up especially after floods. You cannot see the bottom on most of it. Fishing a new swim, rather than the same old all the time brings its own problems as you just don't know about. I'd rather play safe, fish a stronger main line, and a weaker tippet. It's always been my way, and seems 90% of match anglers agree too. But each to their own.

****y.

---------- Post added at 03:50 ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 ----------

Jon.

The last paragraph I really liked. I too believe that fishing should give the fish a fair chance. It's why I still fish for carp with a float.

But on the beat I have open to me barbel go to 17lb +. I've never caught a fish of that size but 'hopes springs right?'

I don't agree with you about a fish breaking you just as easy on 8lb a 4lb on that we will just have to disagree to differ.

I'm just wondering what size tippet I'd use if stepping down to 4.4lb mainline? That is normally my default tippet size? Something to think about anyway.

Jon what is the diameter of 4.4lb in your chosen main line?

****y.

trotter2

Reaction score
If you like the old stuff so much just use Bayer same stuff

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it's a snaggy swim barbel will snap you up just as much on 8lb as they would 4.4lb Sounds strange but I've had this experience many times on different rivers when fishing the same swim as someone had previously. A retrospective chat about our fortunes has revealed that the ratio of lost fish to landed is similar and often the lighter line has come out on top. My penchant for lighter lines stems from liking the variety of catching chub and big roach as well as the barbel, big roach have a habit of being in barbel swims and are good fighters in fast water.

Even if solely after barbel in summer i'd still go 4.4lb straight through. The higher the bs the more uncomfortable the whole float fishing experience is for me with the way I fish. I still read books and articles which say you can't catch these fish on float or light line, something I believed as a youngster for far too long.:eek:mg:

There are a few tricks to help avoid lost fish the best one being about the shot, if you use split shot put them on the line as soft as possible, the amount of times you will bring in a fish where they have all pinged off or slid up the line ten feet with the float will indicate how often the line brushes against snags. Many other tips and tricks you can learn especially if you are lucky enough to be able to view these fish in clear water, we think about what we are doing far to much as apposed to what's going on down there.

The best advice though would be not to worry about losing fish, it isn't the be all and end all when your float fishing as there will soon be another one on you can battle with. It's not like sitting it out for big carp where losing a fish could result in a blank. Enjoy it sometimes the fish win, take it on the chin, often by being a bit cuter next time round you can work out what's going on under the water to your advantage.

Obviously your set up works for you in the rivers you fish and it would in "some" swims where I fish. I often use 4lb sensor straight through and sometimes add a low diameter bottom of 3lb if things arn't happening, however I know where I can do this and land the fish.
For the biggest part using 4lb line or less would see me being snapped, either by my line catching on a rock or snag or the sheer pressure of trying to stop a barbel from getting into a snag.
I think your rivers are a world apart from the ones where I fish......

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
****y, I think your referring to my post and whilst I've been called worse i'm not Jon i'll try best I can to answer but like you say it's there to be disagreed with as were all fishing slightly different styles with different gear etc.

Re the diameter That's something I pay little attention too, half the time it's made up and the rest of the time it's of little concern. The way the bait falls is the main thing and if the line is supple enough for a natural fall of the bait that's all that matters to me. I'll go lighter in winter but that is due to the extra water and gaining more control and presentation

Re the hooklength/ straight through/ breaking strain issues then Simon is right when he says that light line can be just as fish friendly, 4lb straight through has much less strength than say 6lb with 5lb hooklength. Without the bend of the rod, the clutch and backwinding the line is relatively weak so i'd be comfortable any line that's snagged will take little effort to break.

Having caught barbel over 15lb on the 3.2lb I can assure you it can be done with a bit of patience. Funny enough when I fish the 3.2 i'll always have a hooklength around 2.12-3lb yet i'll fish the 4.4lb straight through as to me that's heavy. Hit and hold style fishing isn't my bag.

Big barbel tend to be lumps and often don't test the gear as much as some of the 'smaller' ones. If you can land 7lb fish regularly then you can get the larger ones.

Fishing light isn't for everyone and sometimes there's more coaxing than playing with fish that have got the upper hand but it's something that can buy you fish when others aren't catching. Best bet would be to see how light you can get away with feeling comfortable with in the swim your in. If you do lose a fish try thinking what else you could have done better before stepping up the bs

Hope this helps
Rob

---------- Post added at 04:40 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Obviously your set up works for you in the rivers you fish and it would in "some" swims where I fish. I often use 4lb sensor straight through and sometimes add a low diameter bottom of 3lb if things arn't happening, however I know where I can do this and land the fish.
For the biggest part using 4lb line or less would see me being snapped, either by my line catching on a rock or snag or the sheer pressure of trying to stop a barbel from getting into a snag.
I think your rivers are a world apart from the ones where I fish......

I fish all around the country, the Severn and Wye have the odd boulder or two. I don't trot 100 yards which may help my case;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fish all around the country, the Severn and Wye have the odd boulder or two. I don't trot 100 yards which may help my case;)

I only trot a hundred yards where I can and when it's worth doing it which isn't in every swim.....the light/conditions has to be right to see the float at those ranges also ;).
I know of swims where if you took your time and persuaded the fish out patiently you'd most likely land them easy enough on pound bottoms but I also know far more productive swims where your 4lb line would be broken by a 3lb barbel as it bolts for the fallen tree you've been trotting along side of and you can't give any line at all...hit and hold. I like these type of swims as it's more exciting :cool:.
Your welcome to come up here and show me how it's done ;).

iain t

Reaction score
I've used the old stuff and the new stuff and except for the colour, i can find no difference in the quality. Never tested the breaking strain myself but am sure ive read somewhere that it breaks a little over the stated strength.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm let me think....Na you're all right mate wouldn't want to snag up on those rocks :wh

You don't get snagged on 'em, they cut you off if your line comes into contact with them, usually when it's taught.

Your not embarrassed of that apron are you ;) :D.