Hardy Sovereign reels

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
With the sad passing of Queen Elizabeth II, the reference to the Sovereign brought about a conversation with our I.T guru Colin. A northeast lad of some years he has salmon fished all his life. His local river the Tyne once again has a prolific run of fish. He told me they can be” finicky and fast”.

In Colin’s mind the most important part of any reel is the drag. Hardy proudly boast in the 1990’s catalogues “the Sovereign reels have captured the minds and imagination of discerning fly fishermen (and expert reviews) around the globe”.

Built 1990-97, six sizes of the reel were produced ranging from a 3/4/5 trout model up to the 11/12 salmon size. The large drag adjuster is claimed to be fool proof, self-lubricating and totally sealed for protection.

All reels are hand made in Alnwick to the same exacting standards of an amazing +/- 0.0002”, less than one tenth of the thickness of a human hair. Converting from left to right hand winds takes a few seconds. The reversible nickle silver line guide prevents frame stripping grooves and prolongs the reels life.

Hardy sovereign reel

Hardy-sovereign-pic3-800x347.jpg

The spool runs on two fully enclosed hard stainless sealed ball races. In Colins words “why would you not use of these hand built quality reels? In most cases they cost less than a far eastern mass-produced inferior product”.

TT comment, only cheap tackle is expensive, buy the best, buy it once and do it right.

Check our current stocks of these reels, they sell fast so if you don’t see what you need, drop me an email listing your requirements. If your reading this and have same or similar high quality reels or rods to sell, please get in touch! john@thomasturner.com

We travel the country for large collections, it could be we are near you at some point, hosting one of our fishery or tackle shop valuations days.

Hardy-sovereign-pic4.png

Check our home page for details and always register for our Newsletter. Its free and continually offers special offers and information relating to upcoming events as well as interesting blogs and videos.

The post Hardy Sovereign reels appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...