Giving it another try!

MightyScouse

Reaction score
Morning Everyone,
So am 42 from Liverpool,
Used to (TRY TO) fish my local lakes in Liverpool when i was younger,
Tried to get back into it about 5 years ago and Bought Carp gear to give it a go, Only got out twice, My eldest boy (12) has asked me to take him, so have booked a 24hour with him and my cousin (who is is a keen fisherman) on Hampton Springs in the middle of August! I have purchased him a Little elasticated whip for him to target the silvers!
Am thinking of taking him out to the Leeds/Liverpool canal over the weekend, am just wondering if anyone can recommend a place where he has a chance to catch something? I know the canal can be tough but just want him to get the feel of the whip!
Thank you in Advance

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As it’s out of my area I can’t help I’m afraid but I’m sure someone can even if it’s someone actually on the bank.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Morning Everyone,
So am 42 from Liverpool,
Used to (TRY TO) fish my local lakes in Liverpool when i was younger,
Tried to get back into it about 5 years ago and Bought Carp gear to give it a go, Only got out twice, My eldest boy (12) has asked me to take him, so have booked a 24hour with him and my cousin (who is is a keen fisherman) on Hampton Springs in the middle of August! I have purchased him a Little elasticated whip for him to target the silvers!
Am thinking of taking him out to the Leeds/Liverpool canal over the weekend, am just wondering if anyone can recommend a place where he has a chance to catch something? I know the canal can be tough but just want him to get the feel of the whip!
Thank you in Advance
Phone Taskers Angling up in Liverpool , they will put you right , also tell you where is day ticket on the canal .
The Running Horse stretch at Lydiate can be good . Depends on how far you wish to travel .

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I used to live near to Hampton Springs - one of the nicest parts of Cheshire in my biased opinion, but I never fished there.

If I were you I wait until mid-August and 'initiate' your lad there, where the fish should be more abundant, rather than risking a blank on a canal and putting him off for good.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If you go to Hampton springs either go on the first one you come to on the left and fish next to the elderberry bushes on the roadside of the pool
If you go on long Island cast across to the island either at the point of the island or go on the side where you would be facing the way out of the complex , Alice Springs is good .
Take plenty of sweetcorn , not long ago 8 tins were required from the start then top up regularly . I think it's fishery feed pellets only , and use your own hookers . Maggots will work for the silvers .

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

As has already been said, the lads at Tasker's in Aintree are very helpful. L&DAA have the fishing rights to the Leeds-Liverpool from just outside the city centre for about 20 miles out to the Saracen's Head at Halsall. If you are just targeting Roach, Skimmers Etc. maggots, caster or bread punch should work on most stretches. You can purchase day tickets directly on the L&DAA website but more long term, it's probably taking out full membership as there are several affiliation stretches on the Shroppie and the Weaver Navigation that you would then have access to.

MightyScouse

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I used to live near to Hampton Springs - one of the nicest parts of Cheshire in my biased opinion, but I never fished there.

If I were you I wait until mid-August and 'initiate' your lad there, where the fish should be more abundant, rather than risking a blank on a canal and putting him off for good.
Going a week on Saturday so hopefully we will do well

MightyScouse

Reaction score

Going a week on Saturday so hopefully will
Same question just been asked on Maggotdrowners by the same person ( new member on there as well)
sorry mate, I totally forgot I had asked the question here.
Thanks for reminding me!
Feel like Iv been shouted at for asking for help to get my boy into the hobby!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Going a week on Saturday so hopefully will

sorry mate, I totally forgot I had asked the question here.
Thanks for reminding me!
Feel like Iv been shouted at for asking for help to get my boy into the hobby!
Take plenty of corn . Rock has an island as such in it , get on the channel between the island and the bank .
Or looking at it with your back to the entrance to Hampton springs , try either end , the left end can produce some good fish .

MightyScouse

Reaction score
Take plenty of corn . Rock has an island as such in it , get on the channel between the island and the bank .
Or looking at it with your back to the entrance to Hampton springs , try either end , the left end can produce some good fish .
Thanks for the advice mate, weathers looking good too

MightyScouse

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. It's just that sometimes new people come on these forums, ask a question, get lots of replies and we never hear from them again. Good to know you're still around!
Thanks mate, really looking forward to it, hopefully my lad enjoys it and it’s something we can do together

MightyScouse

Reaction score
Soooo i totally forgot about updating you lot on my visit to Hampton Springs,
What i can i say, other than its was an amazing 24hours from start to finish,
Such a lovely well run fishery,
We set out just after 5am, stopped at a little Petrol Station not far from the fishery and got the most amazing Bacon Barm 🥲.
There was 3 Adults and 2 Kids, When we arrived we booked in and was straight to the Lake (Rock Pool), We where the only ones on it so we had the pick of the lake, we all set up and got settled down, Got my lad set up on his Whip with a single Red Maggot, Within seconds, Dad, Dad, Dad he was awarded with a small Roach for his very 1st Fish IMG_2208.jpgroach.jpg
Then a small Perch, all this before i had even taken out my Rods perch.jpg
the day continued like that for all 5 of us, I didn't get a chance to relax,
As my boy did not want to touch the maggots or Fish haha!
That my friends, is how the next 24 hours continued for all 5 of us!3db3bb7c-95ba-4693-8084-047ffdd9804a.JPG5a16eec1-a0ca-44e7-bb96-191433251b8c.JPG082076a0-338a-4033-a3ea-778f28755308.JPGIMG_2280.jpgIMG_2257.jpgIMG_2227.jpgIMG_2225.jpg
These are just a few of what me and my boy caught, Overall between the 5 of us we Caught 100+ Mixed fish, It was that constant we were all so tired so pulled our rods in around 11pm as none of us could get to sleep because of the constant bleeps, So we settled for the night, I could not sleep, so got back up around 4:30am
430.jpg
Within Minutes of the the bait hitting the water i was awarded with a lovely fish
420.jpg
It was an amazing 24hours, Already trying to arrange another outing!!!

Attachments

• 323196e6-c68a-40f2-862d-c19c585d8417.JPG
    323196e6-c68a-40f2-862d-c19c585d8417.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 37981312-17d4-41cd-bc99-f29b840063c6.JPG
    37981312-17d4-41cd-bc99-f29b840063c6.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 29

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Sounds like a brilliant time was had .
Long Island pool is good as well.
There is another fishery near Cheshire Oaks outlet village that is called Cheshire oaks .
That is another good venue .