How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished a match at Windsor Thames today.
today, pole long with caster, just 1-10 0 fished hard. No fish of more than 3oz.
6EAD194B-250A-47D3-A2BE-3027D1D95561.jpeg
6EAD194B-250A-47D3-A2BE-3027D1D95561.jpeg
u

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Some excitement today, I hooked two bass, same lure same place as last time, same as last time they got offt. What a fight though, one I reckon was quite big, maybe 5/6lb+. However, I hooked them and played them so got a decent dose of excitement and believe me these are exciting to get on a lure; thump, then a quiet moment and then they really kick off, on a carp rod as well. Right, my treble is rusty and I should change it (serves me right for being lazy) but I don't think that is it, you have to really bully them to get them in side the pylons or they are lost and I think that is the problem but, I will change it. On the other hand the foreigners weren't having any problem with their little rods and weighted lures. between about 6 of them they must have had 20-30 bass. However, they did have drop nets for landing them but greedy sods, they seemed intent on wiping the whole shoal out from under the pier but I will save that controversy for another post.
I had a couple of surprise mackerel, the only one to have them, caught on my bass lure and another angler gave me this flounder, he also had a couple of decent plaice but offered me the flounder, he was with the bloke yesterday that gave me the bass. There are some very nice un-selfish anglers about!
Nice summery sea, the sediment has dropped out and the sea was calm; wind got a bit chilly later but a nice day in the main. I had to take advantage of the sea and weather, like August fishing, not going to get many days like this now..
I feel I let the side down, I tried to get the two in the picture but my lure/casting range just couldn't quite make it, I tried though, only joking.
P1000277.JPG
P1000278.JPG

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Went to a small river today, mainly to do a little bit of trimming as the Willows have grown a lot and a couple of swims, including one of my favourites,were unfishable due to various branches.
This one was now fishable after about 20 mins work....

IMG_20211010_121815818.jpg

I fed a few maggots before going elsewhere and pottering about with the saw and snips, returning about an hour later.
First run through produced a nice Dace, which I kept in the net with the idea of a little group shot..
This was the result of the first 5 trots....

IMG_20211010_121255672.jpg

I put these back and carried on, catching a mix of small Chub and nice stamp Dace, which was particularly pleasing as they've been a bit thin on the ground on that stretch the last few years.

Keith M

Reaction score
:) between about 6 of them they must have had 20-30 bass. However, they did have drop nets for landing them but greedy sods, they seemed intent on wiping the whole shoal out from under the pier

I may be wrong but; because of the over fishing of sea bass in our coastal waters I thought that I had read somewhere that there was currently a strict catch limit to the number of Sea Bass that we are allowed to kill and take away of just one bass per Angler.

As I said; I could be wrong of course. (I usually am)

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I may be wrong but; because of the over fishing of sea bass in our coastal waters I thought that I had read somewhere that there was currently a strict catch limit to the number of Sea Bass that we are allowed to kill and take away of just one bass per Angler.

As I said; I could be wrong of course. (I usually am)

Keith
Its two per angler per day up till November. And a 42cm size limit. I just found about the 2 per day but I did warn one of them one bass was too small, I told him it was the law. he just sort of replied ja ja and I am not sure if he put it back. I wasn't sure of the 2 limit though while I was fishing, had to look that up when I got home, it has changed recently and I don't keep up with it. Another angler on the pier told me had seen someone in a HI Vis jacket taking pictures of them, not sure what that was about but maybe there will be ructions. I don't mind the fish being taken and they were fishing well to get so many, they were very deft and diligent at what they did but, that's fine, that's angling but this was just greed and not nice to see, a couple of bass should be enough for anyone. I suspect this was financial gain of some sort or just foreigners ignorant of the rules or just ignoring them. I might have a word with the pier owners.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a strange but unusual day. I arrived at the river at about 12:30. It was a late start as I watched the boxing this morning.

As I mentioned in the morning thread; just as I turned up so did a group of people with open canoes and a dinghy. I don’t particularly have a problem with canoes unless there are dozens of the flaming things. As a young guy was getting into the dinghy an older guy called out to him in a rather plummy accent, “Rupert, Rupert, don’t forget the paraphernalia.” Now while I don’t mind canoes, I really don’t like people called Rupert, or for that matter people who use the word paraphernalia, lol. Anyway, a girl joined the guy in the dinghy and they set off towards my direction. Well, until the engine died and wouldn’t restart that is. You know how when an engine sounds like there is no way in the world that it’s going to fire up and you are usually right, well I am pleased to say I was wrong because after pulling the starter cord about twenty times it fired up and Rupert very nearly wasted daddy’s school fees as the dinghy hurtled towards the bank on full throttle. The noise an aluminium boat makes when it crashes full pelt into a high clay bank, is I must admit quite satisfying. It sounded like an empty Coca Cola can being stamped upon by a huge hobnail boot.
123f6bf03772b04666b19f8d38fb9b63.jpg

Hiawatha and his mate paddled past going upstream.

8da3eb439b87db10943b25e56698873b.jpg

The water was slightly up and a bit coloured. I started off with a fairly large weighted paddle tail rubber shad I had four pike up to about eight pounds. I worked my way upstream for about a mile or so. As the light started to fail I reached the confluence with a side stream. It looked good and I hooked into a better fish that as it reached the net leaped, tail-walked and shed the hook. The poor shad was pretty well trashed. I thought I would have a few more casts and finish.
a991b7dfb54a98f49443150c8be023b7.jpg

I changed the lure for a really large shad that weighed in at about 130 grams. A real beast. Next cast I hit onto a decent pike and I could feel it was really hefty, but it still came in fairly easy, then it woke up and went off on a
couple of runs. As it surfaced I could see that it was a large double, a very wide fish. I submerged the net and as I drew the fish towards it it broke surface and with a couple of head shakes was free. I felt sick, I looked at the lure and the split ring that secured the hook to the corkscrew was totally trashed.

5ed2689bbddbfc50d9b31458cedfd4ec.jpg

Oh well, I still had a better day than that bloody Rupert.

I am going to replace all of the rings on my shads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep

Reaction score
Some excitement today, I hooked two bass, same lure same place as last time, same as last time they got offt.
I'm a local and just brought a drop net, maybe we could meet up sometime and you can help me test it :) we've got a nice week's weather ahead of us

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Good morning, which river is that please Ray.? Let’s name some of the rivers we post about, not Locations or swims. I do.

I sometimes put the name of the river and sometimes not. I mentioned it without thinking on the morning thread. Some stretches of river are very easily identifiable by background.

As this is a public forum I don’t want to make it easy for anybody to find and hammer. I was the only angler down there on Sunday I would be perfectly happy for it to stay that way.

I made the mistake of putting a particular weir pool on my club’s Facebook page. I had forty perch and four pike from this pool in a couple of hours. I went to fish it twice afterwards and both swims were already taken. I fished it in roughly the same conditions and almost a year to the day after I mentioned It and managed just four very small perch in twice the time.

In my club there is a very nice friendly guy who is a local farmer and whose family farm some of the land our waters run through. He now has his own u-tube channel where he posts Video clips of some of the club waters fishing for barbel and river carp, amongst others. He is being taken to task by some of the members because some set lines were found on a stretch he publicised on his videos. It may be purely coincidental, but who knows? These days with; google earth, reverse image search, satellite imagery and StreetView, it’s hard to be discreet.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Are people really called Rupert?
I thought it was a joke.

It would seem so, usually the possessors of a loud braying voice, doncha know.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I sometimes put the name of the river and sometimes not. I mentioned it without thinking on the morning thread. Some stretches of river are very easily identifiable by background.

As this is a public forum I don’t want to make it easy for anybody to find and hammer. I was the only angler down there on Sunday I would be perfectly happy for it to stay that way.

I made the mistake of putting a particular weir pool on my club’s Facebook page. I had forty perch and four pike from this pool in a couple of hours. I went to fish it twice afterwards and both swims were already taken. I fished it in roughly the same conditions and almost a year to the day after I mentioned It and managed just four very small perch in twice the time.

In my club there is a very nice friendly guy who is a local farmer and whose family farm some of the land our waters run through. He now has his own u-tube channel where he posts Video clips of some of the club waters fishing for barbel and river carp, amongst others. He is being taken to task by some of the members because some set lines were found on a stretch he publicised on his videos. It may be purely coincidental, but who knows? These days with; google earth, reverse image search, satellite imagery and StreetView, it’s hard to be discreet.

Spot on observations!

I use Google Earth every day to search out new swims. YouTube has many videos of river fishing in France, it's amazing what clues you can find with a bridge in the background, even an easily identified hill can get you close on Google Earth.

Not many locals give away their marks on my local rivers, but there is still enough info online to get me started on a new swim most weeks.

I still have to tramp the banks or get the boat out - but it's great to have some clues first!

Should you feel a little "precious" about one of your better swims it's still best to say absolutely nothing!

Me? I am usually happy to put others on the mark. So little fishing pressure from the locals, there are times I would be glad to see another angler!

River Lot Steve home fishing.png

That's my Google Earth project started during one of the lock-downs. Since that screen shot was taken I must have doubled the number of swims I now know, the majority of them I have caught fish from.

Would love to see a few more UK anglers down here! ?

Reaction score
As certain clubs have publicity bans on their waters naming them and actually giving full catch breakdowns would be risking membership,odd fish pictures yes,but regardless many good rivers today are either hammered,poached,or both...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't mention where I fish as a rule, more because of trouble with trolls, this was a long time ago but I sort of made it a rule then which I stick too. Otherwise I wouldn't mind anyone knowing where I fish, unlikely to get a circus, in fact probably the opposite however, I am good at making rules for myself and sticking to them. I also rarely put a like in this thread and that's because I like all of them, take that as a given.

flightliner

Reaction score
Spot on observations!

I use Google Earth every day to search out new swims. YouTube has many videos of river fishing in France, it's amazing what clues you can find with a bridge in the background, even an easily identified hill can get you close on Google Earth.

Not many locals give away their marks on my local rivers, but there is still enough info online to get me started on a new swim most weeks.

I still have to tramp the banks or get the boat out - but it's great to have some clues first!

Should you feel a little "precious" about one of your better swims it's still best to say absolutely nothing!

Me? I am usually happy to put others on the mark. So little fishing pressure from the locals, there are times I would be glad to see another angler!

View attachment 17414

That's my Google Earth project started during one of the lock-downs. Since that screen shot was taken I must have doubled the number of swims I now know, the majority of them I have caught fish from.

Would love to see a few more UK anglers down here! ?
I see that Perigeuex is on your map Pelamid.
My daughter lived there for over a year.
Aparently its a really nice place with a pub called the Star and run by (then) an english couple.
Do you know it by any chance?

Philip

Reaction score
Let’s name some of the rivers we post about, not Locations or swims. I do.

With just the name of the river & a photo showing a distinguishable feature in the background (..e.g Bridge, Church spire, Road sign..etc..) you can easily locate the exact spot using google maps.

While some may be happy to share their own locations, naming someone elses river if you recognize it can inadvertently blow their precise fishing spot so care should be taken.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I see that Perigeuex is on your map Pelamid.
My daughter lived there for over a year.
Aparently its a really nice place with a pub called the Star and run by (then) an english couple.
Do you know it by any chance?
No, I have not been there. Periqeuex is just a place Google Earth placed at that zoom. The blue/yellow/red placemarks are swims I have visited, fished or have info of. I would say 50% of those I have now caught fish from, on my project I have links to my photos and video of the fish caught and river conditions.

When I am planning my next outing I cannot always remember where has fished best in the past. This Google Earth project acts as my diary and "aide-memoire" - well worth the initial effort of setting up and something I now enjoy updating with new info, photos and catches.