Has anyone experienced problems with shimano baitrunners ??

bobbyf77

Reaction score
I have two shimano baitrunner 6000re they have been working fine until the baitrunner stopped working on one of them i have obtained the parts to repair it and have been told it is a common problem has anyone else experienced any problems with the shimano baitrunners???

Kind Regards

Mitchellman

captain carrott

Reaction score
nope never had any problems at all with any of mine.

the one okuma that i've had on the other hand worked correctly for about a week then started playing up.

bigbass

Reaction score
I can't believe i typing this but yes i have.
I got a st 6000 ra and the line lay is terrible !

Rickrod

Reaction score
I ve never had any problems with my shimanos baitrunners they feel has good now as when i first got them.And ive had them a few years.

bobbyf77

Reaction score
the line lay on my 6000re is **** collapses into the coils beneath

Regards

mitchellman

bigbass

Reaction score
Hi Ian. I've used a spin doctor, but still got the bad line lay.
Any help would be appreciated.

dezza

Reaction score
I have used Shimano baitrunners since their inception, and for sea fishing, which is what they were initially designed for, and have never had a problem.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My original baitrunners, 3500 triton sea-spins are still in use and have never given me any serious trouble despite me giving them a LOT of abuse. They clank a bit these days - but so do I! Very average spool design on the original reels resulted in poor line lay but this is probably the only fault I could find with them. The replacement models - when they started to go double handle - were of much lower build quality but they got better over the years, right up to the 4000XT (?) which I thought had the best clutch of any reel out there. But... the spool came off my one after just one seasons use and won't lock on again. This also happened to a pal of mine with the same reel. Whilst in the states earlier this year I bought a pair of the 3500B. These look to be bomb-proof. The replacement for this reel is the lighter 4000 which someone else (?) has imported and reported on in another thread.

Shimano generally make great reels but some models are definitely a lot better than others. I would always suggest getting sea-fishing models over freshwater ones as they usually seem to be much better built.

bobbyf77

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice geoff there sea reels would be of a better quality due to the salt as they will corrode quicker than the freshwater models.

Regards

Mitchellman

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Yes, they last longer but the disadvantage is that sea-reels seem to weigh a lot more

They do, but to me that's reassuring. I've got 4 x 4500Bs and 3 of the Big Blue 'M' models, all originally produced for sea fishing, all have superb clutches and all are very robust. Perfect.

If you really need (or is that want?) perfect line lay you can buy a Shimano Technium for about £300 per reel.Or a Daiwa Basiar for about £400.
99% of the time you'll do perfectly fine with the baitrunners.

And they'll deal with anything you care to throw at them...........

..............for years and years and years.

maver man

Reaction score
Yes when reeling in on my shimano aero 5000 baitrunners the spool began to make a strange clonking sound to i took the spool of to have a look applied some grease and its back to fish catching health ;)

bigbass

Reaction score
All I'm asking is a half decent line lay. £50 or £300 money doesn't come in to it.
Its a Shimano after all.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi I would say dont pay Mini monies and exspect Roll Royce performance. A low cost reel is never going to give you top end line lay and if it does then everthing about the reel has been built on a budget and it normally means it will have a short service life.
So OK you might have got poor line lay what ever that might be but does it seriously impact on you fishing do you really need those extra yards ?.

Out of all the shimanos I have got or have owned the worst line lay was on my Shimano GT5010 and even then it was only just a niggle because the line did not look quite parralel no matter how mant times I played with the spool stack washers.
I have recently brought five shimano big pit reels from people all with the new MkII quick clutch and everyone of them had the clucth set wrong so the clutch was just not doing what is was ment to do. And I see many many people who have got bad line stacking on their spool becuase they did not read the instructions and properly set the spol washer stack height correctly.

Good luck with your reels.

barbelbuster

Reaction score
Shimano problem

I just joined this forum and saw your reply to the original shimano problem. I have exactly the same problem with my 6000 shimanos. I fish the tidal trent generally at distance and find that when I load a new line its perfect but after a short time of use it does exactly what you said.I am using 12 lbs line, cannot remember the type but it is good quality. The baitrunner is continually in use and the clutch is set to allow barbel to take line when they surge/dive.
Did you solve the problem.

Regards

barbelbuster

quickcedo

Reaction score
A friend of mine left 2 REs on the roof or his boat for 2 years. Picked them up and they work perfectly. I guess it's the same for anything that's produced on a line. You have to get the odd one with faults.:mad:

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I have two shimano baitrunner 6000re they have been working fine until the baitrunner stopped working on one of them i have obtained the parts to repair it and have been told it is a common problem has anyone else experienced any problems with the shimano baitrunners???

Kind Regards

Mitchellman

I also have a Shimano 6000RE and it's been fine, nothing wrong with it. Have a look at this article about shimano baitrunners, it's quite helpful:

The Tackle Box reel repair and service