Hello again - five years later

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Hello folks, or rather hello again. I joined 5 years ago as a 'fly fisherman with nowhere to go' (moved from Cheshire to Worcestershire, now Gloucestershire), with the intention of taking up coarse fishing on the Wye and Avon, but 'stuff' got in the way, as it does. Anyway, I just found myself asking the same question as back then and found an old post of mine (it was about some old Japanese made Shimano reels I still have... and will keep).

So, I'm determined to get out this autumn and winter. I bought an as-yet unused Drennan Match Pro Float 13ft, but might look for something more substantial so I can trot for barbel and chubb... cuz I'm obviously going to catch some whoppers!!! And in this game the gear is a lot cheaper than fly fishing.

Will still fly fish on Exmoor in the summer, but in the meantime, looking forward to some doorstep coarse fishing.

If anyone can recommend a good tackle shop, roughly between Evesham, Cirencester and Burford I'd be grateful. I like to build up a good relationship with 'bricks and mortar' tackle dealers if I can.

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome back to the fold (y)

I look forward to your posts and your catch results in the “How did you get on” thread.

Keith

rubio

Reaction score
Hello hello.
Matchpro is a fine rod. Even I've managed to land decent chub with one. Admittedly not on the Wye.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
^^^ Thanks for the endorsement, but I just sold it and I'm now off to buy an Acolyte Plus float rod. I only need one coarse rod... just don't get me going on fly rods!