GT Charge Worked! Line Broke After Hitting The Live Crab!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
Was Pier Fishing & The GT Broke The Line Doubling Back!

This was a few years back pier fishing in Hawaii. I was using a Penn Battalion Rod with a Penn Fierce Reel spooled with PowerPro Braid. The Ulua (local term for a GT) hit a live Blue Pincher Crab bait at 1:15pm during a very high rising tide. This went on for almost 3min as the GT kept swimming away from me going left to right. Finally it charged the pier & i could see the back of the fish pass below me under the pier.

This resulted in the line snapping. My gut feeling is this fish was caught before. It knew to charge the pier so the line could get worked around a few pier pillars & snap. Was an interesting day as my partner Alric Kutara had a good sized Ray take his Live Crab as well but the Ray caused the hook to pull out after it swam into the mangroves along the shoreline.

Made another believer that using live crab works as an available bait.

Attachments

• Cover-GT Charge.png
    Cover-GT Charge.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

flightliner

Reaction score
Sad to see the end result Scuba, it must have been a big fish to tow you around like that.
I hav'nt done much sea fishing like you, just the odd few days out on the north sea off the east coast of of the british isles cod fishing and the odd time holidaying on the south coast for a few Mackerel.
Hope you get another chance at the one you lost!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
Sad to see the end result Scuba, it must have been a big fish to tow you around like that.
I hav'nt done much sea fishing like you, just the odd few days out on the north sea off the east coast of of the british isles cod fishing and the odd time holidaying on the south coast for a few Mackerel.
Hope you get another chance at the one you lost!
Thank you! I like this place. Trully an inland sea. Very massive in size!