How did you get on?

Reaction score
I wanted to have a go on the GtOuse upstream of Bedford,walked several pegs,one looked a belter,I plumbed up,hoping to see if the bottom was clean,seemed ok so on with two maggots and out it went,dragged under straight away,lifted up and was stuck in weed,I shallowed of,but it continued snagging up for getting on for an hour before I went for a walk and found a better option I client trot,but fed with a dropper and laid on close in,not much good,but fourteen dace,twelve roach,ten perch,bleak and a skimmer,nothing bigger than 8ozs...

flightliner

Reaction score
BackTrentside wednesday after putting off my trip either monday or tuesday on account of the hot weather. Hoping for a fourth interesting day I came to earth with a bump!
I decided to try a swim for the first time and things came unstuck, I didnt check the tides and kicked myself for not doing so as a half hour in the river went into reverse, not or seldom good for me so I brought the feeder gear in and waited for the tide to turn back seawards causing my fishing time to be cut by a few hours.
As the river finally stood still I peppered the swim with pellets and corn followed by my g/bait feeders hoping for a few nice roach.
That pretty much was it, not one single bite for the rest of the session and when I heard the distant rumble of the forcast storm in the west I needed little encouragement to pack my kit away in the car and head for home!!

Keith M

Reaction score
Had another evening on the same lake after Carp and caught a couple of small Carp of around 10lb to 12lb-ish and then just as I was going to start packing up I caught another Wells Catfish which felt and looked a little bit heavier than the last one that I caught here a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently they were illegally stocked into a reservoir further upstream and they spread downstream into this lake.

hopefully they’ll have another netting party soon to catch and remove them; however meanwhile we are putting any that we catch into a large submerged pen ready to be taken away.

OK yes I did enjoy catching it as it did put up a prolonged dogged fight; however I’d much rather have caught a 20lb Carp which is what I was trying to catch; or a 7lb Tench.

89-DCC644-7609-4228-8-D39-FBA957-DF7-B7-

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Thats some beasty Keith.

Today was one of those days. For all the wrong reasons.
We went to a commie day ticket carp water for the annual memorial match to remember a local angler who loved the place although I now cannot fathom why.
Hacketts Lake Nottingham.
We had the pegs booked and paid for.
The lake was packed apart from our reserved places. I can understand those who moan about the crowds in such places now as I have never experienced it previously. Bivvies to the left and bivvies to the right.

To our left side a family arrived. I thought how nice a family fishing together. Then their mates arrived prior to the end of the match.
"Could we leave our kit on the bank behind your match for when its over as we are staying all night"

The cars started being left behind us with the accompanying door banging and banter and then looking behind to see where the hammering was coming from it was the bivvies being malleted in "just to get a head start"

This obviously extended THEIR space so the kids started using their space to run up and down behind us playing blooming frisbies and all.

Lets not forget the car radios of course.
Lets not forget dipping their rigs in next to us to see if the boilies were balanced properly.

When I pronounced to the one behind me that I had met some selfish ignorant people in my time but your lot rank highly amongst them he appeared genuinely surprised.

Never again. What a waste of a fishing day. Rant over. I had to get that off my chest.

nottskev

Reaction score
Had another evening on the same lake after Carp and caught a couple of small Carp of around 10lb to 12lb-ish and then just as I was going to start packing up I caught another Wells Catfish which felt and looked a little bit heavier than the last one that I caught here a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently they were illegally stocked into a reservoir further upstream and they spread downstream into this lake.

hopefully they’ll have another netting party soon to catch and remove them; however meanwhile we are putting any that we catch into a large submerged pen ready to be taken away.

OK yes I did enjoy catching it as it did put up a tremendous fight; however I’d much rather have caught a 20lb Carp which is what I was trying to catch; or a 7lb Tench.

89-DCC644-7609-4228-8-D39-FBA957-DF7-B7-

Keith

Bloody hell, Keith! It sounds like you just took catching that extraordinary creature in your stride! I've never even seen one.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thats some beasty Keith.

Today was one of those days. For all the wrong reasons.
We went to a commie day ticket carp water for the annual memorial match to remember a local angler who loved the place although I now cannot fathom why.
Hacketts Lake Nottingham.
We had the pegs booked and paid for.
The lake was packed apart from our reserved places. I can understand those who moan about the crowds in such places now as I have never experienced it previously. Bivvies to the left and bivvies to the right.

To our left side a family arrived. I thought how nice a family fishing together. Then their mates arrived prior to the end of the match.
"Could we leave our kit on the bank behind your match for when its over as we are staying all night"

The cars started being left behind us with the accompanying door banging and banter and then looking behind to see where the hammering was coming from it was the bivvies being malleted in "just to get a head start"

This obviously extended THEIR space so the kids started using their space to run up and down behind us playing blooming frisbies and all.

Lets not forget the car radios of course.
Lets not forget dipping their rigs in next to us to see if the boilies were balanced properly.

When I pronounced to the one behind me that I had met some selfish ignorant people in my time but your lot rank highly amongst them he appeared genuinely surprised.

Never again. What a waste of a fishing day. Rant over. I had to get that off my chest.

Welcome to Nottingham Pete. The odd time I go to a commie carp water, I drive in your direction to Lincolnshire. Sounds like a grim place.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just back from a splendid week in Keffalonia. I did a bit of winkling around the harbour but the bites are like lightning and I couldnt keep the bait on the hook. Only little blokes but great fun on a super light rod. I also tried spinning little spoons for the gars but they just wouldn't have it.
The evening I targetted the little blokes down the edge I didn't have my phone with me but I had a couple of rainbow wrasse and 3 unbelievable little chaps which I identified as ornate wrasse...google them.....incredible colours. The first pic is obviously a mullet but I haven’t a clue what the others are though I don’t think they’re crucian !

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
6 mackerel on feathers are a sensation not to be missed particularly on light tackle. Stunning fish and delicious. I once caught over 200 from a boat and cleaning the boat afterwards took an age.

mikench

Reaction score
The third pic is of ........er I hesitate to guess but a cow bream. It may have another name and I may be wrong. Lovely fish though.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Another complete blank on the canal this afternoon, brown bread, luncheon meat. Some pictures, the gear is about 200 years worth but that does include me. No birds either, not a kingfisher or a bird of prey usually spot them, very quiet all round. Might have another go in the week, clear-ish water and bright sun may not have helped but nice to be out. I put the butterfly in because I got that on full zoom from right on the edge of the water and was pleased with the result, about the best thing of the day.

P1000192.JPG
P1000188.JPG
P1000189.JPG

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Cow bream or Porgy.....I think that's probably right. I also had 2 or 3 fish that I'm pretty sure were White sea bream. The ornate wrasse were truly incredible looking things.

None of them were very big but that's not really important. One session I had about 8 of those mullet and it was incredibly good fun

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Yesterday morning on the GUC with the light lure gear using curly tail grubs on one rod and small floating plugs on the other.
Boats on the move at 6.30am making it even harder to find any interest until a micro pike grabbed the curly tail.
Jays hidden the tops of the oaks cackling away with a buzzards and green woodpeckers calling,plenty of dragon flies of all colours and sizes patrolling the rushes.
Perch not really switched on just nipping at the lures.
When the boat traffic suddenly picked up going both ways it was time to go.

john step

Reaction score
Yesterday morning on the GUC with the light lure gear using curly tail grubs on one rod and small floating plugs on the other.
Boats on the move at 6.30am making it even harder to find any interest until a micro pike grabbed the curly tail.
Jays hidden the tops of the oaks cackling away with a buzzards and green woodpeckers calling,plenty of dragon flies of all colours and sizes patrolling the rushes.
Perch not really switched on just nipping at the lures.
When the boat traffic suddenly picked up going both ways it was time to go.
Its been the duckweed stopping me on my usual canal light lure venue this year. Wall to wall. I pray for rain to flush it away.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My eldest granddaughter, Lexi aged eleven asked me to take her fishing, she wanted to step up from using a whip to fishing with a rod. I decided to go to a commercial fishery as I wanted it to be easy for her and also to have decent facilities. I had heard that there was a fishery in Edenbridge that fitted the bill. I hadn’t seen the fishery before but we set out to Gabriel’s Farm Fishery to give it a go. There is a barrier at the entrance and also a small tackle shop where you can buy your day tickets. It transpired that as I was a member of an angling club that had an arrangement with the fishery my ticket was the princely sum of two quid, Lexi’s was seven. We were informed that there was a match on the silvers lake, which would have been ideal for someone just starting out. The other lakes were really specimen lakes with the exception of one which held smaller carp. I plumped for that one. The track to the lake was in good order and not full of the usual potholes. I set Lexi up with a Darent Valley 11 ft rod and a Technium reel and float. It took a fair while for her to get the timing right when casting but by the end of the day she started to really get the hang of it. The swims were a bit tight for two and I don’t usually fish myself when I take the grandchildren but this time I set up a method feeder rod and cast to my right. I had the first fish and passed her the rod to play and land the fish which she did okay. She then missed a fair few bites by mistiming the strike. She caught one eventually and all her own work, her cast, her playing and landing. She was quite made up. She missed a few more bites then hooked and lost a decent carp to a hook pull, not much you can do about that as she was doing it right.
c0e426d65e5afd6b279507e8cb93f3de.jpg

We had lunch from the van on site, which seemed clean and the food was okay.

There were toilet facilities at the actual lake and these were clean and adequate. I had to laugh at the sign on the toilet wall though.
dbff7445b12ac79ff4f63dbfca664864.jpg

We had a pleasant day at Gabriel’s Farm Fishery. Lexi enjoyed herself and wants to go again. Next time I will have her membership sorted for my club which although the facilities are lacking in comparison have far better fishing.

tommos16

Reaction score
Not a good one today. Had a brief night fishing session on the Bridgewater canal with my friend last night, fishing Lamprey, 3 runs each and one 5lbish Pike landed on a single hook for me. Returned this morning at 6am anticipating we’d be there for bite time, same stretch, but there was not a single sniff on deadbaits. Managed two on Lures that were bait sized Pike if you were after a true monster. Ended up catching some decent Roach and Perch while trying to fish for small livebaits, but it just didn’t happen today. Same canal, 5 hours apart, and it was like two different waters.

Did find a nice stretch on the River Weaver near Frodsham that we fished for an hour but definitely deserves many more fishing hours. No negatives, just lessons learnt. I think…

Last edited: