How did you get on?

nottskev

Reaction score
Graham (The Crow) and I met up at a small pool near Swarkestone. The day started with me leading the way up the wrong track - and I've fished there a number of times! - and went on from there. It was nice to meet up again, and have a chat, but the fishing let us down a bit. It's a slow-starting kind of place and a dull morning is usually rescued by the fish perking up after lunch; this time they didn't bother. Graham snagged a couple with his float, centrepin and mussel tactics, and at least one needed the Drennan Twist/Lock to remove it from the water, but it was scant reward for hours of patiently trying to feed a few fish out of the lillies. A couple of pastie carp, skimmers and a bunch of small ide were all I could catch on the pole, and no landing nets were involved. With 6 anglers on the lake, the best catch was a tench, a carp and a goldfish. Still, the sun shone, the place looked pretty and we enjoyed it. Thanks, Graham, and we'll hope to catch more next time.

thecrow

Reaction score
As previously reported Kev and I met up yesterday for a day on a water that I must have driven close to many times without knowing it was there :)

Unfortunately my angling prowess wasn't of the standard required by the fish on the day and it was difficult fishing, plenty of fish showing including a fish that was moving the reeds just to my left 12 inches from the bank.

One thing that was satisfying was that most bites I had were on pieces of mussel my first time using them but certainly not my last ( I reckon a couple of dozen on a hair will catch those cats from a nearby water) my hook may have been a bit on the small size as I pulled out of a few fish.

Had to cut the day short at around 2pm as back was giving me some jip, my own fault really as I had done a bit to much the day before making a false floor for the boot of my car the salesman told me that Toyota sold one for my model but having seen the prices of Toyota spares ( an ashtray if you needed one is £60 :eek: ) I dread to think what one would have cost.

The other reason my back was hurting so much was I think my chair not being suitable for an old crock so I shall be looking for another that might be more suitable so don't be surprised to see yet another "What Chair" thread appear shortly :D

Thanks for an enjoyable day Kev.

john step

Reaction score
A day barbeling on the non tidal FOR BREAM IT WOULD APPEAR!! No barbel though. Perhaps I was a bit too hopeful on a low and clear river.

What I did feel obliged to do though was clear up a carrier bag full of tins, beer cans and bottles and conglomerates of discarded line left by some scags. They also had a fire on the bank. I wonder what they bar b qued??
I hope they rot.

This section has got more popular since the club allow cars along the bank. With all the ruts now appearing and rubbish where his cattle roam I cannot understand why the farmer continues to allow cars.

I expect the next step will be to ban angling!

Reaction score
Went for a few hours on the Dearne at Adwick. Took meat, and corn. No hemp or bread for some reason(this was probably what lead to my blank). Switching between a lead and a few SSGs depending on the swim I was in led to an utter blank. Not a bad day though as the weather was nice, birds were singing, and I had a decent size snake cross the river in front of me.

Here's to next time!:w

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I hadn't intended to fish today until i saw my neighbour depart in his car at 8am.
Chucked a few bits in the car and joined him on the GUC near Hemel.
Fished waggler and worm as close as I dared to a sunken mass of snaggy branches across.

image.jpg

Plenty of bites but mainly small roach, dace, bleak, ruff and perch with the odd gudgeon as well.
Not much flow today on this canalised river Gade but it was well coloured up due to the boat traffic. After a couple of hours it went a bit dead and I commented to my neighbour that the roach had stopped feeding. Seconds later my float buried and I was into a better fish.

image.jpg

Not long after that the inevitable happened, I snagged the branches and lost the whole rig:eek:mg:

With that we both packed up but I'd had a fair few fish in the morning and was pleased I went...

image.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
Continued my disappointing run of form with a few small silvers at club lake yesterday. I went armed with two pints each of maggots and caster, along with a couple of pints of hemp intending to gather a shoal and catch a shedful. At least I've plenty of bait left.

skov

Reaction score
Took the kids camping this weekend. The campsite just happened to have a little lake on it, and well, it'd be rude not to give it a try for a couple of hours :D
It's not the sort of venue I'd usually frequent and the fishing was a little more thick and fast than I'm used too :eek:
A maggot dangled almost anywhere picked up a small roach within seconds, and a 3 or 4 on the hook chucked next to an overhanging tree tempted a succession of small carp.
The kids all took turns on the rod and really enjoyed catching. The boy took it upon himself to be 'net man', and did a great job too, whilst my eldest girl loved releasing the fish back into the water - especially the carp when they gave a good kick and splashed her as they shot off.
I'm not sure any of them are quite hooked yet, but we definitely all had good fun.

D5GiIJlLJMgFfLO8fYxD9tMtgLNFojHjF0bG41Kkpr6f-WPJmhK6GIArllkJYJbpxyAT1Pg5dtyzlE3t_w0Xle7-JcilwndpcXPDq1s8IE-Rd65YpsD15K5qWN3NkkPqRohSzXwISrU

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
After a week of getting up at silly o'clock culminated in a visit to a junior Rosa Kleb to obtain a Russian visa, I awarded myself a truly earned day's fishing but only after a Sunday morning lie in.

Arriving at my usual choice of commercial circa 11.30am, this was definitely going to be a session on my terms. The early was wet, dark and miserable but had improved slightly by the late arrival time.

The usual pole tackle, Preston Response Carp and a typical rig, 8lb main line, a 1g Preston Tyson float doen to a 14 to 6.1lb trace, Baits also the usual suspects, 8mm cubed meat, krill flavoured corn, a few prawns and a couple of slices of bread with a big 6mm punch to hand, if needed,

It was, to be honest, a typical carp led session with the first half a dozen fish from 1lb to one around the 7lb mark, all on meat.

The skimmers then moved in and one would appear between the carp with a nice odd roach circa half a pound popping up.

I switched to prawns which slowed the catch rate but did seem to increase the size of the fish with four between 4 and 5 plus quickly falling to it.

The corn was, for reasons unknown, not a great success today, bites slowed to a crawl though two nice skimmers did take it.

I decided on an hour on the punch to try it as I never actually have here. The roach and skimmers seemed to get to the bait first every put which was just fine by me. Nothing amazing, the roach up to around 7oz and the skimmers a shade North of 1lb.

An enjoyable day, all in all.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Went and fished the club pool today only took bread .

3 fish in total but 3 decent fish all carp just into double figures which considering the weather was not bad had the wind blowing straight at me all the time so come 14:30 that was it done i'm outta here .

PG ..

PS working on the picrures for the closed face reel thread .

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Up at dawn this morning and off down the M25 to Dorking. The signs were saying M25 closed junctions 10 to 11 which got me worried as Surrey isn't too familiar to me if a detour was necessary... Luckily enough as I approached the Woking exit and joined the queue to get off they re- opened the motorway, phew!
Arrived at today's club match venue, the idyllic Old Bury hill fishery. The lake was calm and serene with fish fizzing everywhere.

image.jpg

At the draw I picked out a favoured peg opposite the island on the bank to the right of the picture above... I was happy but on arriving I was slightly perturbed by the one sided parrot cage of a peg...

image.jpg

Set up 2 feeder rods, one with a cage feeder the other with a method feeder. It's a long old chuck to the island but my Abu Suveran 12' ( spigot) rod and 25gr feeder made it a breeze...
At the off I cupped 6 babyheads of Fishmeal groundbait laced with a few 2m micros @13m on the pole line and left it to fizz.. Method feeder loaded with groundbait and a yellow Bandum hair rigged on a 16 launched to within 10yds of the island. Within seconds a couple of liners were followed by a positive pull round and skimmer no1 was on its way in...

image.jpg

That was soon followed by another which did a disappearing act at the net...
My neighbour was getting a few halfway over so I swapped rods and chucked shorter, cage and small worm tipped with a flouro pinkie which tempted a few more.
2hours in I tried the pole line, double pinkie on a 20. First bite a tiny perch followed by some wafer thin baby skimmers, not really match winning stuff so I binned the pole in favour of the cage and worm line. Took a succession of decent skimmers before it started raining and the wind strengthened, it turned very chilly all of a sudden. No waterproofs or brolly I was beginning to shiver as my trousers got wetter, the forecast said this would happen later:confused:

As the whistle blew after 6 hours I felt tired, wet and slightly disappointed I'd not caught more, but that's bream fishing, fickle and infuriating when you want to catch them...

When the scalesman uttered blimey when he saw my fish in the net I felt I'd perhaps done better than others in my section, 24lb:15oz was indeed good enough for 2nd in section (7) but just out of the frame at the final reckoning...
I think I came 7th out of 28 so not too shabby...

The M25 home was the usual car park, 30minute delays flashing up around Heathrow as usual...

image.jpg

As I write this I'm in my local and on my second pint not looking forward to unpacking the car when I get home..

Upside however, 4 cold cans in the fridge at home...

nottskev

Reaction score
If you are a "Happy it's getting cooler" type. you'd have enjoyed the steady cold drizzle that descended on the Trent this afternoon. And having just posted on the "Forgotten Items" thread before I went out, I forgot the umbrella, so I wrapped up a bit earlier than I planned. The roach had been keen on tares in recent weeks, taking them from the off, but today only caster got bites, the stamp of fish was smaller and my 30+ roach would only weigh about 8 or 9 lb. The first one in the new landing net was a nice-looking fish, and at least I went home with the same amount of tackle I brought with me.

pod.jpg

Even the pike were off their game today, and only an 18" jack worried the keepnet half-heartedly. It's usually being mauled by things that would have eaten him.
On the way back to the car, I checked what the guys below the bridge had had, as they were also fishing the stick, and it was the same amount of even smaller fish for about 4lb. That cheered me up a bit. I'm not particularly competitive, but a "good" catch is relative to what's being caught, and there's no point kicking yourself if everyone is struggling to catch, and that was the case today, on the first day that didn't feel like summer.

Philip

Reaction score
Back from a few days down in the South of France, it wasn’t a fishing trip but I packed a bit of tackle & managed to sneak in a couple of quick sessions of an hour or so in the lovely rivers down that way.

Barbel were the target however with blue skies, very low water levels & temperatures in the upper 30's the conditions were better suited to swimming than fishing and it was whilst taking a dip in the river the day before I noticed something moving at my feet…it was a Barbel. As I looked more closely I noticed that as I moved around several Barbel were literally drifting round my feet attracted by the gravel and sediment I was kicking up - Point noted !

Next morning I was up with the lark and off down the river. Casting from the bank I could not get a take but then I remembered the experience the day before and wading into the river and shuffling my feet in the gravel & totting my float directly below me I started to catch them….it was like text book Gudgeon fishing on a Grand scale !

The Barbel were not big but you don’t fish down here for monsters, you come for the fantastic setting and scenery catching pristine fish in a wild unspoilt environment. No purpose made swims or fishing platforms here, just a case of wading around in shorts and trotting a float or bouncing a bait through any likely looking deeper runs. An old pair of plimsols to stop you slipping on the rocks and a pair of polarizing sunglasses to spot the fish help here !

This is about the average stamp of fish but they were all pristine and in most cases would never have seen a hook before...

philip-albums-misc-picture4784-barbel.jpg

A bag of bread tucked in my shorts and off I trotted. Playing a Barbel mid river...

philip-albums-misc-picture4782-barbel-fig.jpg

Dawn on the river, you cant beat it !

philip-albums-misc-picture4783-barbel-swm2-potrait.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Very nice Philip! What river was that out of interest? Headed to Saint-Martin- Vesubie today but fish are not on the agenda . I will check the place out for next time!:)

tomino2112

Reaction score
What a session I had yesterday! Needed to escape busy life and so went with the comfort of commercial (naughty me). Caught all together 5 species: Roach, Dace, Perch, Bream and my very first crucian carp! All on float, very relaxing. Would be six but something that must have been a Tench snagged me in lily pads...

Even though it was cold and I got soaked because I lost my jacket somewhere on the way, it was great day fishing, exactly what I needed!

o0qxpK9.jpg

More images: Great days fishing! Five species in on a float, great relax - Album on Imgur

greenie62

Reaction score
Re: Beautiful Polperro

A little vid from last months holiday fishing in Polperro :)

Nice ones, Neil.:thumbs:

Beautifully illustrates how close you have to fish to the wall sometimes - a rod-length out and you might not have had any!:)

Well done on the IDs and labelling, too.

B

binka

Re: Beautiful Polperro

A little vid from last months holiday fishing in Polperro :)

YouTube

Very enjoyable Neil, thanks for putting it together and posting it... One of those fish looks very like a Bullhead.

Not sure about the talking ticket machine but it's good to know that Bert Large of former Doc Martin fame managed to find employment :D

Any idea what the monster which got away might have been?

mikench

Reaction score
The HDYGO thread and a post from Binka today can only be good karma! Well I sincerely hope so Steve!:)