Has anyone tried......

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Hi guys,pondering baits and curious to know if anyone has tried the steak and mince combination for tench,caught plenty of chub on it,but years ago there was always anglers saying that pigs blood was a great additive for for them,so why not???

nottskev

Reaction score
Luncheon meat diced into small cubes catches them, for sure, and I dye it red - a bit of Sensas Magic or Robin Red powder - as it looks better, to me at least. I've never tried steak and mince. There's a Fred Taylor book called Tench - there's another by him, Tench Fishing - which I read while reading the local library's entire stock of fishing books aged 13 or 14. I'm pretty sure that some visits to an abattoir are involved. (Maybe Phil's got a line on this?) It's a great book as I recall, with each chapter telling the story of finding, scoping and tackling a different water. The one I envied most was the place that had so many fish they resorted to catching everything that swims until, dozens of fish into the session, they'd find they had a tench on. If only I could find a place like that, I remember thinking.

@Clive

Reaction score
If you look at the old fishing books, pre WW2, they used meat baits for nearly everything. It was mainly offal such as greaves. However, given the price of domestic cuts of meat these days I reallly don't see the point of using steak and minced beef when rendered pork is so cheap. Luncheon meat in tins or the similar stuff from the deli will do nicely. Even bacon lardons. I would just grate and chop up half a luncheon meat loaf, mix it with groundbait and use the other half for hook baits.

The bad one

Reaction score
Only ever used pigs blood in my groundbait Kev. Can't say it improved my catches though. Lee Swords I know used beef slices on the Trent for Chub and had some good catches on it,

Aknib

Reaction score
Luncheon meat diced into small cubes catches them, for sure, and I dye it red - a bit of Sensas Magic or Robin Red powder - as it looks better, to me at least. I've never tried steak and mince. There's a Fred Taylor book called Tench - there's another by him, Tench Fishing - which I read while reading the local library's entire stock of fishing books aged 13 or 14. I'm pretty sure that some visits to an abattoir are involved. (Maybe Phil's got a line on this?) It's a great book as I recall, with each chapter telling the story of finding, scoping and tackling a different water. The one I envied most was the place that had so many fish they resorted to catching everything that swims until, dozens of fish into the session, they'd find they had a tench on. If only I could find a place like that, I remember thinking.

There definitely sees to be a connection with the colour red and Tench Kev, maybe it's the eyes? :cool:

On the abattoir thing I have a mate who works in an abattoir (my father also ran one for over thirty years) and he's brought me pig's blood to try in its purest and undiluted form...

Yuk, what an oily and generally awful thing to work with!

Don't know about mince for Tench but as an additive in groundbait for Perch forget it.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A long obsolete groundbait that worked for me for tench (and bream and skimmers) was Pur Sang (French for pure blood) which had a lot of dried blood in it.

nottskev

Reaction score
I remember reading about swims on an Irish river - the Blackwater - where shoals of abnormally large roach fed around the outfall of a bacon factory. Apparently globs of clotted blood from the outfall chute made the best hookbait. I've fished in pretty well every county in Ireland that has good coarse fishing, but I gave that one a miss.

Bacon.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I remember reading about swims on an Irish river - the Blackwater - where shoals of abnormally large roach fed around the outfall of a bacon factory. Apparently globs of clotted blood from the outfall chute made the best hookbait. I've fished in pretty well every county in Ireland that has good coarse fishing, but I gave that one a miss.

View attachment 26991
I fished opposite that factory back in 1978 and caught a few small dace; I didn't fancy fishing right on the chute. I won't describe the sequence of events that morning but it stared with lorry-loads of pigs arriving....

nottskev

Reaction score
I fished opposite that factory back in 1978 and caught a few small dace; I didn't fancy fishing right on the chute. I won't describe the sequence of events that morning but it stared with lorry-loads of pigs arriving....

There was an article in AT at the time, iirc, and it sounded horrific. Decades later, I stopped off upstream at Fermoy for a quick go, en route to the ferry. I caught a few small dace too.

Philip

Reaction score
A long obsolete groundbait that worked for me for tench (and bream and skimmers) was Pur Sang (French for pure blood) which had a lot of dried blood in it.

You can still get Pur Sang Groundbait under the la Sirène label, not sure if its the same thing you used..

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
You can still get Pur Sang Groundbait under the la Sirène label, not sure if its the same thing you used..

Probably the same stuff; I'll pass. I did stock up many years ago but it was a groundbait that lost its effectiveness if kept for more than a year.