Floating carp pellets

@Clive

Reaction score
A strike indicator as used in trout fishing can be useful. Basically they are tiny floats.

nottskev

Reaction score
A strike indicator as used in trout fishing can be useful. Basically they are tiny floats.

You're right, Clive. These cheap little Chinese foam floats - plenty on ebay - are handy. They're no substitute for proper floats, but if you're after fewer bigger fish they can be used to add a visual indicator to any light leger or freeline rig fished not too far out. I was using one to catch carp across a canal the other evening in conjunction with a swan-shot leger; it's nicer looking out at a float than down at your rod end.

It's a bonus that you don't need to tackle down to add or remove one. Put the line in the groove, stretch the rubber tube and slot it in the groove and it expands and grips.

It's an easier albeit clunkier version of using an inch or two of peacock fished flat. These are more subtle, but it can be fiddly to get the float rubbers on. I've always got a few of each in the box.

Fbi.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
I used to fish a notts lake years ago where the carp had seen it all before,
It was about 11 foot deep with the ubiquitus island in its centre, the going was generally difficult using bottom baits as I suspected it was covered in large amounts of uneaten boillies, lunchean meat and any other bait thrown at the residents.
I began to use the simple approach like keith mentioned but with a BIG lobworm that was injected with air on the end of an 8foot hooklink to a two ounce lead.
Carp were very attracted to the lobs movements and some days I could take three or four double figure fish with the setup.
It should'nt be too difficult to set a lobworm just below the surface in some 5 foot of water.
It could be one way of overcoming the recantly imposed ban on surface baits.