Fox Barbel Xtreme 13ft Float

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Does any one else have this rod and are they experiencing the problem that I will outline below.

I have used the rod three times now and every time I have used it I am having a problem where it is "slaughtering" the line.
The problem is first apparent when youare just setting the rod up and running the line through the eyes. I hve the ratchet on the centrepin switched on so to provide a slight tension and to stop the reel spinning into a birds nest and even the very slightest friction of the line running against the ring liners is kinking the line really badly.
Once the rod is in use, the line seems to make a horrible noiser coming through the rings when retrieving even with just the weight if a 3-4 AAA float on. After a few hours fishing, on close inspection, the line is as rough as a bears bum, really chaffed as if it had been run through sandpaper, when in fact the only contact it has had is with water and the inside of the rod rings, no snags or the bottom. Infact the hole length of the line that has passed frfrom the reel to just above the float is affect, i.e. all of it that has passed through the rod rings.
The line that I have been using is Drennan Floatfish 6lb and I have now respooled the reel three times with new line and this damage has occurred every time, pretty much as soon as you start to set the rod up.
I have checked extremely thoroughly for cracks or damage of the ring linings with a magnifier and they seem to be perfectly intact with no grooves cracks or other damage.

The problem cannot be the reel as I am using a centre pin and the only point of friction is the rod rings and each time, the line has been brand new and in perfect condion (before it goes through the rings.

I would like the rod for its action and the actual spacing and amount of ringson it but as you can understand, I dont think I would get much more than a days fishing out of any lint that goes through it, not to mention loosing fish on the line that the rod severely damages.

Any answers greatfully appreciated, especially if anyone has the same rod.

John

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You do have a crack in one of the rings John. These are extremely difficult to see but it is there make no mistake.

Try running the line through each ring in turn at an angle of 90 degrees and you should pick it up. Then replace it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got to agree with Ron - bloody hell - that's the first time this year and I hate that :)

Sounds to me like you have a hair line crack in one of the rings.

Drennan float fish (like all Drennan products) is well Quality controlled, so i don't think it sounds like a line problem.

Borrow Ron's jew(eller's) loop and check for hair line cracks.