How did you get on?

bullet

Reaction score
Another trip to the river Don in the town centre yesterday for more Greyling, as ever it did'nt dissapoint in all the swims I tried from the fast and rocky to the long smooth glides tho generally the faster swims were more productive in both quantity and quality.
Twenty one fish in total that included three mad brown trout but not including numerous minnows that found my hookbait.
I'm thinking the next time I go to take my little lure rod and try for one of the big brown trout I keep hearing of, who knows even a Salmon maybe, they have been caught in the past few years, it's been on my mind a while now so I reckon its time to give it a go.
When we (I went with a friend) arrived at our intended swims we came upon this statue of Ganesh the Hindu god.
The strangest thing I ever found when out fishing, hope it was'nt stolen.

Ganesh being the god of new beginnings, maybe you should have a go with the lures.

nottskev

Reaction score
I had to ferry my sister to and fro for her car's MOT yesterday, so I was sorry to miss out on meeting up with Mick on the Don. Today a friend was twisting my arm to go on the river, but it was deadly just a few days ago, so I swerved that and decided to give the Old Lake a try. That was poor too, last time out and I went in a one-last-try kind of mood. It was a game of two halves. For the first two hours I was getting nowhere, despite taking the trouble to set up two rigs, a 4x16 spread bulk and dropper, and a 4X12 strung out, both with 18's on .10, and feed two swims with different mouth watering fish food. I was getting fed up and impatient; the winter fishing here used to be so good. I was sat there matching Mike's garden gnome pole angler description.

Ol 10.jpg

But a change to fishing 1' off the bottom in the 5' swim, and the float started going under, and didn't stop. I rarely see Everyone's Favourite Small Fish these days, but today I caught a dozen a foot off the bottom

Ol11.jpg

Last time here the biggest roach was perhaps 1 oz. This afternoon a good 10lb of these came along, mostly in the top 3'

ol12.jpg

Several perch around 1lb muscled in amongst a run of smaller ones. I tried to get a pic of the best but got my thumb instead.

The next time something bigger than a roach came along, it was something probably as rare as the gudgeon

Ol13.jpg

By now the afternoon is closing in. Some dudes begin to set up a bivvy on the far bank, and it strikes me (you forget what day it is when you retire) it's Friday evening and they're off tomorrow, of course. I'd been wearing sunglasses - the swim faces south west and I've got an eye problem just now - but I swapped for plain glasses and everything looked a bit less gloomy. After a few more roach, something pulls back harder and I assume it's the overdue carp. But it wasn't

Ol14.jpg

What a treat - a tench in November. I'm thinking, even though I've got a swim full of fish, I'd better start packing up and miss the worst of the traffic, when another big fish of some sort comes along and it takes a while to get it out

Ol15.jpg

That was a great afternoon's fishing. I thought the place had gone downhill, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

john step

Reaction score
I went back to a lake ( more a pond) where I had good bag of roach last week. Not a sniff.
Moved to adjacent pond. Same location. Same depths. Same temperature?
Resulted in 20 roach, 2 chub, 7 carp on wagglered reds and pinkies. I have been using Double Strength to a 16 B520 on here which seems fine enough for roach without getting smashed off by the carp.

The chub are unstocked and get in from a stream. They make a great diversion.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A lure fishing trip to the big reservoir this morning under overcast skies and very mild. A fantastic sunrise full of pinks and reds.
Starting near the valve tower I had six perch to around a pound, the second perch was grabbed by a pike that shot into view from the depths, I reckon it was around 15lb and soon got fed up playing tug of war ,let the perch go and disappeared.
Changing to a heavier lure rod and bigger lure I managed to get a 6lb pike second cast.
The bites understandably fizzled out so I moved along the dam without any luck. Noticed flocks of fieldfares and possibly redwings flying over and green woodpeckers sounding off in the woods and that most of the oak trees are now showing their autumn colours but need sunshine on them to make them really glow.
Helped a colleague who was feeder fishing deal with a pike which weighed in at 12lb after it had grabbed a bream.
Working my way back along the damn wall to where I started off I found the perch again and had another eleven to just over a pound.
Before leaving whilst consuming the last of the coffee, a red admiral butterfly flew past.

bracket

Reaction score
On Monday I fished a tried and proven peg on the river. After ten minutes I had a small grayling:
20211116_085113.jpg
so a modest start with more to come. More to come being a constant procession of struts( minnows for those who aren't familiar with the term). I couldn't find a proper fish no how. So after an hour of misguided anticipation it was early doors and away home. Now being a "Glutton for punishment", as my dear old Mum would delicately and unwittingly describe what is basically masochism, yesterday found me fishing the same peg. Second run through produced this:
20211119_081653.jpg
and next this:
20211119_102931.jpg
followed by similar quality of fish, totaling 20 in all, and not a strut in sight. Same peg, same tackle, same method, same bait. This is surely an example of the enigma of angling and the main incentive to keep going week in week out, as we do. I shuffled back to the car feeling quite delighted. Pete.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Out on the Chub again today on a different, much larger river.
It's usually not possible to fish here in the Autumn as it's way too high all the time, but at the moment it's at a very nice level and also crystal clear.
In season I fish it for Trout, and I get a few Chub on fly so I know the areas they tend to frequent.
The first spot had at least a dozen cruising about, from about a pound up to 3 plus.
I fed a few maggots, which at first they appeared cautious of, which is odd as no one fishes it, or maybe that was the reason?
After a while they started getting interested, so I fed a bit downstream to keep them near the willow they hang about, and give me more chance of getting the float in without spooking them.
First run through and a bite, which obviously turned out to be the smallest of the lot!
I fed a bit more then went down again, which produced another bite and a bit more weight this time, resulting in a nice little chunk of about 2 .5 lb...

IMG_20211120_103232968.jpg

I rested it for a while before going in again, but they had backed off and that was it for there, with a dozen or so trots producing nothing.
A bit of a walk to the next spot, which is a deep slack next to some fast water, you can just lower the float in and it pootles about quite nicely, which it was doing when it slowly sank, which I was expecting to be the bottom, but it turned out to be a better stamp of Chub....

IMG_20211120_113047940.jpg

Tried a couple more spots, one which I thought would be a banker produced nothing and one I just had a punt in only produced a Brownie.
I was going to have a go for the Grayling, but that required some reasonably deep wading to get to the better spots and it was a bit chilly, so called it a day.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
On Monday I fished a tried and proven peg on the river. After ten minutes I had a small grayling:
View attachment 18152so a modest start with more to come. More to come being a constant procession of struts( minnows for those who aren't familiar with the term). I couldn't find a proper fish no how. So after an hour of misguided anticipation it was early doors and away home. Now being a "Glutton for punishment", as my dear old Mum would delicately and unwittingly describe what is basically masochism, yesterday found me fishing the same peg. Second run through produced this:
View attachment 18153and next this:
View attachment 18154followed by similar quality of fish, totaling 20 in all, and not a strut in sight. Same peg, same tackle, same method, same bait. This is surely an example of the enigma of angling and the main incentive to keep going week in week out, as we do. I shuffled back to the car feeling quite delighted. Pete.

Some cracking Grayling there, Pete.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Fished the Dam Friday. Arrived about 7am with a little trepidation. Autumn means leaves and sometimes lots of leaves the Dam being surrounded by trees. Plan was to check out the leaf situation from the Dam head and maybe head somewhere else if it was too bad. As luck would have it there were plenty of leaves but on the opposite side to where I planned to fish. Slightly odd as the SW wind (about 10 O'clock in the pic) should have blown them towards me. Maybe there was enough wind to blow some off the trees but not enough to blow them across the flow from Dam top to bottom.

LD_Leaves_20211119_080015.jpg

Unpacked the stuff to find - no maggots, arrrrghh, I'm getting worse. All is not lost, I have caster, hemp ,Tares, bread and a small piece of meat. Not much though. No maggots leaves me seriously short of loose feed. Decide to soldier on. I'm not lugging all my gear back to the car and 40 minute round trip back home just for some maggots. Relatively mild start although I was well layered up and had both hand warmers with me. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Put some GB in at around 10M and loose fed a few caster and hemp about 4M to my right and about 2.5M out from the reeds. Got a bit of sun first thing which showed the Dam in its Autumn splendor. Just a single fly by of the Kingfisher.

LD_Autumn_20211119_132702.jpg

Picking up some nice but not huge Roach straight away from the near swim. The bigger fish going to Tares. Fishing sbout 12" off the bottom in around 5'.Fishing on the bottom doesn't seem to work in the near swim. I have a suspicion it might be quite rocky. Started fishing the 10M mark when the near swim went quiet but only small stuff and only to caster, they wouldn't look at the Tares on the bottom. Changed to using a 6mm Mainline pellet after loose feeding a few 4mm which started to get me a better stamp of fish, around the 4oz mark instead of around the 2oz mark. Had to wait much longer for bites though.

LD_Roach_b_20211119_143410.jpg

Not a bad day considering the time of year. Had maybe 7 or 8 netters, 29 in all and one micro perch.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fished the same place before that I caught that chub last week, not a bite except one possibly small roach wriggle on the float. Everything was the same except one "important" thing. This river is controlled by sluice gates at the sea end and they were firmly shut this time so no flow whereas before they were open and there was a lot of flow and I had a lot of bites then and a couple of decent chub albeit one lost. Its an odd thing with this type of river but they seem to feed a lot more when they are flowing.
P1000372.JPG

silvers

Reaction score
Second frost of this winter on the grass as we approached the river yesterday, the temperature had plummetted overnight.
Third round of the Bedford winter league and this time we were at Olney on the Great Ouse. A low, clear, stale winter river greeted our arrival and most competitors were expecting 5 pounds to be a mega weight. I drew a ten feet deep, wide swim that had very little discernible flow - especially with the upstream wind (which was brisk and chilling!). I was actually two pegs downstream of my last visit here a few weeks back so had a fair idea of what to expect.
I fed four lines ... but sparingly: chopped worm downstream against a patch of reeds, a maggot line at the bottom of the shelf at two rod lengths, bread punch (through a bait dropper) at 11m and also pinged a few casters across for the waggler as there were supposedly a few chublets by the overhanging trees.
I caught on every line that I’d fed ... but not a huge amount. the punch line was best for a few bites ... but they mostly tailed off after the first hour ... but I did snare two bonus skimmers on that line at intervals Plus three or four chublets around two ounces apiece.
on the waggler I just managed a few bleak, which wouldn’t come any closer, but were quite big for Olney.
On chopped worm I had one perch about ten ounces and then nothing more.
On the maggot line I managed to bump two larger perch immediately after going on that line but then nothing until the very end of the match.
with about twenty or so minutes left I went back out over the punch feed and had two more roach and two decent dace quickly ... then I came back inside on the stick float maggot line ... and I’m glad that I did! Second run down I had a slow bite which I stuck and met VERY firm resistance. I could tell by the thumping on the end that this was a decent perch, but I played it with trepidation as I was on a fine wire 20 to 0.09 hook length. Luckily it didn’t snag me and after some more thumps and short runs it came to the surface. I netted it gleefully and glanced at my watch ... 4 minutes to time, spawny git I am! It was around two pounds and made a good proportion of the six pounds and six ounces that I weighed in!
i was second in the section with that, Nigel Bass winning it with 7:8 off the upstream end peg. the match overall fished pretty hard and 9:4 won it. We had a mixed team result, two seconds ... but the other two anglers near the bottom of their sections, so ended up third on the day behind Vauxhall and Sensas Coleman’s.
Another old mate of Whitty’s, Rob Hewison, guested for Vauxhall and finished second on the day with 8 pound odd. Can’t keep a good angler down ...

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Fished the Dam Friday. Arrived about 7am with a little trepidation. Autumn means leaves and sometimes lots of leaves the Dam being surrounded by trees. Plan was to check out the leaf situation from the Dam head and maybe head somewhere else if it was too bad. As luck would have it there were plenty of leaves but on the opposite side to where I planned to fish. Slightly odd as the SW wind (about 10 O'clock in the pic) should have blown them towards me. Maybe there was enough wind to blow some off the trees but not enough to blow them across the flow from Dam top to bottom.

View attachment 18159

Unpacked the stuff to find - no maggots, arrrrghh, I'm getting worse. All is not lost, I have caster, hemp ,Tares, bread and a small piece of meat. Not much though. No maggots leaves me seriously short of loose feed. Decide to soldier on. I'm not lugging all my gear back to the car and 40 minute round trip back home just for some maggots. Relatively mild start although I was well layered up and had both hand warmers with me. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Put some GB in at around 10M and loose fed a few caster and hemp about 4M to my right and about 2.5M out from the reeds. Got a bit of sun first thing which showed the Dam in its Autumn splendor. Just a single fly by of the Kingfisher.

View attachment 18158

Picking up some nice but not huge Roach straight away from the near swim. The bigger fish going to Tares. Fishing sbout 12" off the bottom in around 5'.Fishing on the bottom doesn't seem to work in the near swim. I have a suspicion it might be quite rocky. Started fishing the 10M mark when the near swim went quiet but only small stuff and only to caster, they wouldn't look at the Tares on the bottom. Changed to using a 6mm Mainline pellet after loose feeding a few 4mm which started to get me a better stamp of fish, around the 4oz mark instead of around the 2oz mark. Had to wait much longer for bites though.

View attachment 18160

Not a bad day considering the time of year. Had maybe 7 or 8 netters, 29 in all and one micro perch.
Is that opposite the Baycliffe side Gordon ?;

bracket

Reaction score
I had another three hours on the river this morning. A good hard frost and 2C when I arrived on the bankside. I opted for this peg:
20211122_084424.jpg
It's a bit of a bog hole but I'd come prepared with a platform to stand on:
20211122_082834.jpg
I kicked off on stick float with a 20 hook plus red maggot and took a grayling early on:
20211122_085032.jpg
This was followed periodically with fish of this stamp:
20211122_094059.jpg

20211122_085515.jpg

So things were going to plan. After 90 minutes I had to go walk about, being troubled with a rheumatic pain in my right shoulder I attribute to old age and poverty. I had a good craic with a guy above me, who was picking up odd fish as he sat snuggled down on his chair fishing the feeder off his float rod and centre pin rig. Strange I thought but it worked for him. I went back and had more of the same for the next hour. I finished with 27 grayling plus a few trout. It was time then to pack up and take my Lady shopping at ASDA. So 90 minutes of trolley rage just to round the day off nicely. Pete

bracket

Reaction score
Lovely grayling again Pete, you seem to have got the hang of the pictures now.
markg. Yes I have bought myself a half decent phone and with help from my fellow members I have worked it out. Thanks all. Pete

john step

Reaction score
First pike outing of the winter on my lake to get the tackle sorted and get used to shark tackle as opposed to fine lines and hooklengths.
Although there was a frost last night the day was bright and I have a tanned face.

After reading about how good/preferable braid is when piking, this was a try out to newly spooled braid. No wind knots and no taffles ( Lincolnshire tangle)
Only one about 7 ish to try it out.
However this 7 pounder had teeth marks on its back and its belly. A lot bigger esox sister must have been to blame. Bodes well I think.

The Runner

Reaction score
Something different today, reckoned that with a change of wind the heavy seas up the North End might have dropped off a bit and decided to have a first go since I moved here on the shallow beach at Staffin Bay (had heard rumours of the odd bass there in the past in similar conditions , so....)
Got there just around low tide at 1 15, drizzly day to start with an unexpectedly fresh breeze off my back, and set up two hook rig, mackerel and squid cocktail on a 1/0 and lugworm on a 2 with a 5oz breakaway lead. Banged it out 100 yards or so, very shallow as expected, and tightened up as spikes dug in. Five minutes later, tip banged twice, hit it and a reasonable fish on. Which came off about 25 yards out in the surf. Didn't see it but suspect a decent flatfish of some sort. And then nothing ....as the waves built up with the incoming tide, started dropping a good bit shorter, at about 50/60 yards which put me just past where the waves started to break. After an hour as the light began to drop had a little rattle on the tip which came to nothing and next chuck had the worm stripped without seeing a bite. And that was that... had intended to stay until high water but rain started again at 5 45 so decided to call it a day.
No fish , so just view pics
Looking South to Garafad (one of the far line of houses has a vending machine outside in summer with langoustine tails and other seafood; not something you see everywhere...)
Staffin 22 11 2.jpeg

And out to sea; Flodigarry Island to L, Staffin Island R. The waves were a bit higher than they look on these pics- there were a couple of guys surfing/ bodyboarding off to my right most of the day
Staffin 22 11 3.jpeg

And behind me, Glasphein township with a cloud covered Quiraing behind.
Staffin 22 11 1.jpeg

Not much wildlife about, highlight an otter on the beach 50 yards to my left at dusk. Other than that just a few oystercatchers and hoodies.