How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Well done Gordon for trying it. It is a featureless expanse of water but worth a try. The fish were stocked in 2019 so have had 2 years or so to develop and prosper and it may be they have.
What are the other 3 pools like fishing wise ?;
I may take a run up there over the weekend to see what the place is like.

tommos16

Reaction score
Was rolling meat this morning on a tiny overgrown inner town stretch of river. After some success yesterday, a PB Chub no less, and two more hookpulls I went down again as I couldn’t resist.

Another two chub lost, before finally connecting…. To a Perch!

Certainly no monster, but, I don’t think I’ll catch many bigger on Meat
IMG_1997.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetthrough

Reaction score
@markcw As you come down the track, the first pool on your left and right aren't fishing too badly by all accounts. I fished the one on the far left last week and it wasn't great. Tuesday was the one on the far right of the approach track.

mikench

Reaction score
The two pools either side of the car park at the bottom of the hill are ok and Gordon and I enjoyed our recent trips. The new pool is covered in Gordon's last post. The second pool on the left as you descend the hill we haven't fished recently but is known as the specimen pool. We will be delighted to have a days fishing there with you Mark next month.

ian g

Reaction score
Was rolling meat this morning on a tiny overgrown inner town stretch of river. After some success yesterday, a PB Chub no less, and two more hookpulls I went down again as I couldn’t resist.

Another two chub lost, before finally connecting…. To a Perch!

Certainly no monster, but, I don’t think I’ll catch many bigger on Meat View attachment 17056

I saw a picture a guy posted last year on facebook of a perch caught while rolling meat on the Severn , I don't think he weighed it but it was a decent fish , I'd say at least 2 1/2 lb. One thing that I always think when fishing rivers is fish don't have hands so everything they want to inspect goes in their mouth . I had a spell of fishing just bread flake a few years back . I was targeting chub but I caught all sorts during that spell , pike , bream , barbel , roach , perch , even a salmon . Caught a few chub as well . Sometimes fish are just curious and I think perch sometimes are just aggressive .

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Decorating duties made me not able to get out last week, but went back to the public park today. Sweet corn picked out the better roach, the best one probably below.

2674D7D2-8DF8-494E-82E9-B3A84C95E775.jpeg

The rudd didn’t make an appearance today, possibly due to the conditions. Alternated between swim feeder and float fishing, the conditions were very windy, and I was missing many bites on sweet corn.
My normal friends the rats were helping themselves to spilt groundbait most of the day. They don’t bother me and are quite amusing to watch actually.
A new family of swans has appeared and occupied my swim for about 30 mins, looking for freebies on the bottom (it’s only 3ft deep) . Well at least I had an actual (enforced) stop for lunch

4CA8E83A-B3EE-488C-B013-333A63378F76.jpeg

The bonus of the day was when float fishing single corn on a size 16 , the float only bobbed halfway, not fully under, and I decided to strike resulting in this carp below. Not sure on weight but it’s length was 15/16 inches. I did get broken by another resident near the end, and I made that the last cast as was about to pack up anyway.

533CDCAD-6536-4437-9400-D441FA49F804.jpeg

tommos16

Reaction score
I saw a picture a guy posted last year on facebook of a perch caught while rolling meat on the Severn , I don't think he weighed it but it was a decent fish , I'd say at least 2 1/2 lb. One thing that I always think when fishing rivers is fish don't have hands so everything they want to inspect goes in their mouth . I had a spell of fishing just bread flake a few years back . I was targeting chub but I caught all sorts during that spell , pike , bream , barbel , roach , perch , even a salmon . Caught a few chub as well . Sometimes fish are just curious and I think perch sometimes are just aggressive .

Yeah good point! Those surprise captures are great fun as well, seem to mean more. A salmon on bread flake will take some beating though, but then I suppose people catch trout on bread all the time.

I shall basically just be doing this all winter I reckon so let’s see if some more surprises pop up

Keith M

Reaction score
A friend of mine (Gino) had a 16lb Pike within a few seconds of casting on the first day of the season a few years ago when he cast his strawberry flavoured boilee (meant for Carp) right in front of it.

I think it must have landed right near it’s head and it probably swallowed the boilee more out of instinct than anything else.

Keith

tommos16

Reaction score
That’s why we keep coming back isn’t it. The unknown.

Catching a Freshwater Mussel on a canal was my favourite, the float had dipped in the water and stayed there and I lifted up to check what was happening (Ruffe do this quite a bit I find, especially if your float is slightly overdepth) and lo and behold the mussel had taken the worm, size 16 and all, and was working away on it!

Philip

Reaction score
I had been baiting a couple of swims on the river but due to one thing or another conspiring against me I had not really been able to give them a real go. With September, one of the best months of the year, slowly slipping away I had to get out for a few hours. Arriving after 10pm in the dark is hardly ideal but you do what you can. The plan was to fish just one of the swims with Roach the target but after casting out I couldn’t settle. The conditions were good but I just didn’t get the “vibe” if I can put it like that. When some Easten European anglers then turned up at 10.30pm with telescopic rods and in literally miles of deserted bank moved in a few yards upstream of me it was the final nail. I packed up the gear bundled it into the car and drove down to the second swim.

I was touch ledering with the rod across my knee & second cast I had a firm tug on my finger and struck into a fish…the tell tale Eel like thump thump meant I knew what I had hooked and a few minutes later I landed a small Wels. Not ideal when your after Roach but at least it had now been removed from the swim. 30mins or so later I had another firm pull and struck into a fish that absolutely tore off downstream taking a lot of line…too fast for a Catfish, this was a Carp and by the feel a good one. With 6lb line size 10 hook & Avon rod I had to take things easy, the fish had taken a lot of line on several powerful runs and the river is very snaggy. I tried to keep it up in the water and started the slow pump back upstream. Several times it weeded me but steady pressure got it moving again. As it came in closer I caught a glimpse of a big bronze flank & it thankfully went into the net first time. Heaving it up the bank I could feel it was a good fish & peeled back the net to reveal a scale perfect torpedo of a common, a long fish with a big tail & no obvious signs of having been caught before. I know Carp are not eveyones cup of tea but these are wild fish born in the river and a far cry from those stocked at inflated weights in private lakes. I had left the camera back in the car & didn’t want to mess about so took a quick snap with the Phone and a torch for this thread and put it back. I had a few more casts and followed it up with another smaller dumpy common, again scale & fin perfect. & then called it a night. No Roach & I was completely knackered but I was happy to have at least got out and managed to catch.

These river Carp really can pull ! ..
Carpcommon.png

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
On our other pond yesterday, as the main one was closed for grass cutting etc, arrived at 7 am to find there was a cold northwesterly wind blowing from behind the peg I’d thought of fishing, didn’t fancy sitting in that all day, so picked a sheltered peg in the opposite corner, started on pole for one bream, so changed to method feeder for a selection of fish, then back to pole in margin for just one chub.
1BC24A02-E6B9-42F5-905D-172D7DB7CCAF.jpeg

81B977FE-D0AD-45BD-B841-3D4C8795160A.jpeg

93F52838-461F-4E4A-927A-C918AFDDFB48.jpeg

3FEC8442-B0DE-45D2-AB93-50166ABABB19.jpeg

CD502186-F30C-4C9F-B0C3-13BC630F0032.jpeg

It was on the cold side all day, I was wishing I’d brought a flask, instead of a bottle of squash, certainly feeling like autumn now, some trees starting to change colour, and a flight of wild geese flew over late afternoon, heading for the coast, which confirmed the time of year.

Attachments

• 319F9032-8E69-4031-95D6-FF449CE08DA2.jpeg
    319F9032-8E69-4031-95D6-FF449CE08DA2.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 57

tommos16

Reaction score
Another little drop into my little river swim, and another 3 bites with one landed… nothing huge but in such a tiny space they’re unbelievable fights. And I honestly don’t believe these fish have ever been caught before. Feels like it’s got potential this spot…
c9a6c53ac6fe16c7d6b48261e2eeee10.jpg

bullet

Reaction score
Just back from my second and probably last trip of the year to the Wye.
It was looking lovely in the early Autumn sun....

VID_20210921_095404241_exported_93.jpg

Headed straight to a nice trotting swim that was very good to me last time, it's considerably lower at the moment however. Had a cupper and fed a few pellets then ran down for the first time, float buried and I was in, turned out to be Barbel of about 5lb. " Here we go" I thought, but no more followed for the next half hour or so or at any of the times I revisited during the day.
I moved downstream a bit and could see some good Chub hovering about three quarters of the way across. I'd bought a light avon rod and fixed spool with me as well as the float gear so decided to freeline a decent piece of meat to the Chub, which they were on in a flash and I caught about half a dozen decent ones before they backed off.
I had been feeding some bits of meat, and now the Chub weren't so keen to pounce the freelined chunk was bumping along beautifully, and it wasn't long before the Barbel found it, once I had one, they kept coming with a few Chub in between, for a period you barely had time to pour a cup of tea before the tip was banging away. Great sport on the light avon.
As always, looking forward to my next trip, whenever that is....

wetthrough

Reaction score
Had yesterday on a nearby club pool. Wanted to have a go soon as in a few weeks it will be near unfishable due to the leaves. They're already starting to build up but thankfully on the opposite side which is where they stayed most of the day. No queus for fuel at 6:30am:)

BP_20210924_114532.jpg

Started of with maggot and caster neither of which worked as well as expected. Switched to punch which got a better response albeit small stuff. No interest in corn at all. Plenty of 2/3oz Roach and the odd small Perch. Decided for some reason to put a couple of reds on and pulled a nice little Crucian out a few moments later.

BP_Crucian-20210924_111908.jpg

Repeating the excercise didn't get me any more. Carried on switching between punch maggot and caster but couldn't tempt anything bigger and mostly small Roach not Rudd which I thought odd as there are plenty reasonable sized ones in there. I did finally get a common of around 4lb whch gave a good account of itself. Had a bit of a problem with it in the net though. Unhooked it, put the net in the water, turned the net and the fish is still attached to the net. Thought maybe I'd left the hook in the net but no it was back in the water. Renetted it to find the first dorsal spine if that's what they're called tangled in the net. There was no way I was going to be able to untangle it so cut the net from around it.

BP_Common_20210924_121703.jpg

Planned to call it a day at 3:30 buit still without a sizeable silver until 3:25 when I finally got a Rudd of around 5oz+. 8 or nine small Perch, one fat Gudgeon which was a nice surprise the rest being 2/3oz Roach, 48 in all.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Very nice Gordon, you do seem to have a great selection of lovely local venues . . . . .

Yes, I am lucky. There's no shortage of nice stillwaters near me. That particular one is quite remote and peacful the only downside being just a few pegs are fishable with the waggler due to the trees and I think there are only six pegs anyway. Including that one I have 4 within about 20min from home, one about 500M from home and the canal is only 3/4 mile from me should I wish to fish that section.