Hook Tyer for Spade End Hooks

keora

Reaction score
I bought a Matchman Hook Tyer (MPH Associates) a while ago. The instructions are hard to understand. I've looked on the web, there's some advice on the Angling Times site, although the photos demonstrating the gadget are not very focussed.

I want to tie size 18 spade end hooks to 3lb line. Although I've used the Domhof knot for bigger spade end hooks, it's not easy when tying a small hook. That's why I tried the hook tyer, without success.

Has anybody any advice on how to use it?

nottskev

Reaction score
There are lots of youtube videos, some clearer than others, showing what to do.
How you do it is the key, and there's no substitute for a bit of patient practice, frustrating as it is when it's not coming out right.
It doesn't take long to settle on exactly how to clamp the hook, angle and line things up, and apply just the right tension in whipping around the shank and pulling the knot down. Moistening the line, as always, helps avoid deforming the line.
I've used these tyers since they first came out, and I use nothing else for spade end hooks.
Some don't like spade end hooks or the knot these tie, but I've found both entirely reliable.

I do know why you posted, though. I only recently bought a couple of those little crook-shaped loop-tyers and I was embarrassed that it took me as long as it did to be able to use one without puzzling myself.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Getting the tension right is the part that takes practice. I do use Matchman hook tiers on the bank but for tying hooks at home I use an Esi-Tie bench tier which is far easier to use (long out of manufacture as it was made in the 1970s) though it does tie the same knot.

Attachments

• IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 31

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I use the Chinese copies of the matchman, made out of anodised golden aluminium, it unscrews at halfway where there are basically two dart points glued in for loop tying(if you use them), clinching,or knot picking, you can pick these up for silly money.

As for using the hook tyer I would be happy to meet up and show you how, but sod's law dictates we are probably a long way apart, I tie my hooks on the bank, your other option is to take your hook tyer, hooks and line into your tackle shop and ask them to show you, practice is key and the best advice I can give is pull the knot slowly to tighten with plenty of spittle...

@Clive

Reaction score
As said, the key is in aligning the hook shank to the line and keeping the tension just tight enough to stop anything jumping out of place. Remember that you can place the hook in the clamp two ways and that along with how you start the rotation will determine whether the line comes from the front of the spade or the back.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Have a look at Brad's angling videos- tying small hooks with a matchman hook tyer and yes I know it's not a matchman and it's not a small hook...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used a Sensas Pierottie hook tyer since the mid 90’s and have never had a problem.

It is quick and simple to use but I also have a Matchman tyer in my seat box.

nottskev

Reaction score
I have used a Sensas Pierottie hook tyer since the mid 90’s and have never had a problem.

It is quick and simple to use but I also have a Matchman tyer in my seat box.

I haven't seen one of those, but I've got this Stonfo affair. You have to love Italian design, so it was either this or a Ducati.

This one allows you to rotate just the front end, saving all the heavy lifting.

Stonfo.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A mate gave me a selection of hook and loop tyers about a year or so ago. I couldn’t get on with any of them despite persevering for a good while. The loop tyers were fine but the hook tyers were a right pain. Then I thought about how dim some of the people who could hand tie hooks were that I had known in the past. Some were just over amoeba level.

I went out and bought a selection of spade ends and spools of hook length material and started with size ten got progressively smaller. The smallest size I tied up was an eighteen I tested each of them up to just below the point that I thought they might break and they have been fine in use too and none have let go unexpectedly.

It may be that the hook tyers I was given were crappy generic ones, or I may just be a numpty myself. I may buy a proper one and give it a go again, after all some of the people I have known who can use a hook tyer are ………… you can guess the rest, lol.

keora

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.

After I wrote the first query, I found instructions on the net for tying line to a spade end hook using the Domhof knot.

After a few goes, it was easier to use than the Hook Tie gadget I bought. I put the reel of line on a table, and pinned it down with something heavy. This kept the line in tension. I could keep the hook held between finger and thumb and see how I was wrapping the line around the hook shank. I did half a dozen hooks fairly quickly.

I'll have another go with the Hook Tier.

The bad one

Reaction score
Never used one, always tie all my spade ends down to 22 by hand. Need my glasses on for them these days but the fingers are still dextrous enough to do it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Since I first started to use one; over 40 years or more ago; I’ve never had a problem with using a Matchman hook tier; and I can’t understand why some anglers have so much trouble with using them; but some obviously do.

I even use my Matchman hook tier on the bank after setting up using the slight bend my rod tip to keep the required tension on my hooklength. It only takes me a few seconds to tie a size 20 or 18 hook using one.

Keeping the required tension on the line; and making sure that you don’t overlay any of your turns along the hook shank is essential in my view.

I’ve never used spade end hooks larger than a size 14 or tied them using more than 4lb bs line though.

Keith

GT56

Reaction score
If I've managed to attach the photograph, you'll see a clearly very rough home made jig that I've used for years. I've seen far better made hook tying jigs in the past and mine was a more an experiment/prototype but when I found it worked, it went straight into production.

On a nice day sat in the garden I can soon tie up a good quantity of hook lengths and they'll all exactly the same length. I start with a simple loop in the line placed over a pop rivet and with a hook clamped in the Matchmans hook tier with the hook facing upwards, I revolve the hook tier and away we go. For different lengths (12" max) I simply move the pop rivet block.

I must say Mark W jig looked very interesting and could easily become a project, as I think this would enable me to tie longer hook lengths.

I've long since accepted my fishing is far less frustrating when I avoid tying difficult knots, replacing shot and definitely tying hooks on the bank.

hook tyer.jpg

The bad one

Reaction score
If I've managed to attach the photograph, you'll see a clearly very rough home made jig that I've used for years. I've seen far better made hook tying jigs in the past and mine was a more an experiment/prototype but when I found it worked, it went straight into production.

On a nice day sat in the garden I can soon tie up a good quantity of hook lengths and they'll all exactly the same length. I start with a simple loop in the line placed over a pop rivet and with a hook clamped in the Matchmans hook tier with the hook facing upwards, I revolve the hook tier and away we go. For different lengths (12" max) I simply move the pop rivet block.

I must say Mark W jig looked very interesting and could easily become a project, as I think this would enable me to tie longer hook lengths.

I've long since accepted my fishing is far less frustrating when I avoid tying difficult knots, replacing shot and definitely tying hooks on the bank.

View attachment 28356
I like that even though I don't need it......well thought out GT