France, big pike capture

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I found this story in the french fishing press......

A 131.5 cm pike caught in France, in the heart of a storm​

The photo has already been published in the Belles Prizes section of La Pêche et les Poissons magazine for January 2024. But this 131.5 cm pike captured by Mathieu Girard deserved our attention. It's not every day that a giant like this comes out in France, and what's more in the middle of a storm! It falls into the category of exceptional fish.
At the beginning of November, storm Ciaran hit France. Bad luck, Mathieu Girard and his dad Yann had chosen to organize a week of fishing with friends on the Aigle dam, on the border of Cantal and Corrèze. “We were alone on the lake, soaked ,” says Mathieu. We still went out every day but the fishing was difficult. » With Gaétan, Enndy and Kevin, in six days of fishing, on a lake she did not know, the small troop will total eleven pike and five chain zander.

Euphoria

On Thursday, November 2, after bailing out the two boats, under downpours of water, no one lost hope. “It was 4:25 p.m., we didn't expect it, but I felt the typical bite and the teeth rubbing on the leader ,” reports Mathieu. The young student (a BTS in water management and control in Nevers) had chosen to return to an area where, with his Side-Imaging, he had spotted some big echoes during the week and had had a few hits. At 18, Mathieu Girard already had three meters under his belt and has already fished many lakes in France. An experience that paid off on the Aigle dam! “We had a small landing net, but thanks to Kevin’s dexterity, it came in ,” smiles Mathieu. It all came down to the mind. I waved to my father who joined us. It was euphoria on the boats. The best part is that we were able to share this together. The locals had never seen this, they were amazed. We met a fishing guide at the launch, he couldn't believe it. »

image (2).png

“Depression = big fish,” the dad, Yann, told us when we first made contact. He himself captured a 97 cm zander during this holiday week! And the same week, Mathieu learned on social networks that a 131 cm pike was caught on Lake Geneva: “But it was finer, I think mine exceeded 15 kg, I even estimate it at 17 kg. He was perfect. He left in one go, the water was not very hot, 12 degrees. With the Livescope in the second boat, we even saw it set off again. It was truly a great fishing moment and, if I may say so, the fulfillment of a fishing life. » We can already predict that there will be people on the Eagle during the next storm!

The Eagle Dam

Located on the Dordogne river, the Aigle dam has an area of 750 hectares. Fishing is managed by the AAPPMAs of Lapleau and Neuvic. The Corrèze fishing federation reports that a pike measuring 137 cm and weighing 20 kg has already been caught there. One of the two architects of the dam, completed in 1945, had the last name… Brochet!

Philip

Reaction score
What a lovely fish. Glad to see he put it back.

I do miss my Pike fishing, I have all but given up Piking in France. Even a low double is seen as a prize capture & once you have been used to UK piking its hard to stay interested in jacks and singles.

Bigger fish of course do exist but its not easy to track them down & there is always the constant nagging doubt that even if you know about a big fish, its been knocked on the head & taken for the table.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
What a lovely fish. Glad to see he put it back.

I do miss my Pike fishing, I have all but given up Piking in France. Even a low double is seen as a prize capture & once you have been used to UK piking its hard to stay interested in jacks and singles.

Bigger fish of course do exist but its not easy to track them down & there is always the constant nagging doubt that even if you know about a big fish, its been knocked on the head & taken for the table.
I have yet to see a decent pike from the river Lot! It's famous here for the predator fishing and I see more fishing for pike than for anything else.

In this area of France it's not quite so usual for pike to be killed, the younger generation of anglers is being taught better. But you really do not have to kill many apex predators to drive the average size down, big pike are not difficult to catch!

Some waters do stock pike to make up for those kept for eating. But in those waters I bet the bigger pike are long gone! :unsure:

@Clive

Reaction score
That is a fantastic pike and well earned.

In this area lure fishing is probably the most popular type of river fishing, but I rarely encounter an angler who has caught anything. Not surprising really as they tend to fish the same places using the same types of lures day after day. The predators must have seen every lure in the Decathlon and Pacific Peche catalogues over and over again. These days I only dead bait for them and only in areas where the lure fishers haven't hammered. Even so I haven't had a double, or near double. Plenty of unwanted silure though.