Hi everyone

Georgie39

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am thinking of returning to fishing, bug so much has changed and not sure what to buy? I would like to catch coarse fish and small to medium carp upto 18lb, would you kind people help me out with the equipment I would need

Kind Regards
George

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Do you have a budget and is there a particular discipline you wish to try/ recommence first ie float or feeder?
There is little point in making suggestions until these basic parameters are known.

Georgie39

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Do you have a budget and is there a particular discipline you wish to try/ recommence first ie float or feeder?
There is little point in making suggestions until these basic parameters are known.
Thanks for replying mikench, I think feeder or method is what I would like to start with as for budget haven't really thought of it just wanted to make sure I bought decent stuff.
Regards
George

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hi and welcome
You won't go far wrong looking at the new Daiwa Matchman range of rods or the Shimano XR range of rods .
The Daiwas are brilliant value for the money , there is one or more in the range that will suit your needs
I had the D match rods a couple of years ago, These were the predecessor to the Matchman range. . All around £50.
The Shimano X1 are slightly dearer. But again brilliant value .
I see you are from Ellesmere Port . They have a good angling club , it may be worth joining that . A venue with trying is " Cheshire Oak" so named due to its location to the retail outlet . There is a tackle shop there . He may recommend tackle , but don't forget ,it is his business and he will more than likely recommend what he stocks of one particular brand .
If there is an Angling Direct near to you , call in there, They have a large range of tackle from all the major brands and all ranges of budget. . You can have a waggle of the rods in there. But ask if you can put a reel on them to get an idea of the balance .
Wendy Lockers shop " The Tackle Locker" is in your area , you will get good advice from there .
Hope the above helps , I have no affinity to any of the brand's or shops mentioned .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
True , buy cheap buy twice is often the saying . But looking and having a dabble with the Daiwa and Shimano rods I would be happy to use them , plus you will still get a good resale on them if you sold them . I looked at the X5 and X7 Shimano as well . I would put my aspire up there with the X7.
If Des Shipp can win £25000 with a low priced Preston Tod because it was ideal for what he needed , it shows how good the lower priced rods are .
Ok he is an international angler and consultant but is willing to use the lower end .
I know a Drennan consultant ,an ex international who is happy to use the red range of rods on commercials .

john step

Reaction score
Dont forget the water will soon be cooling and getting clear. Out and out feeder fishing can be more hit and miss. It will get harder. The roach etc will be more willing in the cold. Your feeder rod can be used with a light bomb with maggot/worm on the hook and a few maggots sprayed over the top.
As you specified coarse/carp I am presuming a commie type venue. I think the 18lb carp may be optimistic?
If they do run to that size where you intend to fish and there are no snags I would use something like 8lb hooklink dropping down when the water clears. I like Drennan double strength but others will have different ideas.
In winter with a light quiver put in and the roach oblige and the carp go off 4lb will be OK.

Georgie39

Reaction score
Hi and welcome
You won't go far wrong looking at the new Daiwa Matchman range of rods or the Shimano XR range of rods .
The Daiwas are brilliant value for the money , there is one or more in the range that will suit your needs
I had the D match rods a couple of years ago, These were the predecessor to the Matchman range. . All around £50.
The Shimano X1 are slightly dearer. But again brilliant value .
I see you are from Ellesmere Port . They have a good angling club , it may be worth joining that . A venue with trying is " Cheshire Oak" so named due to its location to the retail outlet . There is a tackle shop there . He may recommend tackle , but don't forget ,it is his business and he will more than likely recommend what he stocks of one particular brand .
If there is an Angling Direct near to you , call in there, They have a large range of tackle from all the major brands and all ranges of budget. . You can have a waggle of the rods in there. But ask if you can put a reel on them to get an idea of the balance .
Wendy Lockers shop " The Tackle Locker" is in your area , you will get good advice from there .
Hope the above helps , I have no affinity to any of the brand's or shops mentioned .
Thank you such I will definitely call in and ask some questions

Regards
George

mikench

Reaction score
Whatever you buy, wherever you fish and whatever you catch, try to enjoy it. Enjoy nature, the changing scenery as leaves turn into autumn colours and fall and the fresh air. It’s called fishing not catching.😉