Great to be back...

Aknib

Reaction score
Had my first session since New Year's Day today and I got into bother with the missus back then!

Anyway, it has slipped my mind to tell her that i'm currently enjoying a fortnight's holiday from work (we both have our own places and it's staying that way!) which was rather forgetful of me but ah well never mind, ignorance is bliss.

Started out from a mid-river gravel island at just gone 4am this morning and it felt good, in fact it felt great.

Good start to things too with eight Barbel taken on a combination of float and lead depending on the swim and how I felt at the time, I fished two swims with the second being a complete tackle muncher and a complete animal of a piece of water but it did account for the largest fish of the morning. I didn't weigh any but i'm pretty sure I bagged my first double of the season too with a few chunky ones for backup...

B2.JPG

B3.JPG

Back home just after 11am after getting a call from 'er indoors asking if I'd take her to see a pup which she's now bought, had to leave time to change into my work clothes before picking her up :cool:

I'm pretty sure even 007 never had to go to these lengths!

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I prefer cork,but it's more a pleasure for me than it making any difference fishing wise,Cadence rods have a small amount of cork but as a fishing rod they are great,for me sliding reel fitting are a pain in the butt,and on other rods have had them changed,Mark Wintle changes his reel seats,puts an odd looking Cork 'snood' over the screw fitting saying they are more comfortable,but making the handle fatter makes it more uncomfortable to me,it's that personal preference thingy again,lol.

The fishing or the missus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 'other' Ray...

Aknib

Reaction score
It's still going pretty well fellas, enjoyed a busy morning earlier on the river during my second week off and my second session of the break...

BTD.JPG

I'd taken the lighter gear, namely the Specimen float rod that is maximum rated to 8lb mainline which I used to 6.4 flourocarbon hooklink to run a piece of sweetcorn through on a size 14 hook.

I thought i'd get amongst a few fish which I did, namely a Chublet, a Roach and six Barbel but I wasn't really expecting this...

BTD2.JPG

13lb 6ozs... Deep, broad, long and a lovely pristine specimen.

And a pretty knackered net!

I obviously knew it was a very good fish but I must admit my knees knocked together a little considering the lighter trotting gear when I got first sight of it and long before the fish was safely in the net, it was in a powerful flow too and the only way I was ever going to land it was to kid it upriver and draw it back down to the net with the flow, there was no way I would've hoisted that in from downriver and luckily everything went to plan.

I believe Mike will recall the swim very well indeed :)

Aknib

Reaction score
It seems a long time ago Steve .

Cheers fellas.

Mike it certainly does seem a long time ago... Must 5 years or thereabouts as i've been a greenkeeper for five years in September and I recall sitting behind you and taking an order from a customer over the phone back when I was doing the old job?