Had a 20 year break please recommend a good rod and reel.

Kingwoz

Reaction score
Hello good people. I have been away from course fishing for a good two decades and sadly all my tackle was stolen years back. I’m looking for a good all round float rod with reel for my local fishery which contains Carp up to 20lb and good size Tench. Budget of around £200 (flexible) for rod and reel if possible. I honestly can’t wait to get back into nature and fishing it’s been too long. Any advice welcome.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Your water may say carp up to 20lb , but how many are there in there ,? You will normally find not many ,the average size being between 4lb to say 12lb .
I am only saying this because a club I was in had a water that stated on the website " Bream up to 7lb"
That was true , there was one . All the rest were skimmers and the odd two to three pound bream .
I would say get a decent power waggler rod and a reel with decent winding power . Have a look at the PI Centris reels , as for rods the main brands such as PI , Maver, Daiwa all do rods that will suit . And both in your budget .
These would be my choices ,
Others on here will give you theirs .
It's like saying how long is a piece of string .

Keith M

Reaction score
You could do a lot worse than with one of the Drennan float rods (https://www.drennantackle.com/) but If you chose to get a Drennan Acolyte then get the ‘Plus’ version as the ‘Ultra’ version is a bit fine and for mainly smaller fish; however the ‘Plus’ version will handle bigger fish as well as small silvers.

Reels are a personal preference and a lot of anglers will recommend a Diawa Ninja however some anglers like myself much prefer a reel with a wider diameter spool than a ninja has; such as a Shimano-Aero-4000FA (see pic below) which has a much wider diameter spool together with a small body and subsequently produces fewer coils in your line than compact diameter spools do; and because the line peels off the spool a little easier it makes casting light wagglers a little easier meaning that you can also cast them a bit further and with less effort.

However the Ninja is still a good reel there’s no doubt about that. Basically it’s just a personal choice.

Unfortunately this reel is no longer sold but one of its successors might suit.

Keith

Last edited:

Kingwoz

Reaction score
Thanks guys, some great suggestions. Drennan Acolyte plus float with the reel you linked in picture looks fantastic.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I've got one of these Zebco Rods which has a lovely action from Silvers to Tench Fishing.
Zebco Rhino Premium DF Special Heavy Match 3.90M 13ft Rod (DF - Dura Fibre) Lifetime Guarantee & the Rod will not Break or Lock Up!
CW 10-30g | Year 2007 | Wgt 265g | RRP £82

These are meant to be quality Shimano Reels too.

Best of luck with whatever you buy and tightlines!

Richard Bartlett

Reaction score
Another thumbs-up for the Drennan Acolyte Plus. I've been using my 15' job for around 3 years, mostly for tench which on my water average around 5.5lb, although I've had fish to 7.5. The Accy has coped admirably with them. I've also had by-catches of carp (to 16.5lb) & whilst I'm never going to be able to bully fish of that size with the Accy, it has coped well, albeit helped by a lot of patience & a decent dollop of experience!
I've also used the rod for chucking big sliders some distance in search of silvers & it is absolutely perfect for that. That said, I'd use a slightly lighter rod for general waggler-type fishing for silvers though.

mikench

Reaction score
Another vote for the Acolyte plus(13’) plus a suitable reel. You will have to go second hand but a Shimano Stradic C14 ra 2500 or 4000 would be perfect. I like the look of the PI Centris 3020 but above your budget. An older Shimano Aero 3010 or 4010 would also suit. I have them all but the Centris.

rob48

Reaction score
On a budget of £200 for rod and reel brand new you won't better Cadence.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I only have cadence reels but in the basis of their quality, would not hesitate to buy one of their rods. A 12 ft #2 and the best of their reels you can afford would be my choice if in your shoes.

john step

Reaction score
You dont have to go up to an Acolyte. Have a look at the Drennan Red Range 11 foot pellet waggler. Perfectly usable rod.
It would be admirable at £60 Angling Direct until you decide whether that's your style of course fishing.
For your £200 you should get rod, reel, bulk spool of line, a few floats a landing net, hooks,shot, disgorgers, scissors etc.
Loads of videos on the tube .
Starting back coarse fishing have a look on the Tube for Carl and Alex Tutorials. Covers all the basic stuff. A couple of amiable young brothers full of enthusiasm.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Frenzee FXT rods at Bobco for £50 minus 10% this weekend, looks like good value, though I can’t vouch for them.

Reaction score
In a more general vein, I would just say be careful not to fall for all the Carp Marketing Hype, and unless you just have to own shiny expensive new boy's toys don't fork out your hard earned cash unless you really need to. Personally I've never spent more than £60 on a Rod, and my Drennan Series 7 Reels do everything I ask of them. My "Carp Rods" are actually 10ft Spinning Rods and cost much less than "Official" Carp gear. A couple of years ago a local Tackle Shop were even featuring an overpriced "Carp Camping Kettle" in their window, well, it was Green!