Follow up from Richard’s trip to Ireland

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
This is just a short follow up note on my recent trip to Lough Corrib in Ireland with Keith Elliott Editor of Classic Angling. This was very much a fishing trip but we still stirred some interest amongst tackle sellers in Ireland. Nothing purchased but we are negotiating on two large collections and are hoping these will be purchased shortly by remote buying. Our recent large purchase of unused Hardy rods and reels in Belfast was packed by professional shippers at the seller’s home and delivered to our door. Anything is possible!

RH with brown trout

Richards catch!

What I am pleased to report on is the sheer joy of fishing on Lough Corrib with a great friend and simply taking in the aura of the place and reflecting on the heritage and all that comes with that. Our wives enjoyed the sunshine back at Carrereva House but unfortunately the trout were not enamoured in the same way. The sunshine was too much to tempt them to the surface but we did catch and one was a real beauty of a wild brownie of 3lb 12 ounces a large fish by dapping standards. The ferox are a different matter.

Keith Elliott dapping

Keith Elliott dapping

One factor that stirs the emotions is that during the mayfly hatch local schoolchildren are allowed to delay their arrival at school to sell mayflies to fisherman from the front of their homes. 5 euros and you have enough for a morning’s dapping.

As I say, a short note but for those interested in dapping why not try this on your local trout water or even for coarse fish such as rudd. You can use a long float rod and decent centre pin. Add some floss to your ‘leader’ and as long as there is a breeze you are in business.

Or you could treat yourself to a dapping rod of distinction made by Arthur Allen of Glasgow. See

https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/arthur-allan-146-3-pce-bamboo-fibreglass-dapping-rod-with-bag/

Arthur Allan bamboo dapper rod

Having revived my fishing bug I am off to the Hampshire Avon today being the first day of the coarse fish river fishing season to try for a barbel and to test some of our prototype rods we have in our TTClassic+ range. I will let you know how I get on!

The post Follow up from Richard’s trip to Ireland appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...