Float Fishing Reel

nottskev

Reaction score
Line bedding is one of those things I've heard of but hardly ever experienced, and that was on the very narrow spools on an old Abu cf. It's never been an issue with backed-up deep spools or shallow ones. I put it down to the excellent line lay and long spools on Shimano's. I'm fussy about filling spools, and I have spools backed to be just right with 100m of 2, 3,4lb or whatever. The backing is wound on under enough pressure to make a firm bed. Some, I've taped over the backing, some not.

I prefer reels to come with a mix of deep and shallow spools. A comparatively high-spec Shimano, a Twinpower xtr 3000 with lots of bearings that I bought at a big discount came with 3 match spools. The reel is heavy and over-powered for 2-3lb lines, but the spools take very little 6 or 8lb line, so I have to match the grey/silver reel with black spools off another model. The deeper spools give me the option.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Kev above I have never had a problem with line bedding on a reel but then I also use a thicker backing line and then tape over it, using a plastic insulation tape, before putting my main line on, and again, only about 100m. I've had chub over 6lbs and still never exprenced line bedding.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would then seek advice from someone like Sam Vines as he seems to know a lot about current reels on the market.

I'm of little help. The last fixed spool reel I bought was well over a year ago (and it was never officially a UK reel). Only one reel I own is still a current model (it possibly wouldn't be if the pandemic hadn't happened). I've not even picked a reel up in a tackle shop for the best part of two years.

Keith M

Reaction score
For the cost of line just fill the spool.
I would have no problems with filling the spool in one go but Drennan Floatfish only comes on 100 mtr spools which are usually separated when on display in the tackleshop Mike, and even Dave Harrel lines only come with 300 mtr spools; so unless you have line reducers for your spool (and not many do); on the average deep spool you would need a lot of 2 or 3lb line to fill it up.

Someone who’s just bought his or her first new reel won’t be likely to have any old line hanging around to use as a backing line either; or any suitable fine string; so a reel that is designed to be used with floats and will hold just 100mtrs or so of finer 2lb or 3lb line or have some line reducers would surely be an advantage..

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The Stradic 2500/4000 C14 ra have spool reducers and are excellent reels. Bulk spools of Maxima(2.5lb 1200 yards) are also available.

nottskev

Reaction score
One reason for using backing plus whichever line on top is when you replace the line - and I do this frequently on light lines - you only replace the top 100m, not the other mile underneath which never sees daylight, and you know how much to strip off to make the new 100m fill the spool perfectly. Line may be (relatively) cheap, but why waste a deep spool's worth every time you change it?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I can't honestly say I've ever had a problem with line bedding in on any sort of reel...ever, even fine lines. That said the sort of fishing I mostly do now doesn't involve fine lines much so its even less of an issue...I just fill the spools. However...occasionally I have to put some new line on a reel and once I've stripped off as much as I need to I'll cover any joining knot with insulating tape like PJ. My reels may well hold 250-300m of line but its only the first 50-60 that really gets used and once it goes a bit crinkly I trash it and put new stuff on.

Some lines I've become fond of might get replaced each year, certainly finer ones, but others go years without getting replaced. My carp and zander reels eg are spooled up with Pro Gold and it must have been on 7-8 years now...possibly more. Still good but its 10 or 12 lb bs.

rich66

Reaction score
Daiwa ninja is a nice reel I have 3012a match version, but can’t say the spool looks much shallower than a standard one.
As for tangling behind the spool, I’ve found it can be prone on occasions but I believe it maybe down to the line I use .. Daiwa sensor I’ve recently changed to Drennan float on my 3lb spool and I can’t recall it happening since. But I still get it on the one loaded 6lb sensor spool.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Here's a few reels to consider:

The Okuma Ceymar reels are a lot of reel for the money. I've a Ceymar CBF baitrunner & it's a little cracker:

Here are the shallow extra spools for the Daiwa Fuego LT & Exceler LT (Make sure you read the Applicable Model Chart Picture!)
I bought the SLP spools for my Fuego LT 3000 & they make the reel lighter! Spools are high quality too:

Last edited: