Have you been watching Gone Fishing?

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score

Have you been watching the latest series of Gone Fishing with Paul Whitehouse and Bob Mortimer?​

Gone-fishing-6-533x400.jpg

TT Classic+ rods in action on Gone Fishing

We certainly have and are excited to see our brand new TT Classic+ rods being used on this series! Paul and Bob were keen to try these out, even though there was no financial interest. If you look closely at episodes one and four, you will see our rods being used by Paul and Bob, whilst fishing for chubb on the River Avon and The Wye, doing some touch ledgering/free lining using bread flake and they successfully catch a couple of fish! In episode four they head to Sutton Lake in Shropshire to fish for crucian carp. Bob uses our rods in this episode, and although Paul is the first to catch a crucian carp, Bob soon catches his own!

Gone-fishing--533x400.jpg
Gone-fishing-2-533x400.jpg

Gone-fishing-4-533x400.jpg
Gone-fishing-3-533x400.jpg

If you are interested in finding out more about the range of rods created by us, Thomas Turner, which are based on the popular Hardy Marksman range, please go to the dedicated website https://www.ttclassicplus.com/

You can read the story behind the development of the rods, and the specification for each of the rods in the range; 13ft, 14ft float, 12ft quivertip, 10ft bomb and 11ft 1lb test curve Avon.

Also…..​

Have you seen the new book, written by Paul Whitehouse and our good friend John Bailey? ‘How we fish – The Love, Life and Joy of the Riverbank’ is a book for all who love fishing. Re-living their fishing history, talking of their fishing trips of the past and celebrating the ‘rich tapestry that is fishing’. Go and grab your copy now and sit down with a cuppa, perhaps by the riverbank, whilst waiting for that elusive ‘bite’ and have a read.

How-we-fish-by-Paul-Whitehouse-and-John-Bailey-258x400.jpg

The post Have you been watching Gone Fishing? appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...

Aknib

Reaction score
Yes and yes.

I noticed those episodes but it might have been the punt fished Bridge Pool/Sea Trout episode which really caught my eye.

I have been watching on ITVX just this week and the olive blanks did catch my attention, I initially went down the line of the original Marksmans but the reel seats and handle bands confirmed they were TT's for me.

I'm of the opinion that they're the highest end blanks and I want to buy one, I can live with the reel seat but those bands on the otherwise attractive cork handles are an unnecessary and off putting addition imo.

A matching 'champagne' coloured reel seat would not go a miss though.

Maybe something that could be reflected on the long awaited TT Gudgeon Wand? :)

I'm first in the queue if you do...

To boldly go and secure a market where no other rod has dared to go before!

@Clive

Reaction score
Not exactly a showcase is it? You barely see a fish let alone what rods they are using 😄

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Well, the last episode contained Lee Mack, a vegan and spent most of the programme throwing a TT magnet in front of Paul Whitehouse to completely ruin any chance of him catching a fish, typical anti angling stance that the BBC have, my wife likes watching the programme but even she said it was a waste of half an hour, it would have been far better if Paul would have strung Mack up, would have enjoyed that....

@Clive

Reaction score
I think that the show suffers from the producer having an agenda to drive through that isn't conducive to a fishing program. There are too many side issues being lightly touched upon that spoil the format. I think they have missed a trick. Paul is a very knowledgeable and competant angler. Bob is full of enthisiasm. Why not do a modern Mr. Crabtree series with the role of Mr C being taken by Paul and Bob representing the angling public in learning tactics, presentation, etc? The nearest they came was with the frogging lures. The rest of the programs barely mention bait, tactics or tackle. John Bailey is pinching his wages as fishing advisor because there isn't enough fishing content to mention.

chevin4

Reaction score
I think that the show suffers from the producer having an agenda to drive through that isn't conducive to a fishing program. There are too many side issues being lightly touched upon that spoil the format. I think they have missed a trick. Paul is a very knowledgeable and competant angler. Bob is full of enthisiasm. Why not do a modern Mr. Crabtree series with the role of Mr C being taken by Paul and Bob representing the angling public in learning tactics, presentation, etc? The nearest they came was with the frogging lures. The rest of the programs barely mention bait, tactics or tackle. John Bailey is pinching his wages as fishing advisor because there isn't enough fishing content to mention.
IMO There is too much emphasis of Bob and Paul.banging on about their ailments the fishing has become secondary