Flourocarbon reliability ?

A

Alan Degville

Dave ,could you let me how you tie the flouro to thepower gum ,is any power gum ok or do you have a particular favorite,
Cheer`s Alan Degville

A

Andy Thatcher

How about a joint action ? I've got the hump and at least 3 of you guys have !

P

Paul Williams

I have been messing about with 8lb Wychwood Fluoro and 12lb invisiline this morning....i have tied up hooklinks with both and tested them by holding the hook with a Roberts puller and holding the swivel at the other end......hardly rocket science i know but it gives some feeling about the rig.
The result is that there is NO way i can use either and feel confident with my set-up, both of the broke easily at the knotless knot, the invisiiline fared better but once it had been pulled once (eg trying to stop say a barbel reaching a snag?) it broke very easily the second pull.
Those of you who can get on with it....i have a couple of nearly full spools make me an offer.....but no refunds if that 15lb barb or 40lb carp snaps it :eek:)

A

Andy Thatcher

I might think about Flouro for a stiff rig material in say 40lb test for carp on a snag free lake but I bought it with barbel in mind and I am not going to go anywhere a river with it !

P

Pat Groves

Paul have you had a go with a grinner for the hook knot?
I needle knot a light hair on the hook before tying the
grinner.

D

Dave Johnson

powergum link the fly line loop to loop to the leader-any more than 20cms hampers turnover, but it does offer absorbtion somewhat

D

Dave Johnson

sorry Alan, I am using Drennan 14lb-the red stuff-good sight indicator as well

P

Paul Williams

Pat,
To be honest, i did but only quickly, but i did find that What Rob said earlier in the thread is true.....once it has been to the limit of it's stretch it doesn't go back and there is then no room for errors, i'm sure others will get on with it some way but for me there are better lines on the market to use for hooklengths, i like it simple and trustworthy!......besides i don't believe it is invisible in water especially those that have a lot of suspended matter.

A

Andy Thatcher

I'd recommend swearing at them rather than fishing with them !

J

Jake Lewis

Yes Andy,there always seems to be a lot of swearing involved when I use fluorocarbons.Strange that.

R

Rob Brownfield

Jake, sorry to say this, but a lot of people who seem to swear by stuff have never actually used it! They read it in a mag and therefore it must be true!

As for being invisable...well...I have dropped the stuff in my fishtanks and I can certainly see it. So can my fish as they either try and nibble it, or they swim to the other end of the tank! The only line they seem to be unaware of is 8 pound Berkley XL

J

Jake Lewis

Wonder of wonders!
I think I may have found a fluorocarbon which is reliable!!!
The new Frank Warwick range of bits from Gardner tackle includes a fluoro that is manufactured in a different way to others.
To cut a long story short, I was given a spool to sample, gave it a try on a three day session, caught 10 carp to 18lb, mostly hit and hold in snags, and it didn't fail me once. The knot strength was excellent and in general I couldn't fault it.
As a result of this short trial I would say that it is far superior to any other fluorocarbon that I'm aware of.(I was using the 15lb supple version. There is a stiff rig version as well, I think.) So anyone who feels they need to use a fluorocarbon should give this a try. I think it's a winner, and anyone who has read any of my previous posts on this subject will know that it would take a lot to convince me to use a fluoro at all.
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it and to hear what they think.

Cheers, Jake.

A

Andy Thatcher

I saw this advertised in Carpworld. Hasn't it got 2 way construction or something ?

I do not think I am going to try flouro again as I have found a product I am very happy with.

Oh better tell you I s'pose. Super Mantis. If you use braided hooklengths give this a go.

Anyone want some Snakebite ? Cheap ???

Cheers
Andy